Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

• 2 weeks later...

New obi wan kenobi spin off: YES!

Obi wan in the new trilogy: NO! it would be weird as he is never going to look like the aged guiness. As weird as anakin hayden in rotj....

Now, if they substitute guiness in the OT too, it could work :devil:

I'm not onboard.  I don't like the jarring aesthethic change, but really I just don't like the "ghost of dead character as exposition device" as used in Return of the Jedi.  If they do it, I'd hope it's just a brief voiceover thing.

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

Agreed, I'd rather see McGregor star in his own Obi-Wan movie that takes place between the PT and OT than I would him have anything to do with the ST.

This. As one of only two actors who actually made their characters work in the PT (the other being McDiarmid), I think he'd do wonders with the character under the auspices of a competent director.

Yea.  And the prequels actually made Obi-Wan into an interesting character.  I enjoyed seeing him investigating stuff in AOTC.

For the film to work besides him being fully on board and a good director, you really need a good, strong script.  A reason to show what he got up to between dropping off the twins with Owen&Lars, and him coming to Luke's rescue 19 years later.

Agreed!

Ewan probably gave the best performance all round in the Prequels. Though that really isn't saying all that much.

He certainly deserves a shot at the role with a good script and decent director.

The problem with Obi-Wan as silent protector of Luke has always been that the twins were separated and their identities hidden to keep them safe right?

So Obi-Wan takes Luke to the ancestral home of Anakin, to be cared for by his step-brother? There's no chance that Anakin, now Darth Vader, will ever turn his attention there?

To make things worse, Obi-Wan kinda hangs around the area. But to make sure his identity is concealed he atleast takes thd name Ben Kenobi, rather then Obi-wan Kenobi.

The prequels ruined everything by having Anakin be born and raised on Tatooine, and Owen&Lars be actually related to the Skywalkers.

It was better when Tatooine was a true backwater, nothing important planet chosen to hide Luke on because its so obscure, and that Owen was actually Obi-Wan's brother.  This was filmed for ROTJ during the log conversation but cut from the final film, though still appears in the novelization.

Anakin should have actually never been named Anakin Skywalker in the Prequels. That should have been the name of Luke's adoptive "aunt and uncle".

The real issue of course lies in making Vader and Luke father and son at all. Even as early in the franchise as TESB it caused a few continuity issues that needed to be adressed.

The Tatooine and Skywalker connection really undermine the idea that Ben put Luke into hiding as a baby for his own survival. When you put somebody into witness protection, you change their name and move them across the country. If you can change planets, that's a perk.

"The Emperor knew as I did, if Anakin were to have any children, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous."

But not you. You kept your father's name and were raised in his mother's home. It's a miracle your father assumed you really were dead and the Empire keeps such shoddy census records on Outer Rim worlds, especially those where their leaders lived. 

Well being a step brother he barely knew, anakin would not think twice about him. And he thought that the baby had died. And tattoine is a backwater world, not controlled by the republic-empire by 19 BBY. Being an inconsequential world, it's very unlikely that the Skywalker name would get famous outside it... (an owen really tried to make look not destacable...)

i'm more concerned by how in the hell anakin could not feel two babies inside padme.

Apologism? From you? ;)

If you need to hide a boy from his evil, murderous father then you don't drop him at his actual family and let him keep his last name.

That would not happen in the real world, nor should it happen in a galaxy far...far away!

These Jedi never heard of the witness protection program, obviously!

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

If you need to hide a boy from his evil, murderous father then you don't drop him at his actual family and let him keep his last name.

That would not happen in the real world, nor should it happen in a galaxy far...far away!

These Jedi never heard of the witness protection program, obviously!

Pretty much.

Anyway...we are talking about an officially unborn child, buried inside her mother.

Why would vader look for him?

It is stupid because when the moment arrived and luke became trained, help the rebellion and be known in the galaxy, Vader and the emperor would know who would he be, having the skywalker surname. but as a baby and kid he was pretty safe.

I wonder what would have happened if Luke had submitted his application to the Imperial Academy prior to finding the droids. Would the Empire's computer system throw up a red flag at his unique surname and grant him a special visit from a special guest professor? 

No, the Academy was the Imperial Academy. Luke wanted to train to be an officer or pilot for the Empire because that was his best career path to get off Tatooine, even though he hated the Empire. He assumed he was too far from the Rebellion, who didn't operate in the open, at least not before its major victory at Yavin. 

Biggs Darklighter went to the same Academy before defecting to the Rebellion. Luke figured he'd need to make the same career choice if he were to have any skills the Rebellion could use, all before he knew he was Force sensitive. 

I think it is the imperial academy. Tattoine is part of the empire in 0 BBY. I think. or at least jabba let's them have a base stationed there...

It could be an academy to learn to fly commercial vessels....

