So Shane Black is directing a Predator sequel...

Jay

The original AvP comic by Mark Verheiden was great. All the followup comics and the first film (I never saw the second) were terrible. Never played any of the video games.

That first AvP comic was such a cool story that fits in well with established Aliens films (only two at the time) and prior comics.

Such a shame Paul POS Anderson got ahold of it a wrote an entirely new dumb story set on Earth instead of using that story.

I'm actually somewhat of a Paul W.S. Anderson fan, so I liked what he did with the first film -- although I would also have been interested to see what he could have done with a straight adaptation of the comic (what's the storyline there, btw?).

Thor. Which film do you prefer. Aliens vs Predator or it's 2012 remake called Prometheus?

He, he...is that a loaded question? They have little in common besides the fact that they both touch on the ALIEN mythos.

PROMETHEUS is -- as you all probably know -- my unquestionable favourite film of that year. A marvelous piece of cinema that IMO is insanely underrated and misunderstood.

ALIEN VS. PREDATOR is a pretty cool monster/sci fi flick in its own right, but waters out some of the art and the depth of the franchise otherwise.

No competition, really.

PROMETHEUS is -- as you all probably know -- my unquestionable favourite film of that year. A marvelous piece of cinema that IMO is insanely underrated and misunderstood.

How is it misunderstood? Develop!

He, he...is that a loaded question? They have little in common besides the fact that they both touch on the ALIEN mythos.

I disagree. They are essentially the same film.. Or have at least very many plot similarities. And both borrow heavily from Chariots Of The Gods.

I disagree. They are essentially the same film.. Or have at least very many plot similarities. And both borrow heavily from Chariots Of The Gods.

Some superficial plot similarities (stress on 'superficial'), but the project couldn't be further removed.

As for yet another debate on the pros and cons of PROMETHEUS, I'm not sure I'm up to that now. Didn't we have one fairly recently?

To be honest, I don't really see that much of a similarity in the plot either (beyond the fact that both include an expedition to a remote location where ancient beings are located -- which could be used on any number of plots).

The original AvP comic by Mark Verheiden was great. All the followup comics and the first film (I never saw the second) were terrible. Never played any of the video games.

That first AvP comic was such a cool story that fits in well with established Aliens films (only two at the time) and prior comics.

Such a shame Paul POS Anderson got ahold of it a wrote an entirely new dumb story set on Earth instead of using that story.

Using my nickname I see ;)

There's only one Paul POS Anderson, and that's the one who directed THE MASTER.

Really? I think both Paul Andersons are fantastic, but for very different reasons.

He, he...yeah, almost.

But I do think we need some balance to the constant negativity in this place, on a great many issues.

There has never been a good video game movie, so Koray should have known.

Well there is Silent Hill, but not the horrendous sequel. SH actually managed to translate the unique look and disturbing atmosphere of the games, especially Silent Hill 2. I think of all the shitty video game movies and then there's Silent Hill, which IMO is pretty good.

And there's another: Halo: Forward Unto Dawn, a sort of prologue to Halo 4, which does a good bit of fan service, and despite the low budget is very well executed and has interesting characters.

So Stefancos, I guess you are wrong in your assumption that all video game movies suck... ;)

There has never been a good video game movie, so Koray should have known.

Well there is Silent Hill, but not the horrendous sequel. SH actually managed to translate the unique look and disturbing atmosphere of the games, especially Silent Hill 2. I think of all the shitty video game movies and then there's Silent Hill, which IMO is pretty good.

Silent Hill got the atmosphere down but filled it with the most stupid characters and the most awful story. It's crap.

So will this be called Predator 3 then? If so, then it's about time some one made one!

Forward Unto Dawn was awful! But I applaud what they attempted to do, and on that budget. I know it has plenty of fans.

Sure it was small in scale, given its subject matter... but it surprised my brother that he liked it, and he doesn't give a crap about the Halo mythology.

I think concentrating on the squadron, and let Master Chief be a secondary character was an interesting choice. But what an entrance of the dude !

Maybe it'll be the foundation for a real Halo film later on. And hopefully one that pays homage to the games.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Yeah. I'm fairly certain it's all tongue in cheek though. There's some amusing social commentary in there, it's sort of like a crude precursor to Starship Troopers.

So wait, is this different to the Predator reboot from a few years ago? What the hell is this film meant to be? Predator 4? Is it even happening? What is going on?!

What's going on is that Shane Black has been hired by Fox to write and direct a Predator film. How it relates to the others or what it will be called hasn't been stated, nor has a release date been set.

Also, he is still finishing one film he was already working on when hired, and he's also attached to a Remo Williams revival. Whether the Remo or Predator film will get made first is unclear