Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

New poster is solid.  When's the soonest we can expect a soundtrack cover mock-up? :P

11 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah, I'm enjoying all this red in the promotional material, and seems like it's motivated by the film's color scheme with Crait and some of the new First Order designs like the guards and Snoke's throne room. Seems pretty deliberate, red tends to stick out to me as pretty aggressive in film. Would be cool to see this movie setting itself apart visually through strong color choices.

Ahem.  You forgot about Attack of the Clones, which starts off teal and ends orange.

Just realized the one thing they didn't show here was the thing I was most looking forward to -- Canto Bight!

Well, it will be a nice surprise in the film!

This wait is going to be really tough. I'm just starting to reckon with the fact that that's basically the last footage we'll get until December 15, with the exception of a few new shots in TV spots. 

Judging by this new trailer, the film looks incredible. Spectacular visuals and cinematography. Lots of questions raised.

My theory: I'm about 99% positive that Kylo will kill Leia in this film. The scene with him flying his personal fighter, taking aim at the bridge of a (seemingly) Resistance cruiser, with that scene switching back and forth with a scene of a concerned Leia (seemingly) aboard that same ship.

9 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

Judging by this new trailer, the film looks incredible. Spectacular visuals and cinematography. Lots of questions raised.

My theory: I'm about 99% positive that Kylo will kill Leia in this film. The scene with him flying his personal fighter, taking aim at the bridge of a (seemingly) Resistance cruiser, with that scene switching back and forth with a scene of a concerned Leia (seemingly) aboard that same ship.

Could be misdirection, though. Supposedly Leia was going to have a big role in IX, and they didn't change anything in VIII after Fisher's death. 

But you're right, that's the shocking truth implied there. 

7 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

I thought so too at first, but that just seems way too obvious.  Obviously we're all wondering how they will deal with the death of Carrie Fisher, but I can't imagine them being so blatant as to give it away like that in a trailer.  

I think it's gonna happen relatively early in the film (notice how he has that black bandage over his wound from TFA in some scenes like that one, but not in other scenes where presumably it's healed over). He'll let her live and it'll become part of his ongoing conflict and intrigue. He killed his father, but can't bring himself to kill his mother. 

20 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think it's gonna happen relatively early in the film (notice how he has that black bandage over his wound from TFA in some scenes like that one, but not in other scenes where presumably it's healed over). He'll let her live and it'll become part of his ongoing conflict and intrigue. He killed his father, but can't bring himself to kill his mother. 

Ah good point, that would make sense. 

I thought it was horrible! Chiched, spoiler-y, I thought the visuals looked like an overly colour-corrected, digitaly lit, CGI mess (that I hated in Hobbit and the new Pirates) - it actually made me start doubting the movie again. Perhaps I should watch it a few more times to warm up to it, but then again, I didn't like it, so I don't want to. I'd rather watch the first one 50 more times, that one's a classic.

OK, second viewing in proper lighting conditions and actually being awake, it's not that bad. The visuals are pretty good, I can actually make out the lines, but it's still pretty generic, spoils major (i guess) plot points and doesn't really hype me up the way the first one did.

I wonder what the thing was that scared Luke so badly, whether it was something we saw in the OT, like eating the Emperor's chain lightning, or an event that happened in the downtime between Jedi and TFA. 

19 minutes ago, Woj said:

I wonder what the thing was that scared Luke so badly, whether it was something we saw in the OT, like eating the Emperor's chain lightning, or an event that happened in the downtime between Jedi and TFA. 

I thought he said it was how poewrful rey was, comparing her to Kylo.

2 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

And why would he be scared at anything? What happened to "fear is the path to the dark side"?

That's what Yoda said to Anakin. Yoda said the opposite to Luke, asking him if he was afraid and then very matter of factly saying, "You will be."

1 hour ago, Muldoon said:

That's what Yoda said to Anakin. Yoda said the opposite to Luke, asking him if he was afraid and then very matter of factly saying, "You will be."

He also said it to Luke: "Anger, fear, aggression - the dark side of the force are they." It was stupid in 1980 just as much as it was in 1999, except in 1999 Lucas drove it home by insisting on it.

As for the trailer: looks very nice. I'd hazard about deducting anything about the film's actual look: film tends to be re-graded for the trailer.

I hated the porgs when I heard the idea, I hated them when I saw the first pictures, and I hate them now that I've heard one. Doesn't gel with the rest of the trailer, and I doubt it will in the actual film.

As for Kylo killing Leia - the scene in question seems to be part of the space battle shown in the first trailer which, it appears, takes place early in the film. I doubt they'll do it then.

This trailer makes me REALLY happy : Numerous magnificent shots that I'm sure John williams will have written great music for ! As for the scenario, as long as it it more intelligent than the average blockbuster (it seems to be the case) I'm OK with it. It's full of spoiler yes but careful of the editing here ;) As for the Porgs, these are just Disney marketing products waiting to be sold in stores, I don't care as long as we don't have them in every shot.

I don't really care much for speculation on the Porgs involvement in the film, they're clearly designed for children and probably won't be integral to Rey's journey to becoming a Jedi.