Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Kathleen Kennedy wouldn't let that stand.

The whole aesthetic of the recent forays into the Star Wars universe are built off of evoking the first three Star Wars films (the "original" trilogy). Just about the only thing The Force Awakens took from the prequels were Kylo Ren's appearance, and that's from Revenge of the Sith which they can get a pass from fans for recycling.

TFA and Rogue One are littered with Prequel references and there'll be a few in TLJ as well. 

The closest that I recall to a prequel reference in The Force Awakens is the tongue-in-cheek "maybe supreme leader Snoke should consider using a clone army." But some may have slipped under my radar because I'm only a casual fan of Star Wars, at best.

Rogue One is different because its essentially episode 3.9 so of course those references will be in there. The main episodes have a different aesthetic.

Surely you get my point: Rogue One is set between the prequels and the original Star Wars, and as such cannot forgo the prequels in the way that episodes 7-9 can, do and would.

Simple.

It has nothing to do with the producers or indeed the director liking or disliking the prequels. Its a marketing issue.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Surely you get my point: Rogue One is set between the prequels and the original Star Wars, and as such cannot forgo the prequels in the way that episodes 7-9 can, do and would.

Simple.

It has nothing to do with the producers or indeed the director liking or disliking the prequels. Its a marketing issue.

Nah. There was no "marketing" of the minuscule references to the prequels from either of those movies. Both were marketed heavily on OT nostalgia. I don't think anyone at Disney, including Kennedy, thought about it the way you are.  And you could actually make an argument that in terms of character, story and themes, the new trilogy is much closer to the prequels than Rogue One. Rogue One in fact has almost nothing to do with the PT. If they wanted to go that route they would have featured the Genosians in some way. 

As an aside, I do think some of the future films will make much more direct reference to the prequels. But for now they're just sticking with OT nostalgia. And trust me, no one does nostalgia like Disney. When they're ready for people to be nostalgic for the PT, that will happen.

First, I don't remember any reference to the prequels in Rogue One other than Vader being on Mustafar.

Second, I do think the movie makes it look like there is a mystery regarding Rey's parents, but I think it's going to end up that they are nobody important. 

I’m sure JJ probably set it up as somewhat of a mystery for the next director in case they want to go in a certain direction. I don’t think Lucasfilm has a true direction for this trilogy. They’re letting each director do his own thing based on what the previous film / director has done.

10 minutes ago, Demodex said:

First, I don't remember any reference to the prequels in Rogue One other than Vader being on Mustafar.

Bail Organa is in Rogue One. And there's a very quick glimpse of what appears to be Corsucant in Rey's vision. I also think there's some background tech/ships from the PT.

But all that's incidental. The main thing is that there are mercifully no meaningful story or character references.

Who cares about Rey's parentage? The reveal the entire SW community is waiting for with clenched buttocks is that Finn is actually the son of the OT's greatest hero: Willrow Hood AKA The Ice Cream Guy.

latest?cb=20080518233740

15 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

But all that's incidental. The main thing is that there are mercifully no meaningful story or character references.

Oh, if that's what you're looking out for in terms of "tying back to the prequels" than yes, that isn't really a thing because the prequel narrative is so far removed (its what, sixty years apart?) from that of this new trilogy.

I was talking more about little callbacks. 

16 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I’m sure JJ probably set it up as somewhat of a mystery for the next director in case they want to go in a certain direction. I don’t think Lucasfilm has a true direction for this trilogy. They’re letting each director do his own thing based on what the previous film / director has done.

No need to think: Its been told explicitly by both Rian Johnson and - I think - by Kathleen Kennedy, that there is no master plan there. Which makes populist critics defending The Force Awakens on the grounds of "wait to see what happens in the sequels" pointless.

That's true of most hollywood film series. Story outlines, outside of the very broadest of strokes, don't really exist. 

The only real way to create a thought-out film series is to write and shot it all simultaneously, a-la Lord of the Rings, which clearly isn't the case here.

19 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Second, I do think the movie makes it look like there is a mystery regarding Rey's parents, but I think it's going to end up that they are nobody important. 

At this point, that would be the single most surprising option!

I really hope that will end up being the case.

11 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Bail Organa is in Rogue One. And there's a very quick glimpse of what appears to be Corsucant in Rey's vision. I also think there's some background tech/ships from the PT.

