J.K. Rowling Just Posted A New Harry Potter Short Story

Jay

Didn't realise Scottish film composers were underrepresented?

53 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Lorne Balfe, please!

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Also it's a world where "Harry Potter"s and "Dean Thomas"es coexist with "Horace Slughorn"s, "Severus Snape"s and "Bellatrix Lestrange"s. I don't see anyone outraging over nobody in England having those latter names.

Because there's no real racial connotations to them? You say those names to me, and it wouldn't tell me too much in regards to what the person's ethnicity is.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

And Cho's not the only named Asian character, there's the Patil twins too.

They're Indian, which admittedly I'm not sure if Patil or Parvati/Padma are particularly stereotypical in their culture.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

I think an Asian person pointed out that Cho Chang is meant to be of Chinese origin, but both those names are Korean surnames.

Cho's ethnicity is never mentioned in the books. 

Maybe the actress is of Chinese origin but that has nothing to do with Rowling. 

53 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Because there's no real racial connotations to them? You say those names to me, and it wouldn't tell me too much in regards to what the person's ethnicity is.

They're Indian, which admittedly I'm not sure if Patil or Parvati/Padma are particularly stereotypical in their culture.

So what you're saying is it's only racial if the character isn't Caucasian? 

Was Cho stereotypically asian either? Not in the books or films. 

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Alex What retconning? I think I said something a few pages back that none of her amendments and twitter trivia affect the story as written. Dumbledore's sexual orientation has little to no bearing on the story just as it should as one's sexuality doesn't necessarily have to define their character...

I think McGonagall’s appearance in Crimes of Grindelwald was an example of this. Her originally established DOB does not aline with the CoG timeline.

Also, Nagina being a cursed human, Credence being a Dumbledore, Voldemort and Bellatrix conceiving a child. Those things. 

The Dumbledore stuff is harmless, but also it could be argued it does affect the story as it supposedly affected his judgement when dealing with Grindelwald (they had a passionate physical relationship, apparently)

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Cho's ethnicity is never mentioned in the books. 

Maybe the actress is of Chinese origin but that has nothing to do with Rowling. 

That’s fair enough. It’s been a while since I read the books. Maybe the actor choice lead me to that conclusion. I would be interested to read what the casting call said.

On a personal note, as ginger, this is the first series I’ve ever felt truly represented. JK has broken down barriers for gingers across the world. We’re no longer the butt of everyone’s jokes, we’re now the comic relief, the humorous but dim side characters! 

I finally took the time to actually read what JKR tweeted and really don't understand the backlash at all. Any chance we could get some #politicalcorrectnessdoesn'tmatter riots?

34 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Honest to god folks protect yourself. There are literally careers and lives being ruined about what someone posted on the internet. You literally cannot be careful enough.

As if they'd find out your real identity here.

1 minute ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

As if they'd find out your real identity here.

Doxing mate! It's a real thing and happens now day in day out. There is little to no anonymity on the internet. Spend some time and you can find out the real identity of almost anyone on the internet.

The internet is NOT a private place in any shape or form.

9 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

They'd never know unless they hacked the website and found IP addresses, but even then it's unlikely.

They could so much less and still find out everything they need to. 

Might as well paint something on the side of your building as post on the internet these days. Same thing.

18 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

They could so much less and still find out everything they need to. 

Might as well paint something on the side of your building as post on the internet these days. Same thing.

Could you explain/elaborate how they would accomplish this through an anonymous profile alias on an obscure website about an elderly composer for background tunes from movies? And what would be the ROI from inflicting this sort of mayhem on essentially a regular guy, a nobody from the arse-end of the internet?

17 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Could you explain/elaborate how they would accomplish this through an anonymous profile alias on an obscure website about an elderly composer for background tunes from movies? And what would be the ROI from inflicting this sort of mayhem on essentially a regular guy, a nobody from the arse-end of the internet?

We have our slip-ups. You will not be targeted unless you said something that offended someone. 

