Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

Much like Rogue One, I think the TLJ promotional build-up generally won't be as huge as TFA was.  TFA was an event, a comeback, etc, and Disney had a lot on the line to make sure people knew about it and saw it.  TLJ is "this year's Star Wars movie," and guaranteed a billion dollar audience.  We'll be lucky just to get something substantial about the score on the Blu-ray.

Nice BTS featurette. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/10/24/star-wars-last-jedi-see-exclusive-new-behind-the-scenes-video-carrie-fisher/793390001/

I don't believe there's any new JW music -- sounds like trailer house stuff plus ESB snippets. 

8 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

I guess we're not getting a TLJ scoring session featurette from 60 Minutes this year.  But maybe a short clip from TLJ at the AMAs like they did with TFA?

That was a nice bit, but I think it was just happenstance that it involved the score.  I think 60 minutes wanted to do a story on TFA and there was a scoring session taking place, so they made it the backdrop. 

3 hours ago, Tom said:

That was a nice bit, but I think it was just happenstance that it involved the score.  I think 60 minutes wanted to do a story on TFA and there was a scoring session taking place, so they made it the backdrop. 

Ah, good point. :(

Unless 60 Minutes started filming this summer, they wouldn't have gotten anything from the sessions. (Whereas TFA, of course, was scoring into November!)

They would had to have filmed closer to the summer for TFA as well, considering most of the music heard, especially for the opening, are extremely different in the final (because they were eventually rescored).

24 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

They would had to have filmed closer to the summer for TFA as well, considering most of the music heard, especially for the opening, are extremely different in the final (because they were eventually rescored).

Oh, also a good point. Hope is still alive! ;)

18 hours ago, Will said:

Nice BTS featurette. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/10/24/star-wars-last-jedi-see-exclusive-new-behind-the-scenes-video-carrie-fisher/793390001/

I don't believe there's any new JW music -- sounds like trailer house stuff plus ESB snippets. 

Spoiler

Judging by the hilt, that doesn't seem to be the Skywalker lightsaber. The part closest to the blade is quite different. Take a look.

luke's lightsaber.jpg

*EDIT* never mind, it's his original saber

If that's indeed going to happen in the film, it's pretty bizarre that they revealed such a major spoiler in an international poster. 

What happened to his green saber? If nothing else, it wouldn't fit the colour scheme, so maybe they just photoshopped in Rey's?

Seems pretty clear that Luke's saber is now Rey's and they ain't gonna share it!

Obviously the post-ROTJ canon is non-canon now, but Luke always had his green saber after ROTJ. And yeah, it was attached to his belt in the final scene.

I think it'll be the big reveal in the third act when, presumably, something forces them to abandon Acht-To. Just like the moment Rey first ignites the blue saber in TFA, it'll be the goosebump-inducing moment of TLJ. Just wait until you see how Williams scores it!

...with tracked music from Empire.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

I think it'll be the big reveal in the third act when, presumably, something forces them to abandon Acht-To.

Well, Rey came with the Falcon, and in the trailer it's clearly flying around in that white-and-red planet where the Resistance fight the First Order.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I find it hard to believe that Rey and Luke will be kicking around on Porg Planet for the entire first two acts of the movie.

The planet is called Achtung Baby.  It might not matter to you, but accuracy is important!

Here's a few screenshots from the new TV spot:

Spoiler

Luke in the Millennium Falcon! Nerdgasm!

luke in the falcon.PNG

Spoiler

A new look at Snoke's immense throne room, presumably located in his flagship, the Supremacy.

snoke's throne room.PNG

Spoiler

Finn, as charismatic as ever, piloting a "ski speeder" during the battle of Crait.

finn.PNG

Spoiler

A shot of Rey holding the Skywalker lightsaber defensively, as if she is prepared to attack someone. Maybe Luke? This shot comes right after a shot of Luke himself, possibly wounded, lying on the ground, grimly warning "This is not going to end the way you think!" Perhaps Rey does indeed turn to the dark side, and Luke is forced to confront her??

rey.PNG

Whether I watch the trailer or not has no impact on the film itself. I thought they were showing too much in the TFA trailers, then when I watched the film I was surprised when I found out they barely showed anything outside of the first act. 

The only legitimate concern we need to watch for are idiots posting leaked GIFs on the forums. I was in a 3D modelling forum about a week before TFA was released, and was pissed to find someone flooded an entire page with GIFs of Han Solo being killed.

I can't wait to hear how Williams scores

Spoiler

the Falcon's dramatic entrance shooting down TIEs above that white/red planet.

Dayum, shit's gonna be intense! Force Theme in action mode please!

The whole film looks insanely ripe for musical inspiration, especially the visuals. You can understand his restrained material for Snoke with that holographic temple in TFA but there's no way he'll show restraint for that blood red throne room in TLJ. I can already hear him channeling his Emperor material from ROTJ. 

Fingers crossed Williams has knocked this out of the park.

One thing though… The shot (same as in the trailer) where Luke says :

Spoiler

"This is not going to go the way you think"

is soooo blury… I don't know if this one has also been shot on film rather than digitally but it's unacceptable to have these kind of flaws…

This video explains the problem on TFA :

TLJ was shot on film, as was TFA. I think Rogue One was digital.

But films nowadays are colour graded to hell and back, so it adds to the "artificiality" of modern Hollywood visuals. Just look at how Kaminski trashed his own cinematography in KOTCS, yikes!

I know the problems with color grading but it is not about that. Star wars is somehow better color graded than any other marvel film where the black value is more grey than black. The problem here is that some shots are just blurry………

For colourful superheroes, Marvel sure knows how to drain it out and leave a cold, dark husk of nothingness behind, and the cinematography is shit!