Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Correct. ROTJ didn't do anything with Lando, and he wasted.

This is just overshadowed by the fact that the film ruined (i.e. emasculated) Han Solo's character.  Even as a kid I cringed at lines like "Hey, it's me", and "Is that who you could tell".

Han and or Lando really should have died in the OT. 

6 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Han and or Lando really should have died in the OT. 

Hey only Lucas makes changes to Star Wars you half-witted... scruffy-looking... Nerf-herder! 

9 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Good!

Because, really, that's the one thing that TFA didn't clarify much on at all.

I still wonder if The New Republic is really completely destroyed and no longer a factor at all.

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Rian Johnson actually did get asked this last month and gave sort of a blunt answer about it lol

I mean, TFA didn't really go into what the destruction of the New Republic would have done to the state of the galaxy, so I guess that's what they'll recap.

I really hope they'll bring us up to speed on what's going on with the taxation of trade routes.

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

I really hope they'll bring us up to speed on what's going on with the taxation of trade routes.

That... May be pushing it! :P

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wasn't that the point?

Bit of a stupid point though.

I understand they need to do it to tell the story they want, but completely erasing the success of the sixth film seems quite pointless to me.

The success? Was evil really destroyed forever because the second Death Star was destroyed and the Emperor defeated? 

Was the Dark Side limited only to Palpatine and his apprentice? What about all their sinister agents? What about the Stormtroopers who werent beaten by teddybears?

Yeah, I always thought the "It robs Episode VI of meaning!" argument to be complete bullshit.  Pretty obviously the situation wouldn't just be, "Okey dokey, the Emperor's dead and now everything's groovy!"

If Lucas had continued on to the sequel trilogy immediately that story could've been told in detail, but since it's been 40-odd years Kennedy & co. had to just skip ahead.  Now I'm hoping VIII and IX will fill in at least broadly what happened after ROTJ (i.e., how decline of Empire and rise of New Republic lead to First Order).

It makes sense for the story to continue forward.

But even then, RotJ should still maintain an actual victory in the series.

If you watch it is sequence now, everything good there is basically immediately undone.

Of course that doesn't go for the galaxy in the story; but it does as far as the movies themselves go.

I reckon, ideally, some story should have got inbetween where the actual (positive!) aftermath of the RotJ victory is addressed.

Thankfully there are books just like that, which I'm obviously in the process of reading. ;)

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, I always thought the "It robs Episode VI of meaning!" argument to be complete bullshit.  Pretty obviously the situation wouldn't just be, "Okey dokey, the Emperor's dead and now everything's groovy!"

For that to work, Star Wars Episode VII would have been Star Peace Episode I. And Star Peace is boring. No Star Peace in our time. 

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The success? Was evil really destroyed forever because the second Death Star was destroyed and the Emperor defeated? 

Was the Dark Side limited only to Palpatine and his apprentice? What about all their sinister agents? What about the Stormtroopers who werent beaten by teddybears?

Um. 

No. 

No. He washed just dominant. 

They looked for new bosses.  

They died in the Endor Holocaust after the Rebels stopped partying and split. 

Domhnall Gleeson is going to age into such a great British character actor (just like his father).  Just that classic look about him.

(this was reacting to one of the Vanity Fair covers)

So those three Imperials (alright, First Order) - Phasma, Kylo and Hux - all survived Starkiller's destruction, all off-screen? That's a little annoying.

When the Death Star blew, Tarkin's cool in the preceding shot was a great touch, and Vader's spinning escape smacked of old-school camp. It was a decent set-up for a sequel. Not so in The Force Awakens.

I think it's fairly obvious Kylo and Hux were going to survive given Snoke ordered Hux to retrieve Kylo Ren before the destruction of the planet, but Phasma's survival was a bit more perplexing.

They announce a big twist in the next episode.

Ok, so Rey is the daughter of Leia and Snoke.

This makes Ben his half-brother.

Snokes speaks with a british accent no?

No one knows if it's his real appearance, and if it's real, he surely don't have looked that bad all of his life.

Rey was conceived after the birth of Ben, when Han Solo was already gone.

We know that Rey is 19 yo in the movie (we know that from a Visual Dictionnary of TFA), Ben maybe have 10 years more.

So a 6 or 7 year old Rey (maybe a padawan of Luke) was hidden away on Jakku because a 17/18 year old Kylo Ren decided to kill all the padawans of Luke.

5 hours ago, Gistech said:

I think it's fairly obvious Kylo and Hux were going to survive given Snoke ordered Hux to retrieve Kylo Ren before the destruction of the planet, but Phasma's survival was a bit more perplexing.

Apparently the forthcoming Phasma comic book will tell her story starting with her last scenes in The Force Awakens.  So we'll see how she escapes the trash compactor and the planet.

There was plenty of time for her to evacuate, really - even after Poe blew the reactor, the planet was taking a good amount of time to split apart (Rey and Kylo were still fighting, and then the Falcon found them, etc).  I don't see it as too much of a problem.

Fisher completed her part in Episode VIII late last summer, when principal photography on the film wrapped. “She was having a blast,” said Kennedy. “The minute she finished, she grabbed me and said, ‘I’d better be at the forefront of IX!’ Because Harrison was front and center on VII, and Mark is front and center on VIII. She thought IX would be her movie. And it would have been.”

Heartbreaking. So IX really was the mother and son film of the trilogy, as speculated. 

Can only imagine what Williams would have written for a tender film like that. Alas, it appears Luke or Rey will fill the void instead and turn Ben back to the light side (or destroy him).

I'll be fairly devastated if Luke and Leia don't reunite in TLJ though, especially after Han and Luke never shared the screen in TFA. I really want to hear Luke and Leia one more time; Williams recently performed it, so he hasn't forgotten it!

Boy, that'd be such a waste to have Luke never get a moment with Han or Leia. 

Can you imagine if they had decided to kill him off in this to leave Leia anchoring the last film alone? Would they actually follow through with an Episode 9 centered only on the new characters instead?

6 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Can you imagine if they had decided to kill him off in this to leave Leia anchoring the last film alone? Would they actually follow through with an Episode 9 centered only on the new characters instead?

I'm 100% confident any such ending would've been re-shot. Luke will be front and centre of IX, probably moreso if the original plan was Leia being the more prominent legacy character.

I don't know about you guys, but I really hope Benicio Del Toro's character's name "DJ" is a codename of sorts, and not his actual name.

The article mentions DJ is just a codename and not his actual name (which goes unrevealed in the film).

Many are speculating it stands for

Spoiler

Dark Jedi