J.K. Rowling Just Posted A New Harry Potter Short Story

Jay

Book 1 is set in the 91/92 school year through Book 7 set in the 97/98 school year.

This was known when Book 2 came out and Nearly Headless Nick's Death Day party was taking place on the 500th Anniversary of his death, which was Halloween 1492

Yep. Look at the gravestones of Potter's parents in Film 7.

Films productions make mistakes all the time, such as Breaking Bad referring to Osama Bin Laden's death when it shouldn't have happened yet in their timeline.

Wait, thats not possible.

The Millennium Bridge is featured in the 6th film.

It would not have been built then

The book names the Brockdale Bridge, which doesn't exist in real life. The movie did use the real Millennium Bridge to represent itself,which is an incongruity in real life, but at least it's recognizable. That's what they were going for over accuracy.

Yup Rowling made a few mistakes in the timeline as well, such as mentioning a Playstation before it would have existed. But they are just small mistakes. The story is set in the 90s.

Yeah, I think the 90s timeline was just because that's when she started writing it and the main conceit was that wizards secretly live parallel to us today. Also the first book was published in 1997 so you could imagine this was something that happened recently, but at the same time, the exact period isn't really that important since the wizarding world is so archaic. It's really the Muggle stuff that dates it, but aside from rare specific cultural references and dates on gravestones and things, she's pretty ambiguous. It'll probably continue to read as a contemporary story for awhile...theoretically, I feel like the story fits anytime after WWII (or whatever vaguely passes for modern England.)

And while the movies stuck to the books' timeline in terms of when they would show actual dates, they never went out of their way to make it look like the 90s. Especially whenever they show the Muggle world, I'm sure there are anachronisms in every movie if you bothered to look for them.

Oh yea. The characters all dress in 00s clothes and not 90s clothes, for example. They didn't bother to make sure to strictly adhere to every aspect of the 90s when showing the real world.

Right. Although even with the clothes, the stuff they wear has been around for awhile...jeans, hoodies, sweaters, T-shirts. Just not specifically 90s style.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So, they're pretty much just repackaging and selling all the stuff she's been posting on Pottermore for free?

I'm wary of her continuing the actual stories, especially with Cursed Child being a disappointment, but i don't really mind her putting out all her old notes and backstories. That was something she always said she would do and there was a big demand for it, though I kinda wish she had just made it a one-and-done encyclopedia like her original plan. I might have been more interested in skimming through this stuff but Pottermore is a nuisance.

Well, I've never once visited Pottermore, so it'll at least all be new to me.  My ignorance of Pottermore might also have something to do with me seeming to harbor less resentment/impatience toward Rowling than others?

• 3 years later...

The funny thing is, most people really don't give a fuck about shit like this, and just want to live their lives, but the social media generation gives a disproportionately loud voice to a mental minority. 

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Wait, what was cancelled?

JK has been cancelled because she’s been tweeting a lot of anti-Trans stuff which has rubbed people up the wrong way.

People have then been calling her out for some of the problematic stuff in the HP books. The only Asian character being called “Cho Chang”, only deciding Dumbledore was gay after all the books had been released etc

I believe she pointed out something biologically factual. That women menstruate. Of course, in this time of neurotic overreaction dissection and people slinging shit at one another, she's being called a bigot. Meanwhile, Mrs. Doubtfire's little girl and Deanna Troi are in a Tweeter war over the Native Americans. 

:eh:

Unless you're George Lucas and you keep making movies the way you want them to be and care fuckall what the nerds think while shining them on with endless Greedo changes even after you've sold the franchise for 4 billion dollars.

I think J.K. is kind of a bimbo but the reactions to her all Tweets are obviously absurd. Even Dumbledore being gay has been criticized by people who would have been all for it simply because it was revealed after the fact? Eh? If anything, it's secretly brilliant because it just goes to show how sexual preference is such a non-issue and it wouldn't have mattered.

