Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

So I don't think the fact that Williams already recorded music necessary means it's for the teaser (although I suppose it could be, in theory, if they're getting it ready early). 

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

How could this guy have recording sessions with John Fucking Williams and not tweet or Instagram about it? I'm OUTRAGED!

Rian better kiss some major ass at the SW Celebration panel in April!

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Rian better kiss some major ass at the SW Celebration panel in April!

Just occurred to me they might premiere some music at Celebration considering the entire score will probably have been recorded by then!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just occurred to me they might premiere some music at Celebration considering the entire score will probably have been recorded by then!

And/or maybe they'll use something at Comic Con if they do a trailer or another BTS reel there.

Wonder if they'll be more inclined to use Williams in the trailers/spots closer to release as well.

I'm inclined to doubt that Celebration and marketing will have more new Williams than TFA, though.

Lucasfilm almost entirely avoided letting us hear the TFA score before release, despite recording having started in June and everything being done by mid-November (a month before film release, just as the major publicity push was kicking into high gear). While I wish Ep. VIII will be different, I kind of doubt it. 

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well they started using The Jedi Steps in a trailer not long after it was recorded, very effectively I might add.

Well, yes, but that was it! 

Considering they'd been recording music since June 1, that's not very much! 

It is now my belief that Rey will find out that she is a Child Of The Force. The Chosen One, like Anakin. But he was born from the Dark Side, she came pure, out of the Light! She emerges as the Anti-Christ of the Darth Vader. She is the TRUE redeemer!

Oh yeah I'm high!

Well if you boil down the prequels to their core idea, that's what Lucas was trying to do. He says so himself in one of the commentaries.

It's not like Johnson's calling them some masterwork of cinema.

Carrie Fisher Wrapped ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ Before Her Death

The “Star Wars” films sometimes involve reshoots and re-looping — sometimes extensive ones, as was the case with the new “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” — an individual with knowledge of the production said that Fisher had completely finished her scenes on the new film.

From a storytelling perspective, I'd expected Leia would only be supporting in VII & VIII and would have a more prominent role for IX, bringing her son back to the light side. VIII seems to be Luke-centric as VII was Han-centric, so I'd assumed IX would be Leia-centric (given her relationship to the trilogy's primary villain).

I just hope Luke and Leia got to film some kind of reunion scene for VIII though, if only so we can see the two share the screen one last time. They have such delightful chemistry.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The most efficient way would be to leave Episode VIII alone and write her off in Episode IX. 

You can't just write that character off the screen. There has to be something more than that, assuming Leia was planned to be in IX. 

2 minutes ago, Red said:

You can't just write that character off the screen. There has to be something more than that, assuming Leia was planned to be in IX. 

Without knowing what happens to Luke or Leia in Episode VIII, we can only guess. For all we know, Luke dies at the end of VIII and they might rewrite the whole ending and keep him alive (and he will take Leia's planned role for Episode IX). Or maybe the reverse is true and the film ends with Leia confronting Kylo Ren?

What is clear, sadly, is that Luke is the last Skywalker now. :(

6 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

But his nephew is still alive.

Surely he won't survive the trilogy though, barring some plot twist.

It would be nice for Luke to have a happy ending and begin a successful new Jedi Order (especially after losing all his friends and family :() but I'm sure Rey will take up that mantle. I'm guessing there will be a heartbreaking scene at the end of IX that mirrors Darth Vader's death.

5 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

I wonder if she dies in Episode VIII.

I don't see that happening unless that was in the original script.

I could see them doing some reshoots to accommodate Fisher's death and set things up for Episode IX.

1 hour ago, Red said:

No there doesn't. Years pass between 8 and 9 and she dies in between. Explain what happened in 9 and keep it moving. 

Depends who you mean by "we", but "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet" has certainly remained a memorable moment in the show's run for many people, yes.  Absolutely.