Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

In my opinion, Kylo Ren looks so much more badass than how he looked in TFA. Even the simple inclusion of a full cape and the absence of his Vader-esque mask makes his character appear much more mature and cooler.

Perhaps we'll see a parallel between Ren and the youngling-slaughtering Anakin from ROTS when Kylo kills all the native Porgs when he and the Knights of Ren confront Luke and Rey on Ach-to? ;)

On 27/04/2017 at 5:12 PM, Stefancos said:

That would be awesome!

Luke Skywalker has bunnies of Doom! Like Radagast!

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

Space horses? Wait, don't we already have a...

1f39b1241b81ba750bc9ccb415a761ef.png

...space camel?

Anyways, this story sounds really promising. Nothing we've seen in a previous Star Wars movie, that's for sure. Almost like James Bond in space. it sounds like we'll finally get a spy mission/espionage type of Star Wars movie, rather than a melodramatic father-daughter drama, which R1 eventually took its final form as. I'm sure TLJ will include some of that family stuff, but it sounds like this film will really be trying to branch out from the typical style and feel of the previous films in the series, which could be really interesting and fresh.

I'm also about 99.99% sure the romance in TLJ will be between Finn and Rose.

On 5/1/2017 at 5:06 PM, crumbs said:

Rey and Kylo's TLJ costumes revealed:

Reveal hidden contents

Way too Lord of the Rings. Kylo looks like he's about to reclaim the throne of Gondor, and Rey looks like she's off for a night out with Tauriel...

7 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Way too Lord of the Rings.

What's so wrong with borrowing from that style? Star Wars is fantasy, after all.

4 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Anyways, this story sounds really promising. Nothing we've seen in a previous Star Wars movie, that's for sure. Almost like James Bond in space. it sounds like we'll finally get a spy mission/espionage type of Star Wars movie, rather than a melodramatic father-daughter drama, which R1 eventually took its final form as. I'm sure TLJ will include some of that family stuff, but it sounds like this film will really be trying to branch out from the typical style and feel of the previous films in the series, which could be really interesting and fresh.

Indeed, this film sounds awesome!

It sounds like it will have a ton of spiritual exploration of the Force, an incredible new location, and grin-worthy action sequences. What more could you ask for?

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Personal aside, that I'd appreciate any revealing conversation about leaks (i.e. anything at all that hasn't been revealed through official channels) to be hidden behind spoiler tags, if possible.

:music:

Indeed! Be cool, people. :)

Just now, BloodBoal said:

A good score?

Oh, right! (In fact, I'm looking forward to that most of all)

That's the senior writer for Vanity Fair. Assuming/hoping she wouldn't have responded at all if they weren't doing another one.

Their coverage on TFA had the first comments from Williams, I think, so hopefully there would be something on the score.

Some (probably fake) Reddit spoilers:

https://www.reddit.com/user/dbvjb

They are pretty great though, and this guy seems to have taken care to line them up with all the MSW reports.

I kind of hope the plot is something like this, because it sounds like an emotional powerhouse. I was nearly grinning reading the third act.

Whether correct or not, nice to have something to chew on until December. :P

it makes a lot of sense for R2 to go there.

Having BB8 there would be like Leia not hugging chewie after han's loss. BB8 is Poe's droid anyway and they is a warm reunion of the two in the end of the film...

The chewie fiasco (that JJ apologized when they pointed it to him) and BB8's almost happening, makes me think that JJ and kasdan didnt really look into the details writting the story...they just wanted BB8 there because it was the new droid...

So I wonder what The Last Jedi crawl will say? In the past the crawl has been used to fill the audience in on what's been going on in the galaxy in the years/months since the last film, and set up the new one. Except in the case of Last Jedi, we know it picks up immediately after TFA.  So what's new under the suns to report? What else is there to say but recap what we already know?  

STAR WARS

EPISODE VIII

THE LAST JEDI

The New Republic has fallen.

Hidden on a secret base,

The RESISTANCE, led by General Leia Organa,

plan their next move against the dreaded First Order.

Driven to finish the work of DARTH VADER,

Kylo Ren continues to destroy expensive equipment

With the same Light Sabre used to kill his father, Han Solo

Evading Ren and the First Order

Rey, Custodian of the Jedi Weapon of LUKE SKYWALKER

Has flown to the mysterious planet Ahch-To...

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

So I wonder what The Last Jedi crawl will say? In the past the crawl has been used to fill the audience in on what's been going on in the galaxy in the years/months since the last film, and set up the new one. Except in the case of Last Jedi, we know it picks up immediately after TFA.  So what's new under the sun to report? What else is there to say but recap what we already know?  

Rian Johnson actually did get asked this last month and gave sort of a blunt answer about it lol

"There's still some stuff to set up because even if it picks up right where the last one left off, there's still a lot of unanswered questions about what the state of everything is. We were able to fill three paragraphs."

I mean, TFA didn't really go into what the destruction of the New Republic would have done to the state of the galaxy, so I guess that's what they'll recap. Johnson did hint at the Celebration panel that that's going to be a big part of the story.

Good!

Because, really, that's the one thing that TFA didn't clarify much on at all.

I still wonder if The New Republic is really completely destroyed and no longer a factor at all.

Hopefully not, because that would render RotJ quite pointless and make Star killer base really "the ultimate reset button of evil" and nothing else.

It's a film by JJ Abrams. You were expecting anything else were you? His whole MO was to bring the galaxy right back to where it was at the start of Empire. 

And he did it!

They could have just thrown in a Lando cameo and everyone would have forgotten about Luke.

What's your problem with Lando Calrissian?

Lando? Who cares about Lando?

Great supporting character in TESB, but I never considered him part of the core of Star Wars.

This new trilogy needs Lando as much as it needed a scene of Leia and Chewie together crying over Han's death.

From the JWfan.net alternative universe archives, circa 1980...

17 years ago, Nick1066 said:

I think it was a mistake to end The Empire Strikes Back the way they did, having Leia find Han in carbonite, saying "someone who loves you" and the reveal with Jabba laughing right before the credits roll.  

They should have ended it with Lando and Chewie flying off to find Han while Luke & Leia looked on, to the swell of JW's music.

17 years ago, Stefanos said:

That would have been lame!

Also, not letting the audience know Han was still alive would have pissed people off.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Lando? Who cares about Lando?

Great supporting character in TESB, but I never considered him part of the core of Star Wars.

This new trilogy needs Lando as much as it needed a scene of Leia and Chewie together crying over Han's death.

Racist!

Correct. ROTJ didn't do anything with Lando, and he wasted.

This is just overshadowed by the fact that the film ruined (i.e. emasculated) Han Solo's character.  Even as a kid I cringed at lines like "Hey, it's me", and "Is that who you could tell".

I agree with Stefan.  I never particularly cared one or another about Lando as a kid or now.  He was a good part of ESB but didn't need to be in ROTJ at all.