Some of these people can't be reasoned with. It's like a bunch of SJW Twitter Terminators. Are they just bitter they're not getting more books or something?

55 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Ah, Fandom, the place where if you write one bad movie you're suddenly a bad writer and should be shamed and exiled in perpetuity.

I was just kidding, This is the problem with messageboards, people don't know when you're serious and when you're not.

I'm personally against cancel culture, it has done more harm than good. That said, the main flaws of Crimes of Grindelwald were Rowling's fault.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

JK has been cancelled because she’s been tweeting a lot of anti-Trans stuff which has rubbed people up the wrong way.

Was it really "anti-trans" or was she simply taking issue with the pedantic progrethive terminology like "people who menstrate"? I bet that would annoy any woman.

34 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Was it really "anti-trans" or was she simply taking issue with the pedantic progrethive terminology like "people who menstrate"? I bet that would annoy any woman.

It wouldn't. But ultimately her tweet was so unnecessary. Just like all her other ones. Cancel culture's the worst but man, I stopped listening to her a long time ago - HP's in the hands of the fandom now

The top comment on this Reddit post sums it up the best I think. It’s a pretty unbiased view of the situation.

Personally, I find her tweets about trans people eyeroll-worthy rather than egregiously offensive. But, then again, I’m not trans and have no idea what it’s like. I guess it might be hurtful for a trans person to see someone as influential as her tweeting stuff that can be perceived as attacking them. She does have a history of tweeting stuff that’s clumsily worded at best, and outright transphobic at worst. She did kind of suggest in a tweet than trans people weren’t oppressed, which to me is pretty ignorant.

That's the thing though, these weirdos are so neurotic and pedantic about the use of sexual language, they perceive even the most minute misspeak as a premeditated violent attack on their very essence and identity. They're mad bastards.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

People have then been calling her out for some of the problematic stuff in the HP books. The only Asian character being called “Cho Chang”, only deciding Dumbledore was gay after all the books had been released etc

Yep, and they're all reactionary outrage mongers who have taken ownership of a franchise that was never theirs. 

The simple fact is, fans, readers, viewers - whatever you want to call them - are attached to a piece of creative writing that they have fostered in their own minds and imaginations as belonging to them. We can all agree that's how we follow franchises, become invested in them etc. These twitter nuts, however, have claimed complete and total ownership of the series, discarding the author and her contributions and fitting a faux-progressive worldview on the writings retroactively as if Rowling was racist, transphophic, non-inclusive, anti-diverse etc.

The poison of this online outrage mob is that they feel as if they're owed something, that Rowling must bend to their will lest she face a pitchfork, torch-wielding mob. It's a violent fear fest of intimidation from those who claim to be progressive, left-leaning, inclusive etc. etc.

Creative writing has always been a representation of freedom to write whatever you want, however you want. Rowling can't pander to every single nuanced individual out there.

Imagine if she gave Cho Chang a western name and the outrage mob who would still be there to say Asian names deserve representation...

Star Wars, Star Trek and now Harry Potter are becoming ever more toxic for me to want to be associated with their fanbases.

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Star Wars, Star Trek and now Harry Potter are becoming ever more toxic for me to want to be associated with their fanbases.

Next they'll demand the John Williams-scored entries to be re-scored by some oppressed minority composer. To be streamed on HBO Max.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

To be fair, I think that’s a valid complaint, although I’m sure it’s just down to JK just simply not knowing much about Asian names, rather than any deliberate racism.

Also it's a world where "Harry Potter"s and "Dean Thomas"es coexist with "Horace Slughorn"s, "Severus Snape"s and "Bellatrix Lestrange"s. I don't see anyone outraging over nobody in England having those latter names. And Cho's not the only named Asian character, there's the Patil twins too.

5 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Next they'll demand the John Williams-scored entries to be re-scored by some oppressed minority composer. To be streamed on HBO Max.

Lorne Balfe, please!