But we all say more than we think. People sometimes post pictures and links or videos and the sort or mention real life incidents. All can be used to track identities. 

You might not be a target because you haven't said anything to offend anyone but there have been cases.

A redditor made a meme and posted it. Next thing, CNN exposed his identity, yes CNN and ruined his life with loss of employment and what not.

This place isn't really political, so nobody gets close to iffy topics but the bloodthirsty internet mob is lying in wait as a beast that needs to be placated. Cross them and life a ruined life forever.

3 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

We have our slip-ups. You will not be targeted unless you said something that offended someone. 

But we all say more than we think. People sometimes post pictures and links or videos and the sort or mention real life incidents. All can be used to track identities. 

You might not be a target because you haven't said anything to offend anyone but there have been cases.

A redditor made a meme and posted it. Next thing, CNN exposed his identity, yes CNN and ruined his life with loss of employment and what not.

This place isn't really political, so nobody gets close to iffy topics but the bloodthirsty internet mob is lying in wait as a beast that needs to be placated. Cross them and life a ruined life forever.

Ehhh you're just being paranoid. I've made the lefty lithp a meme and still no-one in tranny unicorn land gives a shit about me.

24 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

We have to be willing to allow people to learn from their mistakes and grow or no one will ever have motivation to want to be better people.

We have to be willing to allow people to say anything: yes, even transphobic stuff.

You're totally allowed to say transphobic stuff. You're allowed to say racist things; you're allowed to say antisemitic stuff.

Really, its allowed: Its called free speech.

3 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I really try to avoid when these threads tend to address this sort of stuff, but I'll just through in my two cents. For the hell of it.

In my view, the tweets are absolutely transphobic. Especially if you consider things she has said as recently as December or so, it's not hard to read between the lines and tell what it is that she means by what she's saying. Now of course, I say this as someone who is nowhere close to being trans and someone who doesn't fully understand being trans, but from what I know about it, from experiences with people close to me who are trans, I can understand why the tweets would be causing some backlash. I can also understand people jokingly pretending she doesn't exist, since she is more seriously pretending that trans people aren't real either. Again, this is based on my admittedly extremely limited experience and knowledge, that I am actively working to expand on.

JKR is also coming across as quite hypocritical considering the themes she writes about. She refuses to look past her preconceived notions about a topic and open her mind to other possibilities. 

All that being said. I don't think she should be "cancelled". We have to be willing to allow people to learn from their mistakes and grow or no one will ever have motivation to want to be better people. If you get cancelled regardless, they might as well continue being how they are.

It ain't a settled issue and to attribute malice to anyone for saying those things is irresponsible. The question very much remains open and the US supreme court hasn't ruled on it yet - I mean it terms of legality.

I would say have an open mind. I know people's lives are at stake but also realize the concept being proposed is radical and civilizations might take time to come to terms with it.

6 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I really try to avoid when these threads tend to address this sort of stuff, but I'll just through in my two cents. For the hell of it.

In my view, the tweets are absolutely transphobic. Especially if you consider things she has said as recently as December or so, it's not hard to read between the lines and tell what it is that she means by what she's saying. Now of course, I say this as someone who is nowhere close to being trans and someone who doesn't fully understand being trans, but from what I know about it, from experiences with people close to me who are trans, I can understand why the tweets would be causing some backlash. I can also understand people jokingly pretending she doesn't exist, since she is more seriously pretending that trans people aren't real either. Again, this is based on my admittedly extremely limited experience and knowledge, that I am actively working to expand on.

JKR is also coming across as quite hypocritical considering the themes she writes about. She refuses to look past her preconceived notions about a topic and open her mind to other possibilities. 

All that being said. I don't think she should be "cancelled". We have to be willing to allow people to learn from their mistakes and grow or no one will ever have motivation to want to be better people. If you get cancelled regardless, they might as well continue being how they are.

