Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Separately, reliable poster ManaByte at the Jedi Council Forums confirmed the report. So, assuming nothing changes, we'll be getting it a week earlier than we expected -- sounds like Hamill truly messed up! 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I think it will. With or without synth "enhancements", that's the question.

I think the question is whether or not he will utilize the trailer to introduce the new main theme (e.g. Gondor in Ascension for Return of the King or the Company theme for An Unexpected Journey) , or will it just be your average trailer-ized "epic" statement of the Force.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I think it will. With or without synth "enhancements", that's the question. Or perhaps it will be music by a good imitator. Or perhaps it will be generic trailer music.

I'm contacting Gordy Haab and Felix Erskine on Facebook right now.

I wonder what made Disney think needing to hire people to come in and do synth shit for TFA when there was a wealth of material from the score that could've served the same purpose, or better?

I keep thinking on this self perpetuating Star Wars that only drinks from Star Wars and that insists on only being for kids because it originally was and I wonder why can't this grow with the audience a little bit. Even Harry Potter did a bit. It doesn't even mean you can't go back to movies for kids in certain films...

Maybe after this first batch of the trilogy plus solo movies we'll start seeing weirder stuff, I dunno.

I foresee an ugly future: whenever I run out of my current franchise I love, I'll go back to complaining about Star Wars

As much as one can make the argument Star Wars was made for kids, the appeal from the beginning has expanded for it be better classified as a 'family film'. Other demographics have meant that the franchise has really cornered most of the marketing sphere: now it has to directly cater to and produce 'kid-friendly' features for younger audiences, just as it produces the video games and the roleplaying games for another demographic. 

I'm not sure how Disney and Lucasfilm wrap their heads around producing a new film in the same universe that has to appeal to so many demographics, it must be a nightmare. Rogue One was going to be a darker war film, but apparently they had to rework major parts of it to be more in-line with an action adventure film; this all comes at the expense of catering to all these demographics and finding a middle-ground that's going to please as many people as possible.

Its called making a four-quadrant film, and its something that Hollywood does reasonably well most of the time with these blockbusters.

20 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Rogue One was going to be a darker war film, but apparently they had to rework major parts of it to be more in-line with an action adventure film

Of all the studios, Disney is the one most associated with a "brand" in terms of the tone of its films. And yes that makes it difficult for them to produce truly poignant pieces of cinema. Because to be poignant, a film needs to be serious, and being serious makes the film a lot more dark and dire.

Also, while serious, dire and foreboding films can be made to make a lot of money (Lord of the Rings, Dark Knight) they are nowehere near the very top of the box office. That's reserved for stuff like Avatar, the Force Awakens and Jurrassic World.

Even just in the Star Wars franchise, look at The Empire Strikes Back, the most dire and serious of the films (besides Revenge of the Sith), and also by far the least profitable one.

Yes, but Empire Strikes Back is a serious film, in terms of tone; Revenge of the Sith, for all its flaws, is a serious film. So the aesthetics of Star Wars allow for a serious story to be told.

Force Awakens is also quite serious, actually. Its just counteracted by insistent (albeit good) humor. The Last Jedi is certainly being sold as a "serious" film, as well.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its called making a four-quadrant film, and its something that Hollywood does reasonably well most of the time with these blockbusters.

Of all the studios, Disney is the one most associated with a "brand" in terms of the tone of its films. And yes that makes it difficult for them to produce truly poignant pieces of cinema. Because to be poignant, a film needs to be serious, and being serious makes the film a lot more dark and dire.

Star Wars doesn't need to be poignant, none of them (so far) are masterpieces of any kind.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Yes, but Empire Strikes Back is a serious film, in terms of tone; Revenge of the Sith, for all its flaws, is a serious film. So the aesthetics of Star Wars allow for a serious story to be told.

Force Awakens is also quite serious, actually. Its just counteracted by insistent (albeit good) humor. The Last Jedi is certainly being sold as a "serious" film, as well.

