John Williams scores - by Film Studio

Jay

On 11/28/2018 at 9:40 AM, Brundlefly said:

@Jay, wouldn't it meanwhile be appropriate to list the Lucasfilm titles among the Disney titles?

I decided you're right, and I just moved the Star Wars titles there.

It's not clear if the Indy films still involve Paramount or not, so I put them under Disney with a note that Paramount might still be a factor.

In addition to that, if the Star Wars OT is not striked through, neither does Hook deserve to be.

On 11/28/2018 at 12:37 PM, bollemanneke said:

Yes, Hook doesn't count for me.

OK, I un-crossed-out Hook.

Incidentally, I was surprised to see there are still FIFTY pre-WOTW titles for the labels to (hopefully) work on!

On 7/2/2014 at 10:38 AM, Jay said:

Allied Artists
1960 I Passed For White

Disney
1977 Star Wars(1997 RCA release is not complete)
1980 The Empire Strikes Back(1997 RCA release is not complete and has sound quality issues)
1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark  [Paramount still involved?] (2008 Concord release is not complete and has pitch issues)
1983 Return of the Jedi (1997 RCA release is not complete and has sound quality issues)
1984 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom [Paramount still involved?] (2008 Concord release is not complete and has pitch issues)
1989 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade [Paramount still involved?] (2008 Concord release is not complete)
1999 The Phantom Menace (2000 Ultimate Edition is not complete and has many other problems)
1995 Nixon
2002 Attack of the Clones
2005 Revenge of the Sith

Dreamworks
1997 Amistad
2002 Minority Report [Fox (US Only)]
2002 Catch Me If You Can
2004 The Terminal
2005 War of the Worlds [Paramount (US Only)]

Fox
1967 Valley of the Dolls
1973 The Paper Chase (FSM 1998 released can be improved upon)
1974 Conrack (FSM 1998 released can be improved upon)
1974 The Towering Inferno (FSM 2001 release is long out of print and can be improved upon)
1982 Monsignor (Intrada 2007 release is not expanded)
1986 SpaceCamp (Intrada 2010 release - and 2014 re-issue - are not expanded)

MGM (United Artists)
1971 Fiddler On The Roof

Paramount
1969 The Reivers
1995 Sabrina
1999 Angela's Ashes

Sony (Columbia / Tri-Star)
1958 Daddy-O [imperial Productions / American International Pictures]
1960 Because They're Young
1963 Gidget Goes To Rome
1991 Hook (La-La Land 2012 release is not complete)
1997 Seven Years In Tibet
1998 Stepmom
2000 The Patriot

Universal
1961 The Secret Ways
1965 The Killers
1966 The Rare Breed
1966 The Plainsman
1970 Storia di una donna (Story of a Woman)
1972 The Screaming Woman
1974 The Sugarland Express
1974 Earthquake
1975 The Eiger Sanction
1984 The River
1989 Born On The Fourth Of July
1989 Always
1992 Far And Away

Warner Brothers
1987 The Witches Of Eastwick (Perseverance 2012 release is not expanded)
1988 The Accidental Tourist (FSM 2008 release is not expanded)
1990 Presumed Innocent ("Probably" Controlled by Varese in perpetuity)
1991 JFK
1996 Sleepers

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Incidentally, I was surprised to see there are still FIFTY pre-WOTW titles for the labels to (hopefully) work on!

At first glance that does seem like there's a long way to go (and there is!), however, about 1/3 of the 50 (15) are under the Mouse's control unfortunately.  So 35 spread out with the remaining studios isn't too daunting, especially when you consider 31 (counting Hook) have been expanded since 2010!  

I would expect the amount of expansions to slow down slightly due to the number of post 2005 scores with the increased union fees, but I'd like to be proven wrong! :)

EDIT:  Didn't realize the 50 was pre WOTW, so that would mean 40 not under the Mouse's thumb :)

I'm hoping for several Dreamworks releases in 2019, plenty of missing material in these scores!

