Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

I usually agree with this guy's reviews, and he had a lot of good things to say. 

Stuckmann is certainly operating on the more "populist" level of film criticism, but I'm actually surprised to see someone who is a huge fan of Star Wars be very balanced with his judgement of the film. I expected him to give it an A+. He ended up giving it the same grade he gave The Desolation of Smaug.

I'd wait for the more cerebral guys to have their say, though. Although those, too, are not always without their fan-bias.

The criticism of the Finn-Rose plot line seems quite universal.

Rotten Tomatoes isn't the best measure of quality.

I'd much rather take a couple of film critics, from the populist to the cerebral edges of the spectrum, and see what each of them thinks in depth.

It's the calculated average of the percentage of critics who like a film, with a brief summary of the film's strengths and apparent weaknesses. No bias whatsoever. I'd say its a valuable tool to help the average moviegoer decide whether or not to see a film that's out.

Every so often they might have a score/consensus that I might have a quibble with, but overall, I'd say they're fairly accurate 80% of the time.

I never care what critics say, the gentleman from The Irish paper is a prime example, he doesn’t even sound like he was interested in the film to begin with.

Scenario A: Lots of bad reviews, JWFanner: 'Now, those critics are biased, nuts and unbalanced. For sure have to see this for myself!

Scenario B: Lots of excellent reviews, JWFanner: 'This time it's real! The all around great SW movie i have waited for. Sure will see this NOW'

Sees movie. Movie is, depending on the level of sophistication of viewer, best thing ever, fair or middling. Will go see it 8 times regardless.

31 minutes ago, publicist said:

Scenario A: Lots of bad reviews, JWFanner: 'Now, those critics are biased, nuts and unbalanced. For sure have to see this for myself!

Scenario B: Lots of excellent reviews, JWFanner: 'This time it's real! The all around great SW movie i have waited for. Sure will see this NOW'

Sees movie. Movie is, depending on the level of sophistication of viewer, best thing ever, fair or middling. Will go see it 8 times regardless.

They must be rich.

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

I got my ticket for the movie saturday at 12:15 PM (the hour of child and old people like me).

:w00t:

Goooood!

I'll the the movie in 6 hours :w00t:

5 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I never care what critics say

giphy.webp

1 hour ago, publicist said:

giphy.webp

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The way people gravitate towards and fanatically refresh the RT site during these release rituals is just saaaaad maaan. 

Oh yeah no totally... (definitely just did that)

I'm actuall pleasantly surprised to see that critics, and especially the low-end YouTube critics, are not just losing their minds and heaping praise on this film in a way that they did for The Force Awakens. The novelty of getting new Star Wars films has started to wear off, it seems, and this vein of internet criticism is better off for it.

People, across the board, seem to be having issues - albeit minor ones - with the Finn-Rose story and its contribution to pacing, and I've heard some complaints about humor and lack of fleshing out characters such as Phasma. Whereas in The Force Awakens, people were much more forgiving to flaws such as the late introduction of Starkiller Base, the distracting Rathtar sequence, etc...

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

It’s officially a masterpiece until the next one comes out. Then we can acknowledge it’s flaws. 

Its funny, I do think this film (and Rogue One) helped in driving home the deriviative nature of The Force Awakens to a lot of fans that were previously enamoured with it. In one sense, its perfectly natural: critique is, by its nature, comparative.

I was wondering:

Would you pay 25 euros to see first (only by a day before the official release) Star Wars?

This is what they charge tonight in a theater for the first screening of Star Wars in Greece.

12 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I was wondering:

Would you pay 25 euros to see first (only by a day before the official release) Star Wars?

This is what they charge tonight in a theater for the first screening of Star Wars in Greece.

I did. In Canada it comes out on friday so I'll get to see it thursday at 6pm. But I paid $30CAD for it x) CAN'T WAIT! 1 day left!!!

