Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Whoever told you about gifs has a lot to answer for. 

Feel the rhythm, Bilbo.  FEEL THE RHYTHM

YUB NUB
eee chop yub nub
ah toe meet toe pee-chee keene
g'noop dock fling OH AH
YAH WAH!

New ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Trailer Arrives Next Month According to Blabbermouth Mark Hamill

In a now-deleted tweet, Hamill responded to a fan’s question about a new trailer by saying “Watch Monday Night Football on Monday, October 9th – for no reason in particular.” 

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Then again, he's known to troll fans with this stuff so I suppose he could have literally been meaning "no reason in particular."

But I'm sure another trailer will be up by the end of October.

HAHA!  Yes, it'd be pretty funny if he was like, "I literally meant no reason in particular!"

Most of the production music used is from in-house composers, which I'm sure that is. I can tell from the samples that they used EWQL Hollywood Orchestra, which is the same program that I use primarily.

I've realized over the last few months that I'm a little worried about The Last Jedi. Not the score (of course!) but the story. Basically, TFA set up incredible degrees of expectation for big reveals. How could TLJ possibly deliver something satisfying? 

Particularly if Rey is not a Skywalker, I feel that the parentage reveal will be a huge letdown -- if they just tell us her parents were some random people. Then again, Johnson and Lucasfilm have probably thought long and hard about these concerns, and hopefully they've settled on something great. 

On 22/09/2017 at 5:16 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Damn, 3 months to spare! Gimme some-o-dat John Williams goodness!

Still plenty of time to reject the score and write a brand new one!

Karol

TFA did not make a big issue out of Rey's parentage nor did it give it any sense that the answer to this is crucial in any way. So I expect a fairly straightforward reveal

Rian Johnson said that while he will deal with her lineage, the course of the narrative isn't going to hang over that question.

Spoiler

The leading theory supported by alledged leaks is that she's a reincarnation, possibly of the very first force user or some such thing.

17 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Rian Johnson said that while he will deal with her lineage, the course of the narrative isn't going to hang over that question.

Reveal hidden contents

That would be cool. Not surprising, given that fans are guessing it already, but still satisfying. 

I'm really looking forward to TLJ, but if that incredibly stupid leak turns out to be true 

Spoiler

with the tree and the two First Jedi and reincarnation and "you have till dusk to decide"

I'm probably giving up on SW episodes altogether. I might just walk out of the cinema, come straight home and burn my Last Jedi poster to "The Immolation Scene", shouting YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think many many people will be let down (myself included) if she just turns out to be yet another goddamn Skywalker.

I can see where you're coming from, but this is the "Skywalker saga" (Kathleen Kennedy's words). Kylo Ren being the only Skywalker offspring would be a little unsatisfying (unless Rey's lineage is something even more important to the Force). 

The anthology films should be the place where we don't see Skywalkers, IMO. 

Another chosen one?
hahaha
this rumor has appeared a while ago and many people have hated it.
Yet....
it will all depend on how they will tell this story.
it's a little scary
but it might be better than the idea of her being Luke's daughter.
but at the same time it is horrible. because we have a "demigod" and this is an outdated concept and was the worst thing they did with the prequel trilogy.

Let her be Luke's or Leia's daughter.
is less painful.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

TFA did not make a big issue out of Rey's parentage nor did it give it any sense that the answer to this is crucial in any way.

It did, in a way, showing the moment she was left alone on the planet, then showing she's very sensitive to the Force, then also playing with her relationship with Han, etc.... It makes you wonder who her parents were to explain why she's so Force-sensitive, and also why they left her on Jakku, why she knows how to fly a ship so well, etc. If her parentage wasn't that much important, they could have simply said: "Well, her parents died when she was young. The end."

1 hour ago, Will said:

I can see where you're coming from, but this is the "Skywalker saga" (Kathleen Kennedy's words). Kylo Ren being the only Skywalker offspring would be a little unsatisfying (unless Rey's lineage is something even more important to the Force). 

The anthology films should be the place where we don't see Skywalkers, IMO. 

Maybe this is the final trilogy in that saga and is about the end of the Skywalker line?  With Luke, Leia, and Ben dead at the end?

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Maybe this is the final trilogy in that saga and is about the end of the Skywalker line?  With Luke, Leia, and Ben dead at the end?

Ah, yes, maybe. I would be perfectly happy with that!

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

Yes, but it was never implied she didn't know who her parents were

Ah, OK.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes! And the beginning of a new saga, the one of Rey's family, the Spacerunners! Two more trilogies! Huzzah!

7 hours ago, Will said:

I've realized over the last few months that I'm a little worried about The Last Jedi. Not the score (of course!) but the story. Basically, TFA set up incredible degrees of expectation for big reveals. How could TLJ possibly deliver something satisfying? 

Particularly if Rey is not a Skywalker, I feel that the parentage reveal will be a huge letdown -- if they just tell us her parents were some random people. Then again, Johnson and Lucasfilm have probably thought long and hard about these concerns, and hopefully they've settled on something great. 

Read a few fan theories about Luke and the Force this evening and now I'm back to being enormously hyped for this film. I never stay depressed about SW for long -- as I'm sure many of you have noticed. ;)

“[Luke] made a huge mistake in thinking that his nephew was the chosen one, so he invested everything he had in Kylo, much like Obi-Wan did with my character,” Hamill says. “And he is betrayed, with tragic consequences. Luke feels responsible for that. That’s the primary obstacle he has to rejoining the world and his place in the Jedi hierarchy, you know? It’s that guilt, that feeling that it’s his fault, that he didn’t detect the darkness in him until it was too late.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/09/star-wars-last-jedi-rey-luke-skywalker-daisy-ridley-mark-hamill/

Maybe it's not impossible ...

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Luke trained with Yoda, not Obi-Wan.

"I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong."

Obi-Wan speaking to Luke