On the prison planet, the tank Jyn is rescued out of was straight from Revenge of the Sith's "Battle of Kashyyyk".

11 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Rey, Luke and Ben Solo do not feature as active characters in the book Bloodline. Luke and Ben Solo are mentioned, but Rey is not.

So whatever Rey's relation with the other two, the book Bloodline says exactly nothing about it either way.

That being said, it does seem very likely to me that when Ben Solo and Luke were having their little disagreement, Rey was on Jakku and had been for a long time already.

I know. My revolt against Ren is because "how a man in the midst of his twenties gets deceived by the promises of old decrepit man to the point of killing his family for loyalty to him?" But we've seen this story in other episodes...

5 hours ago, James said:

I know. My revolt against Ren is because "how a man in the midst of his twenties gets deceived by the promises of old decrepit man to the point of killing his family for loyalty to him?" But we've seen this story in other episodes...

That is indeed quite a big question and one that I believe has not yet been answered in canon at all.

I assume we'll find out more when TLJ is released next month.

While it is a longer film, I don't suppose Rian Johnson is going to devote too much of his all too precious screentime to fixing his former's plotholes and question marks, where he can instead focus on moving the story along.

5 hours ago, James said:

I know. My revolt against Ren is because "how a man in the midst of his twenties gets deceived by the promises of old decrepit man to the point of killing his family for loyalty to him?" 

Ummm...The Dark Side?

I really don't see any plothole here.

On 11/22/2017 at 8:55 PM, mrbellamy said:

Just occurred to me to check the talk show listings and there's actually going to be a bunch of Last Jedi appearances starting next week.

Tuesday will have Daisy Ridley appearing on Kelly Ripa/Ryan Seacrest and Jimmy Fallon (he got the first Rogue One clip with Felicity Jones as guest), while Mark Hamill will be on Ellen DeGeneres. Then John Boyega will be on Kelly/Ryan and Fallon on Wednesday, and the entire cast and Rian Johnson will be on Jimmy Kimmel that Friday.

I'll be shocked if there isn't at least one clip for all that, either the same one on all the shows or maybe 2 or 3 different ones.

Just saw a headline about the cast stopping by Kimmel this Friday and you know what I did?  I searched to see if someone had already posted about it before!  I'm so proud of myself.

Anyway, yeah our first serious chances of hearing music are this week on talk shows.  They could always just cut together footage with trailer music though.

I'll be seeing the movie on the 13th, how long is the usual treshold for using spoilers in discussing the movie? Until the end of the opening weekend?

1 hour ago, toothless said:

I'm watching Rian Johnson's live Q&A on twitter hoping to get any informations about the score.

Just checked it out myself.  Nothing but fluff.  "so-and-so was incredible to work with" etc.

18 minutes ago, Holko said:

I'll be seeing the movie on the 13th, how long is the usual treshold for using spoilers in discussing the movie? Until the end of the opening weekend?

I think we should have a spoiler thread and a non-spoiler thread. I may not be able to see it until it's been out for a week or so. 

22 minutes ago, Holko said:

There will be a thread created on opening day or the day before that allows spoilers with no spoiler blocks needed, we do that for all big films that open.

I will probably see it on the 13th, in the morning.

Right after that i will be haemorrhaging spoilers! On JWfan, social media, in person. I will be calling people to tell them all about the new Star Wars! 

I should rejoin FSM!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Right after that i will be haemorrhaging spoilers! On JWfan, social media, in person. I will be calling people to tell them all about the new Star Wars! 

Are you being sarcastic?  Or are you an asshole?

25 minutes ago, Demodex said:

LOL. I highly doubted it.  People don't want to hear about the score. 

I dunno, Star Wars scores have pretty universal appeal, especially among the kinds of people who ask questions at Star Wars Q&As.  

If you just paste in the URL and wait a second, it should automatically turn into an embed.  Sometimes if you've copied from a link to a video, instead of directly copying the URL at the top of your browser, it pastes it as a link instead, you but you can SHIFT-CTRL-V to paste and that gets around that

I see the film's premiere is this coming Saturday (the 9th) in Los Angeles.  Back in 2015 I retreated 100% from surfing the web between TFA premiere and seeing it.  Not sure I'll need to be that militant, but I'll definitely have to keep my guard up.  I don't even want to know "social media sentiment" or whatever the studios call it in NDA contracts these days.