What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Please this looks like one of those anti-piracy films they used to show us before the movie starts. The one with the behind the scenes stage guy telling us his family was going to starve to death if we download movies

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everywhere. Wars, terrible as they are, have the tendency to make room for a clean slate. And that's no trendy cynism - nor do i wish for more war - only a sober examination of the current problems we have with a steadily growing world population that wants to live in western comfort. ##endofftopic##

Wars are a fairly inefficient form of population control.

The lack of deadly viruses or diseases like the plague, that used to sweep a continent every now and then and clear the population is a larger reason why we are now overpopulated.

Ebola looks promising, but I'm sure they will nip it in the bud.

It may sound more cynical then intended. But the big elephant in the room no one dares to talk about is that due to modern healthcare, better nutrition, the lack of plagues etc etc we are all living longer and one-day there will be far too many of us.

And lets be honest, the gene pool needs a little chloride.

The Inbetweeners 2 - the makers of recent meanderingly overlong, improv-heavy, more-fun-for-the-cast-and-crew-to-make-than-for-the-audience-to-watch American comedies could learn from this film - write a script that's consistently funny for its 96-minute runtime, then get the actors to stick to it. Job done.

It may sound more cynical then intended. But the big elephant in the room no one dares to talk about is that due to modern healthcare, better nutrition, the lack of plagues etc etc we are all living longer and one-day there will be far too many of us.

Actually, first world countries with proper birth control and not too extreme religious stances are overaging because the population decreases (at least if you don't count immigration).

They don't the audience to start pooping and weeing in their pants halfway through the picture. Dutch are very stubborn when it comescto that.

Karol

Guardians Of The Galaxy.

A good and often hilarious film reigned in by the customary Marvel template. Both this years Marvel outings, Captain America 2 and this one have the same action climax. A giant craft threatening epic destruction and our hero's trying to stop it.

That's a shame because when the movie steps outside the lines of it's bog standard plot a bit, it's really rather excellent. The 5 main characters work, which is weird because only Star-Lord has been given any kind of origin-story with some depth.

Chris Pratt is just right as the irreverent Peter Quill. Zaldana climbs another notch on the ladder of sci-fi goddess-ness, this time green rather then blue. Playing the Black Widow type kick-ass babe effectively. David Baurista shows clearly that he wasnt cast for his acting ability....he has none. But his impressive physique and voice make that irrelevant. Bradley Cooper does a lot of the heavy lifting in this film as the uber-cool raccoon Rocket. He's everything the trailers suggested and more. Not only is he irreverent (there's that word again) but the moments where he bocomes the reluctant hero, and his scenes with Groot...are genuinly moving.

Vin Diesel gets one lines in this film.....over and over again, but somehow earned his paycheck. The Orin Giant can also do the Tree Giant. The CGI, impressive as in any Marvel film was especially good in making these characters believable. Every scenes which featured thse characters just talking was great.

Sadly the villians are frankly.....dull.

Fellow sci-fi goddess Karen Gillan looks as good or better in blue as Nebula ad Zaldana does in Green. But the role is severely underwritten. The main baddie played by Lee Pace is dull, has typically villain motivations (genocide, mostly) and spends most of the film snarling and looking angry. Loki really is the only memorable Marvel villain so far.

The evil aliens that we saw in The Avengers show up. One of them is called Thanos and we are told he's something of a bastard, but it's barely more then a cameo. For a film with very witty heroes it's weird that the villains are so uninteresting. And the films isnt irreverent ( ;) ) enough to make fun of them being so dull.

The film looks good, very colorful with some effective set-design. Going back to the Star Wars idea of the "lived in" look of space.

Like Star Wars the film does a good job in making is feel the charcters are inhabiting a larger universe. But it's far less successful in explaining the details of it. Or making us care.

The lead baddie was gonna destroy a planet called Nova Prime. Ok...sure. I didn't really care. Why would I. The movie didn't give me a reason too. Maybe we are supposed to care because unlike every other location in the film is kinda looks clean and civilized, and the characters looked like Caucasian humans.

This has been called better then The Avengers. But I don't think it is. It didnt make me care so much what was going on when the lead characters weren't interacting with each other.

Tyler Bates'score is typical Marvel in that it does what it needs to do in the film. But one hour later and i've already forgotten it. There was a heroic theme, which sounded like an offshoot of The Avengers. But lacked that Silvestri touch. The only interesting musical moment Bates did was the fun synth work for the rather nice scene where Groot emits light thingies from himself. The many songs were good though, and well chosen. The second time Bates has been upstaged by pre-existing music in a superhero film (Watchmen)

Overall I liked it very much. I did what I expected from the early trailers. I would have liked it to be a little less like a typcal Marvel film though.

*** out of ****

I guess I must be the only one here who liked the wrestler over the racoon. I disagree that he had little acting talent, Steef. He had really good comic timing, I thought. His dry delivery was very funny to me.

Indeed. It was definitely well played to suit the character.

Also I'd put the CG work in Guardians above all the other Marvel films. Has a great look to it that really sets it apart.

What I mean to say, I guess it didnt quite came out right is that the role didnt require any real dramatic acting. I did like the character, how he took everything literally.

I like Groot....

Also I'd put the CG work in Guardians above all the other Marvel films. Has a great look to it that really sets it apart.

Every Marvel film has great CG work. This one is no different. But the way it's been filmed is a little more interesting. It wins on set design, make-up, cinematography rather then CGI

However, am I the only one who was losing attention during the big war battles with a gazillion flying objects? At that point I thought it was as boring as a Star Wars prequel. I'm much more in favor for scenes like 'Earl' and his whistle controlled arrow. Wasn't that great?!

Yeah. Maybe the teenagers think that is still exiting. But I kept wishing for more character scenes during the shootout stuff.

The thing I missed with Guardians is that it lacks drama and tension. Perhaps the emphasis is a bit too much on comedy. Like I said, it's fun but it hardly made a lasting impact on me. (OTOH, it's Marvel, of course)

The giant effects-heavy climactic battle in the sky was also very similar to the one of The Avengers.

Alex

Well, of course, there's the self-mockery but what also sets Guardians apart is its own colorful, interstellar hodgepodge universe. Now that Guardians is a big success, it won't take long before Hollywood will reboot Flash Gordon.

flashgordon_03_zps3b144513.png

You want giant sky battles?! I got giant sky battles! No problem!

Maybe the public's saying enough's enough. I had better things to do than go see it, the weather was rather nice. The rating argument means little to me, though I admit I saw none of The Expendables in the theater.

1) Ford's luck and charm has run out.

2) The characters don't have super powers

3) Teens don't wanna see old Hollywood stars

4) People still haven't forgiven Mel Gibson

Ford only has a small cameo compared to Mel and Arnie.

As for the bombing, I'm not surprised. There was a high quality pirate of the movie uploaded to the net before the movie came out, and a niche movie like this can't afford for that to happen. Then there's the tame violence and finally the creep of repetition, the latter of which is normally overlooked when the former isn't PG friendly. We were gonna go and see it, as we did the previous two, but after finding out the cartoon gore had been removed from the formula we changed our minds. Which is possibly what others did to.