Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

You know, based on the wording Johnson has used in this and other interviews, there's absolutely nothing to stop him from showing the next "moment" after the end of VII and then cutting ahead a month or a year.  I'm not predicting this necessarily, but it could happen.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You know, based on the wording Johnson has used in this and other interviews, there's absolutely nothing to stop him from showing the next "moment" after the end of VII and then cutting ahead a month or a year.  I'm not predicting this necessarily, but it could happen.

Hmm, you're totally right. I hadn't thought about that. But I could totally see Rey saying "How do I become a Jedi like you?", Luke saying, "I'll show you the ways of the force," and then them skipping ahead to several months or even a year into training. 

11 hours ago, toothless said:

More from Rian Johnson

"I want it to be a blast and to be funny and to be a ride the way The Force Awakens and the original Star Wars movies were."

"I wanted to know more about each of them, and that doesn’t just mean information or backstory. Figure out what’s the most difficult thing each of them could be challenged with now — let’s throw that at them and dig into what really makes them tick by seeing how they handle that."

The new film from the start will explore the relationship between Luke (Mark Hamill) and Rey, who shows up on his remote intergalactic island with his old lightsaber “both not knowing what’s going to happen and also having a lot of expectations in her head about how this is going to go,” Johnson says. “It very much feels like what we all go through in adolescence, the dawning of this new chapter of our lives." The director adds that the deepening of familial themes in Episode VIII is "a huge part of especially Rey’s character, something that was a really powerful part of her setup and something I really wanted to dig into with this."

A longtime fan of Hamill's enigmatic Jedi, Johnson thinks "What's going on with Luke Skywalker?" is the essential question at the heart of the new film. "I’m approaching it with a take that I hope feels honest and real and is going to be interesting to folks and make sense.”

“[The title] was in the very first draft I wrote,” Johnson says. So how bad does he want to get that big secret off his chest? “I’ll just blurt it out right now!” he jokes. “All in good time, my friend.”

On 10.1.2017 at 11:08 AM, BloodBoal said:

Yes! What Star Wars always lacked was a good training montage!

And think of all those great winding stairs on that remote Jedi island. Rey carrying Luke on her back while hiking up and down those stairs with the new improved disco/orchestral version of Lapti Nek (with Sanskrit lyrics) playing in the background!

28 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

Still nothing from Rian Johnson regarding JW. JJ was basically fanboying. I'm not 100% convinced RJ even knows JW is scoring his film

He's also been fairly tight lipped about the film too to be fair.

3 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

He's also been fairly tight lipped about the film too to be fair.

By this point for VII, the marketing machine was humming along (trailer, interviews, etc.).  Obviously with RO still out, they are holding off saying much about VIII, score or otherwise.  I know Williams is always collegial, but I am looking forward to what he says about working with Johnson.  Will he be merely professionally polite, or genuinely effusive (which I think he was for Abrams). 

I recall at this time in TFA's schedule we didnt hear very much at all. I mean it's nearly a year still. The film is still in post-production. There is a Star Wars film still playing in the cinema. There's absolutely no point of releasing anything but tiny morsels right now.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

That's true. We know absolutely nothing about what her role is in this film and what it might have been in the next one.

We know a little:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/carrie-fisher-episode-viii-how-star-wars-will-handle-leias-future-960849

27 minutes ago, Romão said:

If my memory serves me right, JJ's first mention of working with John Williams was the Star Wars Celebration in April 2015

Here's that transcript, if anybody wants it:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=7567

That's the earliest mention I found on the home page searching "force awakens."

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I'm sure the topic will be broached at Celebration in April, seeing as most of the film should be scored by that point. Aren't the remaining sessions through March/April?

Yep. 

and expects to record off and on through March or April 2017.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

But if there are more than one, then they're not really the last!

Imagine a jar with 12 cookies. After you eat 5 of them, would you refer to the remaining cookies as "the last cookies"? No, because there wouldn't be much of a point in doing that!

True, but we didn't go from 12 to 5, we went from thousands to 5.  If you ate a thousand, you could reasonably call those 5 "the last cookies."

This is my favorite debate we've ever had on this forum.

For a generation, Yoda and Obi-wan were the last* Jedi.

Then Luke came around.  Obi-wan and Yoda croaked, and Luke was the last Jedi.

Then Luke trained a bunch of Jedi and they were the last Jedi.

Then Kylo Ren killed them all and Luke was the last Jedi again.

Then Rey came along and she and Luke were the last Jedi.

*barring a Kanan and Ezra or two

Additionally, Jedi is a specific category of force user.  Jedi and Sith are not a binary.  Rey is a force user without an affiliation (we assume Jedi eventually).  Kylo Ren is a Knight of Ren.  Inquisitors (Rebels/books/comics) are dark force users who are non-Sith.  Ahsoka practiced the light side of the Force through the time of the OT, but left the Jedi order in S5 of TCW.

So maybe Luke and Rey become something else.