Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I see the film's premiere is this coming Saturday (the 9th) in Los Angeles.  Back in 2015 I retreated 100% from surfing the web between TFA premiere and seeing it.  Not sure I'll need to be that militant, but I'll definitely have to keep my guard up.  I don't even want to know "social media sentiment" or whatever the studios call it in NDA contracts these days.

You're not on social media so that'll help but you're best off avoiding Star Wars threads on here too!

23 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

You're not on social media so that'll help but you're best off avoiding Star Wars threads on here too!

Sure and I'm certainly not going to go searching for what the social sentiment is like I did after The Post first screened.  But still, those things sometimes manage to seep out.  The key for me at this point is to completely avoid my usual film blogs/news sites.  The sites where it's almost muscle memory to click the bookmark :P 

Just don’t make the mistake that I did and accidentally click the JWFAN spoiler thread instead of the non-spoiler thread!  Found out in 2 seconds that Kylo Ren was Han/Leia’s and that he killed Han, two days before I saw the movie!

Interview with Boyega from a press junket yesterday.

http://screencrush.com/john-boyega-interview-star-wars-the-last-jedi/

This is the most I've ever seen any one say about what exactly Benicio del Toro is doing in this movie:

Spoiler

Just in this film.

[pause] Oh, DJ. Benicio Del Toro. And Kelly Marie Tran’s Rose. I’m really excited to see those two. I just remember how much time, when the camera wasn’t on me, I spent cracking up, especially at Benicio. Because he just has a way of creating these unique characters. And I think it’s great to see him really delve into a kind of like comedic but dodgy guy. He kind of reminds me of Lando Calrissian and that kind of vibe.

Spoiler

Would you say there’s more dialogue in The Last Jedi than The Force Awakens?

Yeah, definitely. Definitely a lot more talking, because everybody’s trying to figure themselves out, figure out what’s happening. They’ve got to communicate. They’ve got to all communicate this time.

I don't mind this. But I sure hope the movie

Spoiler

is well written and does not turn into a bore fest.

5 hours ago, toothless said:

SPOILER ALERT : New shots from Canto bight

And new posters, videos and images here : http://lestoilesheroiques.fr/2017/12/star-wars-derniers-jedi-bande-annonce-chinoise-pos.html

Woah that ending is awesome!

Well, you are lucky.

I go to the theater to have a better experience than at home. That's why I'm looking for 4K projection (dual projector and laser if available) and Dolby Atmos or DTS-X (I wanna hear JW soundtracks in the best possible setup). The thing is, theaters who have theses technologies also have 3D…

I find that the Dolby 3D is the best technology in terms of light and lack of ghosting. That being said, I do have one major complain for 3D : in movies like Star Wars it tends to make everything feel "small", as if I was looking at a model. And it's sad… given the theater where I usually go has a 16 meters wide screen.

When I saw TFA the second time in a regular cinema with 2D 2K projection. The color accuracy was awful and the contrast just meh and the picture lacked sharpness BUT the overall thing was more "grand".

28 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I love 3D. I don't understand why you would prefer 2D. 

There's lots of reasons. What about people who wear glasses? Hardly comfortable wearing 3D glasses over the top. Plus it dims the image and because the glasses are so uncomfortable you're more conscious of the fact you're watching a movie, rather than being immersed in the story. It's a gimmick and a distraction for something you basically forget about after 5 minutes.

Then there's all the technical issues our cinema had. Every second time I saw a 3D movie there were alignment or projection issues with the left/right frames. It must have driven staff up the wall constantly fixing up the problems and dealing with people who didn't have glasses. Clearly the feedback from the majority was that 3D was more trouble than it was worth, hence reverting to 2D.

I've seen exactly two films that I thought benefited from the 3D experience...Avatar and Gravity. I thought they were both incredibly immersive watching that way, but both lost a lot for me watching in 2D at home. They worked in 3D because they were designed pretty much to be a 3D experience.

Otherwise, I think it's a distraction. 

Smaug in 3D HFR was truly amazing. I couldn’t believe how good it was.

It would take a lot of getting used to though for most films and wouldn’t be practical for something like The Post. 

I only saw BOFA in 3D HFR and was really taken out of the movie by it.  I wonder if HFR looks better in real-ass movies that aren't composited and color-corrected to hell.

Is Cameron shooting the Avatar sequels in HFR?  I seem to remember him being an advocate of HFR around the time of The Hobbit.

After decades being accustomed to 24fps movies, it's normal that some people find it weird to watch movies in HFR. But be it 40 or 60 fps, HFR is more close to real life. It's more importantthan 3D to me… I just hope James Cameron will help spread the word. Speaking about 3D, HFR really helps me to accept it  (despite the worst CGI or color grading of all time, it's one thing that the hobbits movies did right : using HFR to improve 3D perception).

To me, every movie should be seen with :

- Really comfortable seats, no need for anything that moves.

- Laser 4K projection such as Dolby Vision : https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-for-creative-professionals.html

- HFR 60fps

- Dolby Atmos, DTS-X or else.

I don't care about 3D, IMAX, 4DX, DBOX and so on.

4 minutes ago, toothless said:

After centuries being accustomed to 24fps movies,

Centuries? Feature-length movies have only been around for about one! :D

As for HFR, both high-profile examples (The Hobbit and that Ang Lee football movie) were seen as failures.  So I dunno where it stands with the Hollywood suits.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Centuries? Feature-length movies have only been around for about one! :D

As for HFR, both high-profile examples (The Hobbit and that Ang Lee football movie) were seen as failures.  So I dunno where it stands with the Hollywood suits.

I meant "decades" :P Also I edited my post.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The big bucket of popcorn

The biggest jug of diet soda they have

Nobody in the two rows around you

My man!  If I'm feeling particularly "no fucks given" self-indulgent I'll have popcorn and my candy of choice (cookie dough bites for me).

AUJ 3D HFR was the only Hobbit film I say in 3D HFR.  And aside from Gravity it was the last 3D film I saw at all.

I can't say I thought it made the film "real". If anything it highlighted how the CGI and and cinematography made it look like a fantasy film. And why should films look "real" anyway? What does that even mean?

Again, film is nothing like real life. Nothing. Why is it a virtue to try to look like it is? I can get real life for free and in HD anytime I want.

Is it just me or are they not planning as many showings of TLJ as TFA had?  At least in my area.  For TFA they had non-3D showings at 9am, 10am, 11am, etc. etc.   This time around the earliest non-3D showings are at noon!

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

You'll find most major torrenting sites have an excellent selection of 2D blockbusters.

Projected on a 50 foot screen with Dolby surround sound?!  Sign me up.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Projected on a 50 foot screen with Dolby surround sound?!  Sign me up.

No, but I can let you borrow my Kindle Fire (1st gen) if you like. 

44 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

That's nothing. I peak at other people watching movies on their iWatch on the train.

I enjoy trying to figure out what movies or shows the people near me are watching on public transportation. A few weeks ago a guy was watching Raising Victor Vargas.