Where abouts in her posts does she say they don't exist? All I'm getting from them is her frustration towards the warped language of trans progrethive culture where sexual definitions become so broadened, they lose all meaning they had initially. Like, come on, a transwoman isn't really a woman, it's a bloke artificially manipulating his body to become woman-like – it just isn't the same thing. That doesn't mean she hates them or is afraid of them, as the "phobic" suffix would suggest. She simply doesn't like the appropriated lingo they use and how they're trying to mainstream it.

I will point out a quote from that same post:

Again, this is based on my admittedly extremely limited experience and knowledge, that I am actively working to expand on.

I have had a lot of discussion on these things with someone I know who is trans and my post mirrors what I have been told the feeling is from not just them but others as well.

That being said, I can not and will not attempt to explain in more detail things that I myself do not fully understand. It's not my place and I risk doing it poorly and inaccurately until I've educated myself more on the subject to be able to speak on it in more detail. A mindset that I feel like JKR could use a bit of, from what I understand.

I'm merely doing my best to support my friends and have said about as much as I know on the subject. 

For what it's worth, yesterday curiosity got the better of me and I tried to find out if trans women menstruate or not. I suppose it was madness to hope for a simple yes or no. All I found were lengthy emotional essays on dysphoria and twenty other words that make no sense to the uninitiated. So does anyone here know if they do? Just yes or no.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

For what it's worth, yesterday curiosity got the better of me and I tried to find out if trans women menstruate or not. I suppose it was madness to hope for a simple yes or no. All I found were lengthy emotional essays on dysphoria and twenty other words that make no sense to the uninitiated. So does anyone here know if they do? Just yes or no.

No

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I think it depends on where they are in transitioning, but the thing in question is that also applies to trans men (and nonbinary if you want to get technical) 

Basically instead of trying to focus on that, the article just said "people" and jkr went out of her way to say "uhhhh it's women" and now here we are

Edit: just to jump on the bandwagon on discrediting her after the series ended - people can take or leave the things she says, but I see no obligation to consider it canon that Cedric would have become a death eater and Voldemort had a daughter (cursed child) :huh: all of that will never impact my impression of the books though 

As far as I'm aware, and please point me in the right direction if this is wrong, the only people who menstruate are people who have ovaries or were at least born with female reproductive systems.    So the answer to @bollemanneke's question ("do trans women menstruate?")  is no.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Meanwhile, plenty of cisgender women do not, for one reason or another.  It's a stupid standard to bear.

What's stupid about it?  I could say the true, general statement, "People have hair."  Some people having alopecia does not make that statement untrue.

Granted that I haven't been following the Rowling drama (and I can't see the exact wording of the tweet as linked above on this computer because Twitter is blocked), but if her argument is that menstruation is what makes somebody a woman, she's not only leaving out trans women but also a very large contingent of cisgender women - post-menopausal, post hysterectomy/salpingo-oopherectomy, pre-pubescent, women on certain birth control, etc. 

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

if her argument is that menstruation is what makes somebody a woman

That's absolutely not her argument and it would be disingenuous to say so. Her argument is a complex one that needs to be thought through. 

On another note - https://theplaylist.net/eddie-redmayne-jk-rowling-trans-tweets-20200610/

Anyone else thing Rowling can be fired from the series as writer/producer. Though I dunno how you can be fired from something you create. But if opposition to her continues to rise, she might have to be fired.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

That's absolutely not her argument and it would be disingenuous to say so. Her argument is a complex one that needs to be thought through. 

That's too hard for these Twitter weirdos who take everything at face value, yet apply the most convoluted readings to spin it into something to go all spasticated about.

Rowling triples down. Hoo boy!

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

I think there has to be a fallout.

Did she just publish this or did she consult her PR or lawyer or what not. Maybe she is too big to cancel but she is tempting fate.

Well, I couldn't see the tweets, but I could read that post, and while I don't agree with the idea of piling on somebody on social media, lol JK and good luck!