Seriousness doesn't necesarily make something "adult"

18 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The Lord Of The Rings and The Dark Knight were nowhere near the very top of the box-office? What? What about Titanic? Was that not dire and foreboding?

All these movies made more than a billion at the box-office. If that's not near the very top, I don't know what is.

Titanic is the exception to the rule.

As for Lord of the Rings and Dark Knight, they're not even in the top ten anymore.

Dark stories are not as accessible, I'm afraid. Its easier to watch something that is just "fun" throughout like, say, The Avengers.

17 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Star Wars doesn't need to be poignant, none of them (so far) are masterpieces of any kind.

There is some poignancy to several episodes, I've found. And I do think Empire Strikes Back is deserving of a masterpiece status. Some films earlier in the history of the medium achieved this status for much less.

And this is all coming from someone who is a casual fan of Star Wars, at best.

15 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

As for Lord of the Rings and Dark Knight, they're not even in the top ten anymore.

Dark stories are not as accessible, I'm afraid. Its easier to watch something that is just "fun" throughout like, say, The Avengers.

There is some poignancy to several episodes, I've found. And I do think Empire Strikes Back is deserving of a masterpiece status. Some films earlier in the history of the medium achieved this status for much less.

And this is all coming from someone who is a casual fan of Star Wars, at best.

The Avengers isn't easy to watch! 

You're right about there being a certain amount of poignancy in a few of the films - Revenge of the Sith for sure. 

The top of the box-office is whatever major franchise is spearheading the summer movie lineup. Action, comedy, dark, it's all meaningless when Despicable Me 23 or Spider-Man reboot 6522 is out. 

There's no doubt Star Wars began as a space movie for kids. The original film is pretty corny if you stop viewing it through macrobinoculars. However, the series has also been all over the place tonally, with everyone saying Empire is dark and serious, cheesiness from ROTJ onward and then dark and violent in Revenge of the Sixth.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The current top 10 has little relevance to the roles past movies played. Like someone mentioned here before, breaking the billion dollar grossing mark doesn't mean as much as it used to, but Return of the King was one of 3 films of all time to hit that mark upon its release, and that was a huge deal. To deny the significance of franchises like LOTR and the Batman films in box office grossing shows a lack of understanding of the box office itself.

The top 10 now is essentially reserved for the biggest franchises and animated films. It has less to do with the "seriousness" of the film.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

There's no doubt Star Wars began as a space movie for kids. The original film is pretty corny if you stop viewing it through macrobinoculars. However, the series has also been all over the place tonally, with everyone saying Empire is dark and serious, cheesiness from ROTJ onward and then dark and violent in Revenge of the Sixth.

ROTS is cheesier than ROTJ. More often than not, the former is more inadvertently humorous than "dark", thanks to the terrible dialogue and mediocre acting.

59 minutes ago, KK said:

The current top 10 has little relevance to the roles past movies played. Like someone mentioned here before, breaking the billion dollar grossing mark doesn't mean as much as it used to, but Return of the King was one of 3 films of all time to hit that mark upon its release, and that was a huge deal.

Someone... Someone...

While we're all someone's "someone",  I would still have appreciated more from you.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Someone... Someone...

While we're all someone's "someone",  I would still have appreciated more from you.

You are only another face of mine dear brother! Need I mention your name?

Wow!!! I hope this is true - it can only mean more Williams music! 

Rumor - Star Wars: The Last Jedi will be 2 and a half hours long, making it the series' longest film

*Will, who is waiting for KM to come in here and complain about the greater possibility of unreleased music*

32 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Personally, I prefer longer films, so I would be just fine with this. I usually edit the deleted scenes back into the films just to make them a little longer.

The Ultimate Editions of the first two Harry Potter films did just that, an extended cut of the films but reincorporating the deleted scenest. To be honest, the way they did it was a bit slap-dash, they just dragged and dropped the deleted scenes in between the scenes they were cut from and each scene felt like it should've been cut into a tighter sequence and not just a jarring scene after another!

That Gleeson excerpt a few posts ago won't mean much to me until I see the film. What actor in these press junkets is going to be negative or anything but positive?