Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

Spoiler

23 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Not by much...

By enough. The 3 showdowns for every character approach was a sure drawback but Mark Hamill gave this one the much needed gravitas TFA lacked completely. Lots of of light and shadow in this one.

Spoiler

Sure, but then you have two subplots you honestly don't give a fuck about, thus making the overly long running time feel unjustified, an uneven tone, a script that keeps changing directions because it feels like the writers are unsure where exactly they want to go... Maybe its best aspects are better than the best aspects of TFA, but its worst aspects are also worse than those of TFA, I'd say.

I do agree that Hamill really elevates the whole film, though.

Spoiler

There is a lot of silly fluff in it but honestly, any director who brings off two or three good character moments like the Luke/Rey scenes in these movies and explores the interesting brother/sister dynamic between Rey and Kylo plus the interesting development that an evil nazi empire is now ruled by an angry emo teen is enough to forgive the other 70 minutes of useless hollering.

Seeing this in less than two hours!! :woop:

I haven't heard a note of the score. So excited. Not to mention the film itself. 

I've had butterflies in my stomach practically all day. :lol:

I'm in the theater now, show's about to start. My seat is so close to the screen I can barely see anything clearly. D'oh!

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Can you guys continue discussion of the actual movie over to the spoiler thread?  Thanks!

I haven't seen the film yet and just caught up with the thread and BB and Pub just spoiled everything!

Jay always turns GD into a micromanaged mess during these time limited events. There's no way on fuckin earth I'm keeping tabs on 4 or 5 different threads essentially all discussing the same thing and sometimes spread over multiple threads, so I generally just post in the first thread I see. His thread titles alone are like little puzzles which bore me off. 

There are way too many Last Jedi threads in GD and in the John Williams forum. 

Keep one and slap a spoiler notice on it and people can wait until they see the film before entering a thread. 

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/12/18/16792184/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-review-bomb

Movie fandom in 2017. Do you think it'll get worse before it gets better? I wonder if in 40 years the internet will cringe at its younger behaviour. 

The divide between critics and audiences is simple, one is a knowledgeable and accredited collection of writers and scholars whose job it is to review and discuss film, the other is a large hoard of moaning, popcorn-guzzling, entitled whiners who know next to nothing about the art of filmmaking.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

The divide between critics and audiences is simple, one is a knowledgeable and accredited collection of writers and scholars whose job it is to review and discuss film, the other is a large hoard of moaning, popcorn-guzzling, entitled whiners who know next to nothing about the art of filmmaking.

This is the same mob dancing on the grave of 20th Century Fox because their stupid funny book characters can now exist in the same cinematic universe as the Avengers. I even saw one of them say "Disney is finally taking back what is rightfully theirs". I hate these people.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Consensus only means most of them liked it. Nothing more.

Karol

Exactly. So it follows that the film was positively received by a majority of critics...

Karol was questioning my original post which stated exactly what he had replied with. Chen said the critics have also had negative things to say, to which I responded the consensus among the critics is positive, to which Karol responded with his clarification of what consensus was, which was a moot point to make considering it was never in question...

Just saw the movie yesterday. I liked it very much, although I need to see it one more time to properly grasp all the going-ons, because there were a LOT of them here. It didn't have the "charm" and wit of TFA (which I found superior), but this was less an ode to the originals and more its own thing.

I've listened to the score a few times already (before I saw the movie), and although I'll probably include it in my runner-ups, I don't see quite how I can fit it in my top 10 of the year.

Both movie and score hover somewhere between my 10 and 20, which is quite good considering the amount of scores I hear and films I see every year. Not 'smashing' top spot material, but somewhere in the category right after.

Just remembered this post from October..... interesting how in The Last Jedi,

Spoiler

Snoke does indeed Force-choke General Hux from across the galaxy (just after the Resistance cruisers escaped from D'Qar)!

On 10/13/2017 at 5:46 PM, Matt S. said:
On 10/13/2017 at 5:33 PM, The Doctor said:

One of the dumbest show of Force ability in Star Wars is Darth Vader choking that guy from across the galaxy in Empire. Yeah, the one everyone claims is perfect. If Vader is that powerful, why doesn't he just choke everyone from other spaceships and end this shit?

Which guy across the galaxy?  If you're talking about Admiral Ozzel, the guy he choked over the video screen, they were both on the same ship..... Ozzel was on the bridge and Vader was in his chambers.  Am I forgetting somebody else?

On 12/21/2017 at 8:42 AM, Matt S. said:

Just remembered this post from October..... interesting how in The Last Jedi,

Hide contents

Snoke does indeed Force-choke General Hux from across the galaxy (just after the Resistance cruisers escaped from D'Qar)!

You need to know the precise X, Y, and Z coordinates of your victims in spacers to be able to Force choke them accurately. Duh.