Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

To all those looking to buy tickets for opening night:

Remember that we probably won't know exactly when they'll go on sale, so it would be wise to keep refreshing Fandango throughout the day on Monday. Showtimes are already up there. 

25 minutes ago, Will said:

To all those looking to buy tickets for opening night:

Remember that we probably won't know exactly when they'll go on sale, so it would be wise to keep refreshing Fandango throughout the day on Monday. Showtimes are already up there. 

I'll probably wait for it to come out on video.

From a very trustworthy poster (ManaByte) on the Jedi Council Forums:

Theater manager I’ve known for 15 years just told me they will start selling tickets in person at 5:30pm PST tomorrow.

So it's possible that online sales will start before halftime of MNF, which is when the trailer drops. We'll see! Just wanted to let you guys know. 

5 minutes ago, Will said:

He also said it was "gooooood," so.... ;)

Wow, I can't believe it, we are now less than 24 hours away from...

BRAND NEW PLINKY PIANO NOTES!!! :P

Emotional scene commences, as the music rises. "You what you are!" 

I am skeptical considering the director. His one big movie was pretty awful.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:03 PM, Will said:

Wow!!! I hope this is true - it can only mean more Williams music! 

Rumor - Star Wars: The Last Jedi will be 2 and a half hours long, making it the series' longest film

*Will, who is waiting for KM to come in here and complain about the greater possibility of unreleased music*

Regal has also now updated with a runtime of 2 hours, 35 minutes

Errr....

I have no problem with long running times, but when a sequel is significantly longer than its predecessor - that's not a good sign.

Its also breaking character in terms of the aesthetics of the franchise.

30 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its also breaking character in terms of the aesthetics of the franchise.

If RJ's vision is bold and appropriate, then I hope it does. TESB was significantly different from Star Wars in important ways that are now respected. TLJ could be the best Star Wars film if the middle-of-the-road 'suits' let the saga's first writer-director since Lucas do the driving.

It's going to take a lot of will-power for me not to watch the trailer as per RJ's advice, but if this film is as shocking as it might be, it could be worth it. "You'll find I'm full of surprises!"

Possibly.

Mostly I think it's a result of the nonlinear storytelling: this film is going to feature a Rey/Luke thread, a Finn/Rose one, a Kylo/Snoke one and possibly a Leia/Poe one. 

I think you illustrate a point of view that a lot of people, including critics, uphold, which is that - since The Force Awakens was a good film - inevitably The Last Jedi will be, too. But as George Lucas showed us - Star Wars has, by its very nature, a potential to be incredibly stupid. Assuming it will be awesome is not a good starting point for forming an honest opinion.

Empire Strikes Back was made in a time when the perception of continuity in film was different. Today, you form an aesthetic for a franchise and if you change it, you do it incrementally across multiple pictures.

In theory, a longer runtime does make sense for this because I think as far as we know, there are at least four different plot threads/character groups that will have to be juggled simultaneously and given proper attention (as you say, Rey/Luke, the First Order, the Resistance, and Finn/Rose.) A longer run time will presumably/hopefully give enough weight and balance to deal with each aspect of the story satisfactorily before they inevitably converge, and who knows how exactly they intertwine in the meantime. We've seen that Finn/Rose go undercover into the First Order at some point, but doesn't seem like Rey/Luke would have much interaction with anybody else until probably after the halfway point at least.

Also Attack of the Clones was only 13 minutes shorter so 155 minutes isn't that unprecedented. There's just more pressure on it to consistently entertain or the breathless qualities of the ideal Star Wars episode may diminish.

Abrams already brought the cinematography forward, along with some of the production design. RJ can take it further - I have a feeling he is adept at portraying wealthy and style (The Brothers Bloom) along with future-junkyards and natural landscapes (Looper). I shouldn't harbour high expectations, I know, but I do!

22 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

In theory, a longer runtime does make sense for this because I think as far as we know, there are at least four different plot threads/character groups that will have to be juggled simultaneously and given proper attention (as you say, Rey/Luke, the First Order, the Resistance, and Finn/Rose.) A longer run time will presumably/hopefully give enough weight and balance to deal with each aspect of the story satisfactorily before they inevitably converge, and who knows how exactly they intertwine in the meantime.[...]Attack of the Clones was only 13 minutes shorter so 155 minutes isn't that unprecedented. 

Generally, too many storylines and the film feels fragmented, which I am worried will happen here. But we'll see. 

As for Attack of the Clones, I'd say two wrongs don't make a right. God, do I hate that film something fierce.

Yes, but in his attempt to lend cohesion to the narrative, he tends to take one theme and use it WAAY too often. I watched Empire Strikes Back the other day (it's the holidays here now) and it's just flooded with the Imperial March. It's got to be up of twenty five statements of it. Same for Attack of the Clones with the love theme.

Just now, Chen G. said:

Yes, but in his attempt to lend cohesion to the narrative, he tends to take one theme and use it WAAY too often. I watched Empire Strikes Back the other day (it's the holidays here now) and it's just flooded with the Imperial March. It's got to be up of twenty five statements of it.

A lot of those are tracked from the concert version, though.

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I saw a trailer teaser preview that featured Kuli Ren igniting his lightsaber accompanied by a new rendition of the crossguard-lightsaber stinger from TFA so new Williams music confirmed?

Wait, seriously? What stinger?

---------------

Poster's dropping in an hour! 

7 minutes ago, Will said:

Beat me to the punch!

Yeah, it's great. Cool to see JW's name!!

The poster seems to imply that Luke's role is basically Darth Vader-like now or something. The use of red seems really ominous too.

Sweet poster. Very streamlined and striking design. Glad to see that Luke is finally front-and-center again in the series. I also noticed that General Hux is present in the poster, yet he was absent in the poster for TFA. Perhaps his character has a larger role in this film.

Also, I see the new "evil BB droid" is included in the poster. Does that mean it has a significant role in TLJ? Will there be an epic showdown between it and BB-8? Gah, it's too much to take in! I need oxygen!

Well, it was stressful as hell, but I got my ticket. After Fandango crashed ArcLight's site came through for me. The seat is pretty close to the screen, but it's still a seat. 

8 minutes ago, Blanche Hudson said:

If nothing else, it's a nice respite from the teal and orange hegomony.

Yeah, I'm enjoying all this red in the promotional material, and seems like it's motivated by the film's color scheme with Crait and some of the new First Order designs like the guards and Snoke's throne room. Seems pretty deliberate, red tends to stick out to me as pretty aggressive in film. Would be cool to see this movie setting itself apart visually through strong color choices.