Ads on the home page

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen an ad on the JWFan home page ever.

Can you take a screen shot to show what you're talking about?

Are you talking about the URL4SHORT.INFO thing? If so, yeah, it has already been mentioned, but Ricard and co unfortunately didn't find a way to remove that.

Where has this been mentioned? We didn't even try to remove anything because we don't know what you're talking about!

Yes, they use supremely effective denture cleaning tablets; unlike us Brits who use celeb endorsed fragranced Lever Brothers bleaches.

I liked the Austrian way better.

I get the URL4SHORT.INFO often.

Dodgy as fuck. JWFan is well compromised!

I wouldn't say I get it often, but it does seem to happen occasionally when I come to the site through an outside link, like on Google.

Same here, if I click a link to JWFan from Google, many times I'll see the URL4SHORT page on the first try. Then I'll go back and click the link again, and it takes me to the correct page on JWFan.

At the time Andreas seemed most concerned about it and even seemed to suggest our posts (and counts) could be lost if he was unable to free the site from the malware hijack.

Seems odd actually that nothing has been mentioned about it ever since eve though the issue still persists.

There is perhaps some sort of extension installed on people's browsers (that seems to appear out of nowhere). Or something like that.

Karol

I used to use Firefox and would get the weird redirect but now I'm back Chrome, and I still get it. It's a non issue to me personally, but surely the webmasters here ought to be concerned about it? If it were my site, I would be.

I used to use Firefox and would get the weird redirect but now I'm back Chrome, and I still get it.

Check if you have any extensions installed in your Chrome settings. That should do it.

Karol

Yeah, it's definitely not an isolated thing.

Incidentally, this might not be the place for it, but has anyone else who uses Chrome noticed that it's been a bit weird lately? I don't know how to describe it in technobabble terms, but as an example, on this site, when I click the B button in the post editor thing to bold a certain bit of text, it will revert back to unbolded after a few seconds. The font menu will close after a few seconds as though I've clicked it a second time. All over the internet, any clickable thing that does those same sorts of functions has the same issue. Is it just me? I briefly opened Safari just to see if it happened there, but it seems limited to Chrome.

Even Andreas experienced it.

Never see a problem with my PC (test it with FF, IE)

:huh:

I assumed at first that it might be a local issue, as Andreas suggests, but after reading that many others here have seen the same problem, this seems very unlikely.

The problem is not always consistent, but if you would like to try and recreate it to see for yourself, try searching Google for posts/pages on JWFan and clicking on a few of the results.

Nah, am I the only one who remembers Andreas saying the site's security had been compromised by some sort of malicious software?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

• 8 months later...