17 minutes ago, Woj said:

No, the Academy was the Imperial Academy. Luke wanted to train to be an officer or pilot for the Empire because that was his best career path to get off Tatooine, even though he hated the Empire. He assumed he was too far from the Rebellion, who didn't operate in the open, at least not before its major victory at Yavin. 

Biggs Darklighter went to the same Academy before defecting to the Rebellion. Luke figured he'd need to make the same career choice if he were to have any skills the Rebellion could use, all before he knew he was Force sensitive. 

But i think biggs is working on a comercial carrier, in the deleted scene.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Anyway...we are talking about an officially unborn child, buried inside her mother.

Why would vader look for him?

It is stupid because when the moment arrived and luke became trained, help the rebellion and be known in the galaxy, Vader and the emperor would know who would he be, having the skywalker surname. but as a baby and kid he was pretty safe.

This illustrates how the Dark Side operates through deceit and treachery. 

Palpatine knew Anakin and Padme were married, but only Anakin knew she was pregnant. He kept that a well protected secret. He didn't detect twins, possibly if the Force was weaker in one. 

When Palpatine tells Vader that he killed Padme, he's lying of course because she hadn't succumbed to her broken heart yet. But the lie reinforces Vader's anger and cuts off the last tie to his youth. His faith and trust in his master are absolute so he never investigates Padme's survival, but I suspect he never tells Palpatine of the pregnancy. Had he, Palpatine should have searched the galaxy to ensure his guess/lie came true, knowing of the prophecy and all. 

Fortunately, Luke never becomes famous so the Skywalker name stays hidden until news of the Rebellion's hero at Yavin reaches the Empire. While the Skywalker name may be common in the galaxy, Skywalkers from Tatooine would have to be related to Anakin because duh. Based on prequel logic, there should have been some argument there. "I didn't know she was pregnant." "Well I didn't know she was alive!"

But alas, searching for an unknown Skywalker heir becomes an untidy prequel loose end, like allowing Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda to survive in hiding for so long. 

According to Bob Iger, filming has just begun:

Filming of Star Wars: Episode 8, the next chapter of the legendary saga, has just commenced and it will be in theaters December, 2017. And production of Episode 9, a 2019 release, has also begun"

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/02/bob-iger-star-wars-rogue-one-is-nearly-done-episode-viii-is-filming-and-more.html

17 hours ago, Woj said:

This illustrates how the Dark Side operates through deceit and treachery. 

Palpatine knew Anakin and Padme were married, but only Anakin knew she was pregnant. He kept that a well protected secret. He didn't detect twins, possibly if the Force was weaker in one. 

When Palpatine tells Vader that he killed Padme, he's lying of course because she hadn't succumbed to her broken heart yet. But the lie reinforces Vader's anger and cuts off the last tie to his youth. His faith and trust in his master are absolute so he never investigates Padme's survival, but I suspect he never tells Palpatine of the pregnancy. Had he, Palpatine should have searched the galaxy to ensure his guess/lie came true, knowing of the prophecy and all. 

The Vader hissy fit scene is just after padme dies. As tipycal in cinema, the scene could happen hours or a day after padme's death even if it's placed just after it.... At that time, since she has a public State funeral, news of it would have reached the chancellor's office as she was a senator. So the Emperor knows she is dead.

Oh and she is cremated (in usual Naboo custom i presume) since they are carrying her to a similar pantheon as qui-gon's funeral... and she is still looking pregnant. So everyone thinks the baby never was born, and both are cremated so noone can investigate it afterwards....

He was one of the only actors who did an admirable job. I think most of that is because he was perfectly cast in the role. With good writing and directing, which VIII will certainly have, it'd be great to have him back in whatever (probably minor) capacity. 

Nice! Not expecting a huge role for her, but hope she gets more to do than Von Sydow did. 

And Benicio Del Toro wasn't official until now, right? Just assumed? The rumors about him playing a new villain sounded cool.

Here's the text of the announcement

Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on February 15, 2016.

Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson and continues the storylines introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis.  New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

Star Wars: Episode VIII is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski. Joining the production crew will be some of the industry’s top talent, including Steve Yedlin (Director of Photography), Bob Ducsay (Editor), Rick Heinrichs (Production Designer), Peter Swords King (Hair and Make-Up Designer), and Mary Vernieu (US Casting Director). They will be joining returning crew members Pippa Anderson (Co-Producer, VP Post Production), Neal Scanlan (Creature & Droid FX Creative Supervisor), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Jamie Wilkinson (Prop Master), Chris Corbould (SFX Supervisor), Rob Inch (Stunt Coordinator), Ben Morris (VFX Supervisor), and Nina Gold (UK Casting Director). 

Star Wars: Episode VIII is scheduled for release December 15, 2017.