Dreamworks
1997 Amistad
2002 Minority Report [Fox (US Only)]
2002 Catch Me If You Can
2004 The Terminal
2005 War of the Worlds [Paramount (US Only)]

• 1 month later...

Some anniversaries this year:

50th anniversary:
The Reivers (1969)

45th anniversary:
Conrack (1974)
The Towering Inferno (1974)
The Sugarland Express (1974)
Earthquake (1974)

35th anniversary:
The River (1984)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

30th anniversary:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
Always (1989)

20th anniversary:
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
Angela's Ashes (1999)

15th anniversary:
The Terminal (2004)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Another one bites the dust! :)

Hopefully Intrada will re-release SpaceCamp as well this year in expanded form.  Now that the '70s have been well represented as of late with expanded releases the '80s need to feel the love as well!  Monsignor was a good start and another quality release by Intrada and Matessino.

An update to the list: Joel McNeely, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Poledouris (maybe...no promises yet), Bill Conti, John Williams, James Horner, Hugo Friedhofer, Bruce Broughton, Craig Safan, Chris Young, Lalo Schifrin, Sylvester Levay, Richard Band, Laurence Rosenthal, Jerry Fielding, Bear McCreary, Randy Edelman, possibly Frank DeVol and more! And sometimes more than one by these composers! This includes some world premieres, reissues, expansions...a little of everything.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8108&start=45

• 3 months later...

Maybe 20 minutes or so?  There's never been a session leak, but there has been a sheet music leak, though I've never seen anyone go through and make mockups of what we don't have

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11z6EfZepoLn-vuSoDnE17u0HZjMiChi_Tokh4c05_Zw/edit?usp=sharing

The AFM licensing change happened during the summer of 2005.  War of the Worlds finished just before the change, making Munich and Geisha the first ones after

Wow it a amazing how many titles are crossed by now...

By the way fiddler on the roof should have 'the latest 2000s edition is not complete'. As it is, it seems it only had an ost release.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2019 at 12:01 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

By the way fiddler on the roof should have 'the latest 2000s edition is not complete'. As it is, it seems it only had an ost release.

The 2001 30th anniversary edition is expanded with five tracks - one additional song and for score tracks.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:01 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Wow it a amazing how many titles are crossed by now...

21 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The 2001 30th anniversary edition is expanded with five tracks - one additional song and for score tracks.

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yeah i meant that in the list it is not mentioned

The 1971 OST LP for Fiddler (on United Artists records) had 14 tracks.  The concurrent tape and 8 track release (on Liberty Records) had 3 extra tracks - Entracte, The Pogrom, and Wedding Procession, for a total of 17 tracks.

The 1980s CD release on EMI only had the 14 OST LP tracks.

Then the 30th Anniversary CD release in 2001 had 19 tracks, of which it claimed 5 tracks were previously unreleased.  However, only 2 were brand new; The Rejection Scene, and Any Day NowEntracte, Wedding Procession, and First Act Finale (The Pogrom) had all been on that 1971 cassette/8track.

Regardless, yea, I should mention in the main post that that 2001 still isn't complete.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest edition of Maurizio Caschetto's great Legacy of John Williams podcast features a lengthy interview that is primarily about the new expanded editions of Monsignor, Minority Report, Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, and Earthquake.  However, during various points in the podcast, many other films get mentioned.  Specifically there's a lot of talk about Universal.

Here's the podcast: https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/12/11/mike-matessino-podcast-disaster-soundtrack-collection/

And here's what's left at Universal  that hasn't been worked on by our beloved specialty labels:

On 7/2/2014 at 10:38 AM, Jay said:

Universal
1961 The Secret Ways
1965 The Killers
1966 The Rare Breed
1966 The Plainsman
1970 Storia di una donna (Story of a Woman)
1972 The Screaming Woman
1974 The Sugarland Express
1975 The Eiger Sanction
1984 The River
1989 Born On The Fourth Of July
1989 Always
1992 Far And Away

In the episode, he specifically mentions that elements exist to release The Rare Breed, Story of a Woman, and Sugarland Express, but Williams said "no" to all three.  However, Mike made it clear that he does not think that it was a "permanent no".

