Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

James Horner called it "a theme for bravery".

Neither Han nor Luke are really Rebels until the Yavin sequence/battle so it makes no sense to call it Rebel fanfare either and the theme doesn't even make an appearance in the film after the TIE Fighter dogfight (save for the very faint brief statement at the end of the battle)! The Force theme is more of a Rebel theme in the first film.

Karol

On 24/09/2017 at 7:49 PM, Will said:

Particularly if Rey is not a Skywalker, I feel that the parentage reveal will be a huge letdown -- if they just tell us her parents were some random people. Then again, Johnson and Lucasfilm have probably thought long and hard about these concerns, and hopefully they've settled on something great. 

Have to admit I would actually be disappointed if she IS directly related to any known characters.

The galaxy has been feeling small enough in previous films. Can't she be someone new?

On 24/09/2017 at 10:10 PM, BloodBoal said:

why she knows how to fly a ship so well, etc.

Explained in a book.

She found and fixed a flying simulator and spent a lot of time playing around with that to pass the time.

On 24/09/2017 at 10:10 PM, BloodBoal said:

If her parentage wasn't that much important, they could have simply said: "Well, her parents died when she was young. The end."

JJ Abrams likes making stuff seem mysterious?

Keeping them guessing is a great way to create free promotion.

16 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Explained in a book.

She found and fixed a flying simulator and spent a lot of time playing around with that to pass the time.

You see, that is a method of storytelling I really don't like. To leave all these gaping plot holes ("oh, so I guessed Phasma did escape the trash compactor and Starkiller Base somehow") and than fill them in with novels is:

betraying the narrative of the series: You should be able to watch just the movies and for it to make sense.

paves the road to inconsistencies as these books are afterthoughts, at best.

is a complete cash-grab.

23 hours ago, Chen G. said:

You see, that is a method of storytelling I really don't like. To leave all these gaping plot holes ("oh, so I guessed Phasma did escape the trash compactor and Starkiller Base somehow") and than fill them in with novels

In this case, I don't think most regular movie viewers would really wonder too much why Rey can pilot a starship so well.

For the understanding of the film, it doesn't really matter too much. She can and the how and why doesn't change that.

For those people who do wonder, there is a valid (and relatively mundane) explanation to be found elsewhere.

Either way, it doesn't impact on much of anything.

That being said, sometimes there are examples where I'd definitely agree with you.

Best ones are the prequel plot holes that were expertly explained away later by James Luceno in his books.

Some of that should really have been included in the films for them to make far more sense.

So I don't mind explanations for stuff to be hidden away in books.

But sometimes indeed they hide TOO much away in books.

Can't be an easy balance to find though...

We're supposed to assume that a T-16 isn't that different from an X-Wing, even though we're not explicitly told that the toy he's playing with is a T-16 or that it's even something bigger than the toy.

Didn't a deleted scene from ANH establish that Luke and his friend were pilots on Tatooine, or was it a line from somewhere else?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

If it is not in the film, it does not exist!

Expanded universe and deleted scenes don't count!

They do count but they don’t excuse plot holes or inconsistencies.

nobody should be bothered by Rey or Luke’s ability to pilot anything.

No stress here, it's just fictional shenanigans anyway. 

Rey didn't exactly look like an experienced pilot either, it looked like a bloody workout pulling those levers...

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Has a Wookiee ever been Force-sensitive before? Are there documented references of Jedi Wookiees?

In The Clone Wars CGI series, yes!

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Has a Wookiee ever been Force-sensitive before? Are there documented references of Jedi Wookiees?

Yes. There was a Wookiee yougling in the Clone Wars.

He was totes adorbs

and presumably murdered by Anakin during the events of RotS.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

How can she pilot a ship with such ease? The Force.

There you go.

Except the actual canon reason was far more mundane; that was my point. ;)

8 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yeah that simulator shit is just plain wrong! I hope they never bring that up...

Have to agree it is quite a boring explanation.

But it makes sense; the book it was mentioned in was released prior to the film.

And they were trying to pretend it was Finn who would be lightsabering his way around in the promotion.

So they could hardly give away "the big twist" in advance, could they?

I sincerely doubt it will ever be mentioned again. It's hardly important, is it?

4 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

nobody should be bothered by Rey or Luke’s ability to pilot anything.

On the one hand, what matters is that Rey herself as a character is filled with doubts and incredulity at her own abilities, which she certainly is. On the other hand, if you make a character too gifted at too many things it can lead not only to problems of relating with the character (first time watching, I didn't react too much to Rey) and it can remove a lot of tension because nothing too bad can happen to a character like that. So it is an issue that I have with the film, but not so much that it really hampers my enjoyment of it.

She also has a couple, just a couple, of "in-your-face-strong-independent-woman-character" moments like her insistence of not letting Finn grabbing her hand when he is clearly trying to help. The fact that she also comments on it out loud rather than just shake his hand off - tells us that JJ was trying to emphasize her independence. It doesn't happen terribly often, so its not a big issue, but its still there.