-

BloodBoal

I went for Season 3 Episode 9: The Rains of Castamere. I knew what was coming and I was hollow for about two days after watching it.

It was a really cool battle, but the episode itself didn't have as much intensity as the other ninth episodes.

My view is the opposite of that! The battle pales in comparison to the one at Castle Black (except for the wildfire explosion), but overall the episode is more intense, due largely to its masterful structure and pacing. I'd vote for it as the best individual episode of the series yet.

...Thorne vs. Tormund, Jon vs. Styr, the cook slaying Wildlings, Pyp's death, Green's last stand in the tunnel, Sam coming into his own, Ygritte finally dying (yay!), the scythe?

Yeah, The Watchers on the Wall is a sequence of very impressive action scenes!

FWIW after the Red Wedding I'd have picked Season 1 Episode 9.

I'll need to see The Watchers on the Wall again before I decide about that one.

Of course not! That's when Game of Thrones properly announced itself to the world. After this you knew no one was safe.

Richard Madden's performance in the follow up episode was excellent to by the way.

Where's the emotion in Blackwater?

Tyrion's speech! Cercei almost putting her children out of their misery.

Yeah, I agree with those as the emotional apexes of the episode. In particular, I'd say that the "mother lion and her cub" moment out-emotes anything I can remember from The Watchers on the Wall. But the superiority of Blackwater doesn't rest upon these. The whole episode is crammed with a wide variety interesting moments, bursting with references which develop or foreshadow ideas from past and future episodes.

There was more at stake, more characters we cared about...

Pairing up characters from the two episodes, we get:

• Jon vs. Tyrion
  • Alliser Thorne vs. the Hound
  • Gilly vs. Sansa
  • Ygritte vs. Shae
  • Tormund vs. Bronn
  • Janos Slynt vs. Joffrey
  • Aemon vs. Varys
  • Olly vs. Pod
  • Grenn vs. Davos
  • Pyp vs. Stannis
  • Edd vs. Matthos
  • Styr vs. Pycelle
In each of these cases, I think that Blackwater provides a character at least as engaging as the Watchers counterpart (well maybe not the Edd vs. Matthos one), and in most cases more so. The most prominent omissions are Sam and Cersei; personally I find Cersei more interesting, but from what you said above I guess you disagree!

Third Season followed by the first season. The big battles in this series leave a bit bitter taste in the mouth because of the paltry budget which really makes them seem like stripped down versions of their novel counterparts. The ones focusing on drama and characters work better imo.

Honestly I can't even remember what will be next possible cliffhanger finale blowout for season 5. Time to read the last two novels again!

Third Season followed by the first season. The big battles in this series leave a bit bitter taste in the mouth because of the paltry budget which really makes them seem like stripped down versions of their novel counterparts. The ones focusing on drama and characters work better imo.

Honestly I can't even remember what will be next possible cliffhanger finale blowout for season 5. Time to read the last two novels again!

MASSIVE SPOILERS!!!

Stannis at the battle outside Winterfell and his supposed death and the stabbing of Jon at Castle Black

MASSIVE SPOILERS!!!

Stannis at the battle outside Winterfell and his supposed death and the stabbing of Jon at Castle Black

Ah yes the classic Martin twists. Gotta to love those!

Season One. It's the murder of the only good and honorable man in all of this universe.

Everyone else left in the GoT universe could get overrun by the Yi Ti empire and I would be ok with it. ;)

I'm inclined to agree with that. The Battle of Castle Black felt empty. Robb got what was coming to him by being an oath breaker. The Battle of the Blackwater is a close second, but it wouldn't have been so bad if Stannis had won, other than the end of most of the tale until the zombies and dragons show up.

[Grenn vs. Davos] Grenn, definitely.

Not by a long shot. Davos is far more interesting, and Liam Cunningham is able to inject character even into his lines in Blackwater, which are largely expositional. The delivery of his laconic retort to Matthos's expression of faith that "the Lord of Light will keep us safe" ("But not them?") wins the point over any amount of shouting Night's Watch vows.

[Tormund vs. Bronn] While I love Bronn as a character, he didn't do much during the battle. Tormund wins this one!

Battle schmattle. Both characters' most interesting moments in the respective episodes occur before the start of the battle. Tormund's brief attempt to recall the story of his conjugal encounter with a bear is no match for the tavern scene between Bronn and the Hound. Bronn gets that point.

[Alliser Thorne vs. the Hound] Draw again (I almost want to give Thorne the edge, because teh Hound was basically a frightened puppy during the battle. His "Fuck the king!" saved him, though).

Thorne has some good moments in the episode (though I think that their effect is partly due to cheating on the writers' part, as they deliberately made him seem like more of a Janos Slynt character in earlier episodes of the season, rather than the Thorne of Season 1), but there is nothing to match up to the Hound's arc over the course of Blackwater. The depiction of his conflicting impulses during the battle, with his aversion to fire winning out over his loyalty to the Lannisters, enhances his character rather than diminishing it. On top of that, he gets several iconic scenes throughout the episode: the tavern scene, "Fuck the king!", and his final scene with Sansa. It's almost a shame to give the Hound only one point over Thorne.

[Styr vs. Pycelle] Hahahahaha! Seriously? I won't even bother giving an answer to that one! It goes without saying.

Pycelle doesn't have much to do in Blackwater, but there's more to his brief scene than there is to Styr's character in the entire series. Styr is barely a character at all. Raaaarrggghhhh! Yumyumyum! Still, in view of the brevity Pycelle's appearance, I'll call this one a draw.

So, the corrected score is: Blackwater 7 - 2 Watchers.

We're supposed to care for Cersei because they try to show us that she's only a bitch because she had a shitty childhood and whatnots and all she does is only to protect her children, but all I see is this bitter and irritating character. I would have preferred her to die than Joffrey during the Purple Wedding!

Well, I said I find her character more interesting, not likable, nor that I'm always hoping that events will work out in her favour. Of course we're supposed to care about her; ever since her involvement in two of the initial inciting incidents (the attempted murder of Bran and the actual murder of Lady in the first two episodes) one of the main driving forces behind the narrative is that there should be some form of redress against her and the rest of the culprits. One of the joys of Blackwater is the sense of ambiguity conveyed by the ending, where the "Lannisters to the rescue!" moment is depicted in a genuine heroic manner, in contrast to the more complicated feelings the viewer is likely to have about a Lannister victory.

Cersei also gets a bonus point for her childish mimicry of Sansa's comment about praying to the gods!

Nah, rewatching season 1 that moment still packs a punch. There have been bigger "WTF?!" moments since but that doesn't meant they're better.

But Ned's death is the twist. Everything in Westeros that happens after it is because of Ned's death.

Obviously the real start is when the Targs crossed the Narrow Season and conquered Westeros. Pity Dany wouldn't think to do the same!