He also says at one point, and forgive me for not having a direct quote, but something along the lines of several Universal titles being in the works.

Let the guessing begin!

Oh, and he also talked a lot about FOX, and how him and all the labels rushed to get everything they wanted from there before Disney finished acquiring them, which is what lead to Poseidon and Towering coming out now.  He did say that there are more Fox titles coming out next year that were approved before the merger, but the impression I got from when he said that was that he was referring to works by other composers, not Williams.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

In the episode, he specifically mentions that elements exist to release The Secret Ways, The Rare Breed, and Sugarland Express, but Williams said "no" to all three.  However, Mike made it clear that he does not think that it was a "permanent no".

Actually the three titles (which we already knew about from board postings) that have been transferred but were (hopefully temporarily) nixed for release by Williams were The Rare Breed, Sugarland Express, and Story of a Woman. The Secret Ways does get brought up in the podcast but Mike says he's not even sure if elements survive for it since it is such an early work (while confirming that they do for those other three later Universal scores). That said, we know that Jerry Goldsmith's Universal scores survived from only a year later in 1962 (Lonely Are the Brave and Freud), so I'm not sure why Mike thinks a 1961 score would be less likely to survive.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh, and he also talked a lot about FOX, and how him and all the labels rushed to get everything they wanted from there before Disney finished acquiring them, which is what lead to Poseidon and Towering coming out now.  He did say that there are more Fox titles coming out next year that were approved before the merger, but the impression I got from when he said that was that he was referring to works by other composers, not Williams.

I got that impression too, though there are certainly multiple other Fox titles (including The Paper Chase and Conrack which were included by FSM when they put out the original Poseidon Adventure release) which could use definitive/improved new editions.

It's a fantastic podcast and I only wish it had been longer!

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Actually the three titles (which we already knew about from board postings) that have been transferred but were (hopefully temporarily) nixed for release by Williams were The Rare Breed, Sugarland Express, and Story of a Woman.

cc @Thor

So if we presume (rather, hope) that Hook is one of the two Sony titles that made it under the wire and remain releasable by LLL, which other title would we prefer to see expanded by LLL? My vote would be Seven Years or maybe Memoirs.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Why do you assume either one of them was Williams, let alone both? 

Oh right, it wasn't necessarily two JW scores that made it through. Rats.

1975 The Eiger Sanction
1984 The River
1989 Born On The Fourth Of July
1989 Always
1992 Far And Away

I suppose we may see these titles steadily released over the next 2 years. and JFK. I suppose after The Towering inferno this may be next in the line because both these 2 titles were slated for a possible release a few years ago via LLL (as indicated by MV on FSM forum). But JFK kept getting postponed probably because the LLL team had other big titles in progress (CE3K, Superman, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park) and also because of the multiple studio licenses involved. So hoping for JFK now that The Towering Inferno is out.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Amer said:

Anyone noticed that THE RARE BREED is coming out on blu ray in a few months. Here is hoping that this reissue may help change Williams mind.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Rare-Breed-Blu-ray/257997/#

It's been out in Europe since 2017.

But yeah, this is the US premiere.

6 hours ago, Amer said:

Anyone noticed that THE RARE BREED is coming out on blu ray in a few months. Here is hoping that this reissue may help change Williams mind.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Rare-Breed-Blu-ray/257997/#

What are the chances of Mike getting an isolated score on there?

On 7/2/2014 at 4:38 PM, Jay said:

If I missed any films, let me know!

Jay, you have missed the following films:

Theatrical films:

1968 Sergeant Ryker [Universal]

1969 Daddy's Gone A-Hunting [Warner Bros.]

TV films:

1968 Heidi [Omnibus-Productions / NBC] (Quartet 2013)

1971 Jane Eyre [Omnibus Productions / NBC] (La-La Land 2012 release is not complete)

And if the information on Wikipedia is correct, Daddy-O is actually MGM film, not Sony.

Originally it was produced by American International Pictures, which is owned by MGM now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy-O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_International_Pictures