Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

When was that "Follow Me" clip from TFA first released? 

November 22nd, 2015.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25791-first-clip-from-the-force-awakens-containing-williams-score-premieres-during-american-music-awards

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Oh right so exactly two years ago. Maybe we will get a clip soon.

Just occurred to me to check the talk show listings and there's actually going to be a bunch of Last Jedi appearances starting next week.

Tuesday will have Daisy Ridley appearing on Kelly Ripa/Ryan Seacrest and Jimmy Fallon (he got the first Rogue One clip with Felicity Jones as guest), while Mark Hamill will be on Ellen DeGeneres. Then John Boyega will be on Kelly/Ryan and Fallon on Wednesday, and the entire cast and Rian Johnson will be on Jimmy Kimmel that Friday.

I'll be shocked if there isn't at least one clip for all that, either the same one on all the shows or maybe 2 or 3 different ones.

Yeah that was posted a while back but it was cool. 

In other news, there's another short spot:

Still no new JW music. 

There's a new recording of the Main Titles being used in the newly released Battlefront II, but I assume they just recorded that in the same sessions as all Gordy Haab's game music?

Oh weird, they played a version of the Main Title in one of the game reviews I watched (IGN or Gamespot?) I'd never heard before. Had a real emphasis leading into that very first statement of Luke's Theme. Just assumed it was from the game... I'll see if I can find it.

Could there be an age difference of about 15 years? Rey could he his daughter, secretly secured because he was falling to the dark side, he may even didn't know it. In the books jacen solo has a daughter

I think there’s going to be massive disappointment when it turns out Rey’s parents are nobodies.

Mysteries set up by JJ Abrams have a history of big set up only to produce a stupid straight forward conclusion unworthy buildup. 

Cue DiscoStu telling he thinks that’d be great. 

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Could there be an age difference of about 15 years? Rey could he his daughter, secretly secured because he was falling to the dark side, he may even didn't know it. In the books jacen solo has a daughter

This is impossible. There's at least 10 years between them.
Since you mentioned the books...
Spoiler
"Bloodline", which I have not read, but I have seen some people arguing about it, says that Kylo Ren join the Dark Side and destroy the "academy" of Luke happens six years before of the events of TFA.
Six years  before TFA Han and Leia were still together, she was still a senator and the new rebellion didn't exist.

I don't have a problem with Rey's parent being nobodies. That in and on itself would be fine. 

It's the classic JJ bullshit misdirection in TFA that would ruin it. From TFA there's a suggestion that both Kylo and Han know who she is. If it turns out she's nobody then all the set up looks silly in retrospect. 

Indeed.

That's the problem when a trilogy is a string of connected but largely standalone films, as this Star Wars trilogy (and indeed most trilogies, including previous Star Wars entries) is. Watching them in a row after-the-fact its never going to feel like a truly organic transition between films.

2 hours ago, James said:

Since you mentioned the books...

Bloodline ends at the same moment that Leia starts up the Resistance.

She does not know anything about Ben Solo falling to the dark side yet by that time.

I've been reading many of those books and I don't remember the whole Luke/Kylo debacle being mentioned in them at all.

With the exception of the TFA novelisation, of course.

The book makes it clear that Rey was not responsible for Luke's exile and that Kylo is a crybaby, but he still leaves the door open to that other possibilities are developed.

At the end of everything, Luke will look to Rey as if he never seen her in life and the rumor that she's his daughter is never going to will be confimed. 

Or they will create another narrative away from everything that was established in TFA (as the interest of the First Order for her) to justify his paternity, something like "What If Luke lost the sight of a daughter in the past ?". But I doubt it. She really is "nobody".

Kathleen Kennedy wouldn't let that stand.

The whole aesthetic of the recent forays into the Star Wars universe are built off of evoking the first three Star Wars films (the "original" trilogy). Just about the only thing The Force Awakens took from the prequels were Kylo Ren's appearance, and that's from Revenge of the Sith which they can get a pass from fans for recycling.

