J.K. Rowling Just Posted A New Harry Potter Short Story

Jay

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

So should I try this "Cormoran Strike" series?

If you enjoyed the Potters then you should enjoy these. Potter is basically a whodunnit at its core. The characters in Strike are great too. 

I’d say give the first one a go anyway. It’s an easy read. 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"The Tottenham"?

What's that got to do with Son, Kane, Ali, and the rest?

It’s a pub featured in the series. It changed its name in real life I believe. 

the titular character is an Arsenal fan

45 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

the titular character is an Arsenal fan

At least someone's got some sense.

32 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Whats your preferred pronouns is the new question when dating.

Really? Mine's usually "how much?"

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

At least someone's got some sense.

Really? Mine's usually "how much?"

Never pay for it.

The problem is this. Articles starting with a big headline stating that she is Transphobic and evil as an immutable fact with no regards of what she actually said. People only read headlines right?

https://kotaku.com/transphobic-creator-j-k-rowling-not-involved-in-new-ha-1845094502

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

The problem is this. Articles starting with a big headline stating that she is Transphobic and evil as an immutable fact with no regards of what she actually said. People only read headlines right?

https://kotaku.com/transphobic-creator-j-k-rowling-not-involved-in-new-ha-1845094502

I’m not surprised by Kotaku doing this but it’s still truly outrageous.   Reading the article and the comments, these people are so far into a fantasy model of reality that it has completely warped their understanding of people and the world.

I notice a lot of game reviews for the past year or so on Kotaku are tainted by the reviewer saying " I can't enjoy the game because some guy on the production team's  view on this or that social issue is opposite to mine"

16 minutes ago, King Mark said:

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m not surprised by Kotaku doing this but it’s still truly outrageous.   Reading the article and the comments, these people are so far into a fantasy model of reality that it has completely warped their understanding of people and the world.

Putting aside my earlier comment in another thread about "cancel culture", this is essentially a "news" article mixed with an op-ed written by a self-acknowledged...fanfiction novellist? How seriously is Kotaku taken? Frankly I still don't understand the whole matter with Rowling and transphobia--I need someone here thorough to dumb talk it to me 'cause damn it's a mess--but my initial reaction is that it's pretty unethical and unprofessional to be so aggressive, especially in a headline.

EDIT: I shouldn't have read the comments. :(

I dunno, sometimes it's " Game director who said mildly sexist comments in the presence of  female employees.." that become the headline  "Game director who sexually assaulted several female employee..." 

22 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

EDIT: I shouldn't have read the comments. 

Now i have to read the comments.

EDIT: yeah I shouldn't have scrolled further.

I'm favorable to a virus that kills only Twitter activists involved with cancel culture and entertainment "journalists" from sites like Kotaku that take great pleasure in destroying other people's lifes and careers. Poor Corona targets only elders and people with diseases, can't do the job of getting rid of all these idiots.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

sites like Kotaku that take great pleasure in destroying other people's lifes and careers. .

I used to like Kotaku, but lately all their articles and reviews are too infused with woke elements like trashing a remaster of a  10 year old game  because the character creation tool doesn't have enough skin color options . Like they   literally spend\t half the review on that point alone. Or if a new game doesn't have characters from every minority group it's the first thing they'll bring up to decide if the game is good or bad.  And if there ARE minority group characters, then there's something wrong with the way they're portrayed.

The more culture and society moves towards identity politics the more non-intersecting identities, each with their own set of ideals, beliefs etc. will collide, the repercussions of which have already eroded civil discourse. 

• 5 months later...

Voldemort himself is defending JK:

Ralph Fiennes Says J.K. Rowling Backlash Is ‘Disturbing’: ‘I Can’t Understand the Vitriol

Ralph Fiennes starred as Lord Voldemort in the "Harry Potter" film franchise.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/03/ralph-fiennes-defends-jk-rowling-hatred-disturbing-1234624445/

I can understand the heat of an argument, but I find this age of accusation and the need to condemn irrational. I find the level of hatred that people express about views that differ from theirs, and the violence of language towards others, disturbing.

Damn straight!

Ralph Fiennes' the man!

I think this is an appropriate time to discuss whether Voldemort has a penis and how he was able to conceive a child with Bellatrix Lestrange

21 hours ago, Alex said:

I think this is an appropriate time to discuss whether Voldemort has a penis and how he was able to conceive a child with Bellatrix Lestrange

Even Emperor Palpatine had children. 

I guess being an evil Dark Lord doesn't mean you can't have an active sexual life.