Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

On 12/27/2016 at 11:41 PM, Koray Savas said:

No there doesn't. Years pass between 8 and 9 and she dies in between. Explain what happened in 9 and keep it moving. 

That could work, although I'm not sure if it would do the character justice. If they had Leia leaving 8 better than ever (I'm making a big assumption there though) then it would be abrupt and unsatisfying to suddenly add a tribute to her death in 9. 

Of course perhaps Leia's final scene in 8 (assuming she survives) is sentimental and a good send off. 

Ultimately it'll depend on the nature of where 8 was going to leave her character. Seems to me the most difficult situation for them would be if they've established Leia by the end of the film as a really strong presence with indications of a major narrative role in the finale. That would probably require some adjustment to 8, ideally only re-editing but possibly some level of re-writing/re-shooting. The idea of leaving you in suspense with her going off to find Kylo Ren or something, you can't just go "And then she died!" in the crawl. 

If the film was planned to leave Leia in some kind of mortal peril or if she was kind of a non-issue, then that's probably something they could more easily work around. It is sort of hard to imagine a scenario where she actually survives the saga. I don't think they'll CG her in a major dramatic role, and I'm not sure if it'd be satisfying at all to have her just hanging around but basically inactive, or knowing she's alive but somehow entirely absent from 9 only for her CG counterpart to show up briefly at the end like a repeat of TFA. "Leia Organa has vanished" Poetry!

I always had imagined she'd have to meet her son again at some point, but I think having her dead could play into Kylo's arc just as well. He ends up orphaned and alone just like his hero. So you kill Leia off in 8, Luke in 9, and then have them show up as Force Ghosts at the end and they can throw the blue filter on some pleasant shot of Carrie....hell, might as well throw canon to the wind and get Han in there too. The reunion everybody wanted! (...?)

Just now, Stefancos said:

My prediction:

Han died in ep 7

Leia dies in ep 8

Luke dies in ep 9

See, I've been thinking that Luke will probably die in 8.  Probably sacrificing himself like Kenobi.

My other pet theory could still turn out to be true: that Luke has turned to the Dark Side and ends up killing Leia (imagine the response that'd get!).  We already know that Hamill plays evil better than good anyway.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I doubt they would go there, and i'm not sure I want them too.

Yeah I don't think it's something I'd necessarily want, but I do want them to make a really bold choice of some kind though.  I love TFA but bold it ain't.

47 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Ultimately it'll depend on the nature of where 8 was going to leave her character. Seems to me the most difficult situation for them would be if they've established Leia by the end of the film as a really strong presence with indications of a major narrative role in the finale. That would probably require some adjustment to 8, ideally only re-editing but possibly some level of re-writing/re-shooting. The idea of leaving you in suspense with her going off to find Kylo Ren or something, you can't just go "And then she died!" in the crawl.

"And then her son killed her!"

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

General Leia Organa died! Her absense has caused the Resistance to splinter. The First order is using the ensuing chaos to tighten it's hold and broaden it's grasp....

As the Resistance grows weaker, Supreme Leader grows stronger, and orders the construction of a second Starkiller Base. Unaware of this dramatic turn of events, one-armed Rey goes back to Jakku, to deliver Poe Dameron from the clutches of Jubbu the Hatt...

The most interesting story turn I could imagine is Rey turning dark side while Kylo Ren regrets his actions from the previous film.

Then it becomes Ren who has to turn Rey back because he doesn't want her to make the same mistakes he did.

I dare say that would be REALLY unexpected!

John Williams would probably hate it though, considering how fond he is of Rey's character...

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

My other pet theory could still turn out to be true: that Luke has turned to the Dark Side and ends up killing Leia (imagine the response that'd get!).  We already know that Hamill plays evil better than good anyway.

I imagine Luke will have a bitter edge to him in 8, but I agree with Pieter that I think they'd sooner send Rey to the Dark Side if they were really going to explore that route with a hero.

I'm not sure we'll get anything much "bolder" in this trilogy than killing off the OT protags, though. It's a relative term, anyway, and easier to qualify in retrospect. You could say killing off Han Solo and forgoing a reunion with Luke/Leia in the first Disney-produced Star Wars movie written/directed by JJ Abrams was more unexpected than other alternatives, even though it doesn't seem like much now. I remember a fake plot summary that speculated the big "sacrifice" was that they were gonna blow up the Millennium Falcon...

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

I imagine Luke will have a bitter edge to him in 8, but I agree with Pieter that I think they'd sooner send Rey to the Dark Side if they were really going to explore that route with a hero.