Oh yeah, my $30 ticket isn't even IMAX x) 

But they said we're gonna be treated with special content... lol Probably some collectible cards or something.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

What a pity it isn't earning mixed reviews. This'll be another 3 star movie come next autumn! 

I think that, given time, this movie isn't going to have the universal praise that it's getting right now.

I turned off TFA when watching it the other day. I believe it was the scene at Maz's bar that finally did it for me. Atrociously boring movie. 

I quite liked TLJ. Perhaps part of it was because I didn't expect much at all going in. I had pretty high expectations going into TFA.  

3 minutes ago, Hurmm said:

I turned off TFA when watching it the other day. I believe it was the scene at Maz's bar that finally did it for me. Atrociously boring movie. 

I quite liked TLJ. Perhaps part of it was because I didn't expect much at all going in. I had pretty high expectations going into TFA.  

TFA is great and really promising until Han  Solo shows up. It gets sidetracked with him and gets rather dull until he dies and then it pick up again but then ends.

TFA would have been better if Ford hadn’t agreed to come back. His role is too big and aside from a few humours moments he adds very little beyond bloat. 

The Rathtars ffs. Mazzzzzzzzzzzzzz 😴 

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

TFA is boring.

This statement kind of surprised me at first, but now that I think of it, I think I might agree...

I also started watching it last weekend and didn't even finish it. 

I remember I absolutely loved it when it came out, but I feel like I don't even have the excitement of watching it again. As if I've already seen it enough times.

This is kind of sad. I hope it might only be because I'm so hyped for TLJ resulting in a lack of interest in the past instalments. :huh:

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

This statement kind of surprised me at first, but now that I think of it, I think I might agree...

I also started watching it last weekend and didn't even finish it. 

I remember I absolutely loved it when it came out, but I feel like I don't even have the excitement of watching it again. As if I've already seen it enough times.

This is kind of sad. I hope it might only be because I'm so hyped for TLJ resulting in a lack of interest in the past instalments. :huh:

TFA is, tonally, exactly what a Star Wars movie should be.  I'd argue that it's the most "fun" and "enjoyable" of any of them.  It's hard for me to not be giddy as a kid watching it because it's filled with so many incredible chill-enducing moments.  

TLJ really isn't fun, in any way.  And does more to mess with your mind than anything else.  It's dark, like Empire, sure but not because it needed to be.  It just felt manipulative and cold.

2 minutes ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

TLJ really isn't fun, in any way.  And does more to mess with your mind than anything else.  It's dark, like Empire, sure but not because it needed to be.  It just felt manipulative and cold.

Oh god, I don't know what to make of all the different reviews now haha

I guess I'll have to wait and see for my own impression tomorrow x)

6 minutes ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

TFA is, tonally, exactly what a Star Wars movie should be.  I'd argue that it's the most "fun" and "enjoyable" of any of them.  It's hard for me to not be giddy as a kid watching it because it's filled with so many incredible chill-enducing moments.  

What's so good about "fun" movies? It mitigates the emotional stakes, and as a result can never deliver the same kind of poignancy as a more serious film. Its just juvenile and escapist.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

What's so good about "fun" movies? It mitigates the emotional stakes, and as a result can never deliver the same kind of poignancy as a more serious film. Its just juvenile and escapist.

Maybe for you.  They're not mutually exclusive.  I can point out probably 8 different times that I cried during TFA. 

There's nothing like that in TLJ.

Just now, DigitalfreakNYC said:

I can point out probably 8 different times that I cried during TFA. 

There's nothing like that in TLJ.

Not even for Carrie? :(

Just now, Luka said:

Not even for Carrie? :(

No. I won't say I didn't cry but it wasn't because of anything that happened in the movie.  It was purely because I knew this was the last time I would see her on film as that character ever again.

20 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Movies should be dark, oppressive and difficult to watch. Like Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, SW should be about Rey being the victim of ongoing sexual assault by Luke, who is possessed by Snoke, causing her to snort space cocaine and hang out in seedy bars on Coruscant flashing her tits and making out with a Hutt.