In TFA, they never at any point make an issue about not knowing who Rey's parents are and Rey herself never implies she doesn't know who they are. Besides, when she was left of Jakku she was old enough to remember them. So I don't even think there's a mistery there

K

14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Kathleen Kennedy wouldn't let that stand.

The whole aesthetic of the recent forays into the Star Wars universe are built off of evoking the first three Star Wars films (the "original" trilogy). Just about the only thing The Force Awakens took from the prequels were Kylo Ren's appearance, and that's from Revenge of the Sith which they can get a pass from fans for recycling.

Kylo Ren is in Revenge of the Sith?

Isn't Jimmy Smits in Rogue One?

I mean his appearance. He looks like Anakin does in Revenge of the Sith.

8 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Kathleen Kennedy doesn't like the prequels?

She knows its marketing poison, in terms of production value.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I mean his appearance. He looks like Anakin does in Revenge of the Sith.

She knows its poison to how the marketing and production value will be recieved.

Don't get that Anakin looks like Kylo. But OK.

I have no reason to believe Kathleen Kennedy hates the prequels. Those movies have a lot of fans (even if I'm not one of them), and her job is to sell tickets. I think it was JJ Abrams, to his credit, that really wanted the new movies to evoke the OT (though Kennedy no doubt saw the wisdom in that).

2 hours ago, James said:

The book makes it clear that Rey was not responsible for Luke's exile and that Kylo is a crybaby, but he still leaves the door open to that other possibilities are developed.

What book are you referring to?

Certainly not Bloodline. Rey has not the faintest relation to the story in that book.

No mention of her or Jakku whatsoever. It is mainly about Leia and a bit about Han.

Luke and Ben Solo are mentioned in passing, but nothing much is made of that.

35 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Isn't Jimmy Smits in Rogue One?

Yes.

34 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

she seems to know the Falcon even better than he does...

There is a canon explanation for that in "Before the Awakening".

She spent a lot of her spare time playing around with a flight simulator that she repaired.

Plus she repaired a real ship and flew that around for a bit too.

It is not at all related to any mystery.

1 minute ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

There is a canon explanation for that in "Before the Awakening".

She spent a lot of her spare time playing around with a flight simulator that she repaired.

Plus she repaired a real ship and flew that around for a bit too.

It is not at all related to any mystery.

The average moviegoers don't care about information not in the film, Pieter! If it's not explained in the film, then it's not explained at all.

Especially in a film franchise. Its not like this is an adaptation of a book where some plot points were cut out of the film, but can be found on the book.

Here, the books are afterthoughts to the films.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

What book are you referring to?

Certainly not Bloodline. Rey has not the faintest relation to the story in that book.

No mention of her or Jakku whatsoever. It is mainly about Leia and a bit about Han.

Luke and Ben Solo are mentioned in passing, but nothing much is made of that.

Well, that's a shallow interpretation that's done from the story told by the book.

If six years ago, in the timeline of TFA, Ben is still beside Luke and Rey was left in Jakku still a child, there is no way she would have participated in the event that led Luke to exile. She doesn't even have a relationship with it.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

The average moviegoers don't care about information not in the film, Pieter! If it's not explained in the film, then it's not explained at all.

All I'm saying is that there is no actual canonical mystery there.

48 minutes ago, James said:
Well, that's a shallow interpretation that's done from the story told by the book.

If six years ago, in the timeline of TFA, Ben is still beside Luke and Rey was left in Jakku still a child, there is no way she would have participated in the event that led Luke to exile. She doesn't even have a relationship with it.

Rey, Luke and Ben Solo do not feature as active characters in the book Bloodline. Luke and Ben Solo are mentioned, but Rey is not.

So whatever Rey's relation with the other two, the book Bloodline says exactly nothing about it either way.

That being said, it does seem very likely to me that when Ben Solo and Luke were having their little disagreement, Rey was on Jakku and had been for a long time already.