Do you rewind your favorite section over and over again, like a deranged maniac?

BLUMENKOHL

For the most part, no, I like to hear a track in its entirety, although I often will replay whole tracks on a loop.  Every now and then, though, I'll get in the mood to repeat one section of a piece over and over - these three probably get that treatment the most.

The fall from "Osgiliath Invaded"

The last minute and a half of "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan"

The middle section of "Davy Jones"

2:51-58. So Silver Age.

Wasn't that him quoting a 'classic' Trek fanfare or something? But I agree, great little bit.

5:52-6:17

I personally find that the least interesting part of the cue. I enjoy the Holst-lite stuff more.

To be even more specific with the Signs cue, it's the lower viola line from 7:09 to 7:10 (bars 39-40). Pretty unnoticeable unless you're looking at the score, but fuck. There's just something about it.

10544407_10153005297053098_2203539440259

• 3 weeks later...

2:51-58. So Silver Age.

Wasn't that him quoting a 'classic' Trek fanfare or something? But I agree, great little bit.

No, KK. That quote comes at 1:58.

For reference, here's a clip from that episode:

I think this is absolutely hilarious. Giacchino has a wonderful sense of humour.

Karol

It happens a lot when I put the same cue on repeat over and over. But the only time I recall doing this rewinding thing for a small passage of the same cue was, coincidentally, in How To Train Your Dragon 2. In my case I did it for "Drago's Coming" from 1:45-2:41 and not only did I listen to that passage SO many times during the same session, but I also began to sing along with the choir as I picked up the overall melody!

• 4 weeks later...

For me it's the buildup in Ode To Harrison in Star Trek Into Darkness. I usually repeat it about 4 times max.

Another time is in The Moisture Farm when the statement of the main theme enters

• 2 weeks later...

There's the one part in Godzilla that I love hearing when it's on. On the opening track, Desplat does something really cool with the strings that I'd never heard before at 1:21-1:25. It even appears when his credit in the movie does.

• 8 months later...

I keep doing this with the first 6 seconds of the Star Wars Main Title. The original Star Wars and The Phantom Menace seem to have the best renditions of this part. Empire's is the weakest of the film recordings.

• 3 weeks later...

I do this. Lately it's been—among other things—this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOD8zPTW2Tw

2:30-2:52. Can't get enough of that melody, and how Horner uses the running violin line accompaniment. Another instance is 4:38-4:59. Especially how Horner adds the flute at 4:49. He really was unparalleled in his orchestrations abilities.

I play my iPod through Winamp, then get to my favorite spot in a track and unplug the iPod. It repeats just enough of what I want to hear. Wonderful.

I keep doing it all the time. There are countless tracks with portions I re-listen about a hundred times. In the old days, I used to wear out cassette tapes due to too much rewinding. :P Now Winamp and Jetaudio have arrived as a boon.

I'm absolutely guilty of this habit and digital files make it so much easier for me to be precise about how far back I scrub in the track for that perfect musical moment. Lately, I've been really enjoying this Avengers track from 0:49 to 1:05, which I equate to the bridge in a pop song. (Someone correct me if I ever get my analogies wrong.)

https://youtu.be/8VGJGXMUhmc

The very best part is 0:55-0:56, where Silvestri writes two massive chords that resolve the first massive chord at 0:50-0:51 -- except that maybe it's not resolved, since it sound like there's a delicious key change at that point.

I wish I knew more about the way music works so I could explain why this part is just so awesome.

This thread reminds me of part of the 1983 movie Brainstorm (one of Horner's gem scores) where a member of research staff gets mischievous with the sensory recording device the film is based around. He lures a female member of staff into them using it during sex ("do it for science" he implores, something I've used to great effect myself) and much later another member of staff, the older shy single man stumbles across the tape and of course has a free sensory ride. Understandably he attempts to isolate his favourite part, the orgasm, and hacks up and loops that section of the tape in the assumption that the 'best bit' again and again on loop is the way to go.

Christopher Walken later finds aforementioned man at his home, lying in a recliner, white as a ghost, in a vegetative state, twitching with his eyes rolling back into his head and seemingly screwed up. As it happens, the man later does recover after hospitalisation and tells Walken that he now has a whole new outlook on life and is moving into new work but still the moral of the story is that too much of a good thing, isolated from wider context, is playing a dangerous game.