Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You'd really need a big jar to hold a thousand cookies. And eating a thousand cookies would probably kill you, too. You're not making any sense.

I call a thousand cookies "lunch."  You healthy Europeans forget how we fat Americans don't fuck around.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

But do you stop eating your cookies when there are only 5 left?

Yes, it's Constitutionally mandated that there be enough cookies to make important legal judgments in the event of the Supreme Court being incapacitated.

First Star Wars whose title appeared in the opening crawl of a previous film?

Episode VII
THE FORCE AWAKENS

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts….

Indeed, for the Resistance and the New Order, Luke IS the last Jedi.

Only Kylo Ren is aware of the powers of Rey.

It reminds me the title of Episode 6 (Return of the Jedi), where the title refered to more than one character...

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

First Star Wars whose title appeared in the opening crawl of a previous film?

Episode VII
THE FORCE AWAKENS

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts….

I'd like the last one to be Ashes of the Empire then, which also taken from that opening crawl. Sounds so cool.

3 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Well...it is a very pedestrian title, but at least it makes more sense that 'force awakens'...

The Force Awakens makes perfect sense as a title if you consider the story. Snoke actually refers to it, and you can literally see the Force awakening in Rey.

Just now, Alex said:

It's a very real possibility that none of the big 3 from the OT will survive this trilogy 

It is time to hand the lightsaber to a new generation. Star Wars the Next Generation.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

It's a very real possibility that none of the big 3 from the OT will survive this trilogy 

It's what is going to happen.

If they had made them 30 years ago...they would have been the main cast for another 3-6 films, but now they are just supporting the next generation.

Maybe luke will appear as force gosht or voice, if Rey still need his advice in episode X. But if Hammill retires they could still use McGregor, or CGI yoda and a Frank oz impersonator...

I just hope they don't play on the unvariable state of the word "Jedi" (One Jedi, two Jedi).

For many translations, like in French, they will have to make a wise choice (Le dernier Jedi or Les derniers Jedi).

You are surprised, Manuel?

In all fairness I always figured Leia would survive. But now that Carrie Fisher is dead, they will probably kill of Leia in some way.

Both Luke and Han deserted Leia, and their duty in a way. Han went back to being a smuggler instead of trying to get his son back. Luke ran after Kylo turned on him.

Both deserve deaths from a purely dramatic point of view. Though Luke's will be redemptive in nature.

Lia never stopped being part of the rebellion, even though it's now called The Resistance. And she never gave up hope on her son. She doesnt deserve death. It's a pity Fisher died.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I hope they don't play on the unvariable state of the word "Jedi" (One Jedi, two Jedi).

For many translations, like in French, they will have to make a choice (Le dernier Jedi ou Les derniers Jedi).

Same here! We already got wrong ROTJ (singlular jedi)  and correct ROTS. (Plural sith)

ROTJ works to some extent, since it's only luke, but since it means a new jedi order will return with him, plural goes better with the ROTS title.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You are surprised, Manuel?

Im not surprised.

I knew all three were going to die.

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

both the actors and characters. 

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

It's a bit of a shame to think that, before this new trilogy, we left these characters young, enthusiastic and optimistic for the future, after a brilliant victory against the Empire! With a new world about to be born!

And now we'll leave them with pitiful deaths, as old fossils, killed by an enemy they had already defeated but that returned somehow...

:(

Indeed!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Indeed!

The Mouse doesnt agree with this very pessimistic point of view and would rather present Star Wars as a symbol of eternal hope, especially in these dark times.

3169265854_f8bc3449d5_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Indeed!

Yep.

We left ROTJ with the last jedi.

We are now 40 years later and with the last jedi still!

What a shame they didnt do the sequels in the 90's. Then Lucas would have done the prequels in the 00's and now disney would be making the next generation trilogy in the 10's.

There is no way Mr Ford would have played Han in the 90's though...

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's a bit of a shame to think that, before this new trilogy, we left these characters young, enthusiastic and optimistic for the future, after a brilliant victory against the Empire! With a new world about to be born!

And now we'll leave them with pitiful deaths, as old fossils, killed by an enemy they had already defeated but that returned somehow...

:(

But isn't that closer to how life usually plays out?   

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Manuel, I find it more ashamed that you cannot get past thinking what could have been rather than looking forward to what might be.

Who knows. TLJ might turn out to be a really good film.

I really like ROgue one.

I'm just sad that i will not see on screen the interesting period between ROTJ and TFA.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Was Star Wars ever close to real life in any way, shape or form? Is that why we love Star Wars?

I would say SW taps into universal themes of real life quite well and that is a big part (obviously not the only reason) of why it has endured. 

Yoda died of old age, suddenly. Without there being any indication.

Was that to justify the films title and make Luke's becoming a real "return" of the Jedi, or was it a commentary on the sudden fragility that comes with old age and the inevitability of death?

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I'm just sad that i will not see on screen the interesting period between ROTJ and TFA.

You probably will, just not for a couple of years.

The rise of Snoke and the First Order is a potential story gold mine for Lucasfilm. But they won't make films about it when their new trilogy is still in active production.

Isnt Star Wars more than a series of films to you die hard fans?

As for the title.

The Last Jedi sounds like a good one, it certainly indicates this will heavily involve Luke, and it won't be just as Rey's mentor. The title for the next one will probably hint towards Rey as taking over the mantle.

Rise Of The Light Side, something like that

[edit]

My good friend Neil just commented that it's like they are trying to form a sentence.

The Force awakens the last Jedi......

38 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Isnt Star Wars more than a series of films to you die hard fans?

I'm not a die hard fan of the new canon. Im only watching the films and TV shows.

So i'm just like a normal moviegoer with these new films. So that it my point. I want the films explain what happened. the way these films are executed is assuming people know things from other media.

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So i'm just like a normal moviegoer with these new films. So that it my point. I want the films explain what happened. the way these films are executed is assuming people know things from other media.

Disagree!

Save for his title crawl and some dialogue at Obi-Wan's, Star Wars didn't really explain anything about how the Empire came to be. Or how the Jedi were betrayed. Or how the Emperor gained so much power, or even how the alliance was formed.

TFA does basically the exact same thing. And TLJ will probably go into more detail because Luke will be featured heavily in the film.