I'm not sure we'll get anything much "bolder" in this trilogy than killing off the OT protags, though. It's a relative term, anyway, and easier to qualify in retrospect. You could say killing off Han Solo and forgoing a reunion with Luke/Leia in the first Disney-produced Star Wars movie written/directed by JJ Abrams was more unexpected than other alternatives, even though it doesn't seem like much now. I remember a fake plot summary that speculated the big "sacrifice" was that they were gonna blow up the Millennium Falcon...

It's true, there definitely was a certain boldness to placing so much trust in the new characters to carry the movie mostly.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's not really bold when you realize kids could hardly relate to old fossils, if they were to carry the movie.

Maybe boldness isn't the right word. Confidence?

I daresay if the current version of VIII has Luke dying and Leia surviving, this will be re-shot so the outcomes are reversed and Luke can take Leia's planned role in IX.

I can easily see them having planned for Leia to be the last surviving OT hero, with her most significant role being in IX turning Ren back to the light side. Of course, Luke has a similarly compelling relationship with Ren, given what happened to his New Jedi Order. Luke taking that role in IX makes narrative sense.

Either Luke or Ren will surely sacrifice themselves to save Rey in IX, if they want to echo the ending of ROTJ.

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

So you kill Leia off in 8, Luke in 9, 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

My prediction:

Han died in ep 7

Leia dies in ep 8

Luke dies in ep 9

Cremeritis! 

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

See, I've been thinking that Luke will probably die in 8.  Probably sacrificing himself like Kenobi.

I wasn't expecting anyone to die in VIII after having Han go in VII, fulfilling the mentor role who gets killed ala Kenobi and Qui-Gon in Episode I. It always happens during the first part of a trilogy. But now it's up in the air. I could see Leia dying in VIII. If they change some things around it could be the cleanest, best way to close up that character's arc without having to do any questionable CG gimmickery. 

I see Star Wars paralleling the Nolan Batverse. Harvey Dent dies but the Joker actor dies, which may or may not affect the sequel. Han dies but Leia's actress dies. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I can easily see them having planned for Leia to be the last surviving OT hero, with her most significant role being in IX turning Ren back to the light side. Of course, Luke has a similarly compelling relationship with Ren, given what happened to his New Jedi Order. Luke taking that role in IX makes narrative sense.

Yeah that was always pretty much my feeling that with Han out of the picture, the finale would come down to a mother/son relationship to mirror Luke/Vader. And if Rey turned out to be Luke's, then you're dealing with themes of mothers and daughters. I always sorta felt like it would have been poignant for Luke and Kylo Ren to die, leaving Leia and Rey to pick up the pieces of their broken family and form a surrogate mother/daughter relationship. Seemed like something they might do with this trilogy, leaving us with the image of these two women. But alas.

I prefer to think now that Luke will survive and he and Rey will come together as family at the end, but I dunno. I also saw an interesting theory awhile ago that her parents might not be significant, but somebody we know perhaps killed them....Luke? Kylo Ren? Maybe even Han in a nasty run-in with Jakku mercenaries (that why he seemed to recognize her?) But that could introduce a bit of dark vengeance to her character, plus a cool nod to the "Obi-Wan killed your father" fake out line from ESB. Not sure where something like that would lead.

Obi-Wan doesn't remember owning a droid. 

Vader doesn't remember his protocol droid. 

Vader can't detect the Force in his daughter even with the ginsu of torture droids. 

They'll be able to retcon any corny excuse. 

Maybe he feels that when he was a Jedi, he never owned Artoo. He was just a tool, company property, first of the Naboo then the Jedi, before passing to the Rebel Alliance with Jimmy Smits. He never belonged to Kenobi. 

We do not need another movie where he says, "what I told you was true, from a certain point of view." 

The Death Star having a weakness is as much of a plot hole as Achilles having a weakness in the Iliad. 

I hope there will be an even bigger Starkiller base in IX. And that many Rahtars die while trying to provide Resistence with the information about it.

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I hope there will be an even bigger Starkiller base in IX. And that many Rahtars die while trying to provide Resistence with the information about it.

Karol

What? The Bothans aren't enough for you anymore?

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Either Luke or Ren will surely sacrifice themselves to save Rey in IX, if they want to echo the ending of ROTJ.

I really hope they DON'T want that. TFA was one big echo. Time for something less echo-ey, perhaps? :P

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But it's fits the Star Wars Ring Theory! History repeats itself!

True. It'd get a bit samey-samey after a while though.

Based on what has come before, "history repeating itself" seems to mean "drama, drama, drama with nothing ever resolving".

What I'd like to see more than a circle of "same old, same old", is characters breaking that circle so that new stuff might happen.

Whatever that new stuff might be!