What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see it at TIFF Grey?

No I didn't make it there this year... opposite coast now, more substantial trek. :(

You?

Ahh pity! I was planning on checking it out next Saturday actually.

A few weeks ago I saw Mistress America.

I'm a big fan of Frances Ha so it's nice to see Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig reteam for a similar film. Unfortunately a lot of the charm and wit was all given away in the trailer, but it's still an entertaining watch. The climax, which is just a lot of parallel arguments and character relationships reaching their limits as a bunch of people run around this big house, is really well done. Reminded me a lot of Renoir's The Rules Of The Game in how it all flowed seamlessly. Only disappointing in that it was almost exactly as I expected it to be, but good fun nonetheless.

Anybody seen Love and Mercy (the Brian Wilson biopic)? I thought this was really good, especially the segments showing the recording of Pet Sounds/"Good Vibrations"...quite authentic, refreshingly de-mythologizing portrayal of the artistic process and rehearsal. Really puts you in that studio. This is not a film that relies on slick montages and convenient inspiration, it's more patient than that. There's a great little one-take panoramic shot that lasts a minute or two showing the very kind of boring studio atmosphere with everyone waiting around while you see/hear Wilson in the background working with the cello players on "Good Vibrations". Paul Dano's always been pretty hit-and-miss for me but this is easily his best performance I think.

The 80s half of the film is a little less interesting, perhaps more typical biopic fare basically showing Wilson's mental decline, but John Cusack plays all that quite convincingly and Elizabeth Banks is really lovely as his second wife, she gets more of an active role than the usual "supportive love interest" stuff. Paul Giamatti's overbearing therapist character and the tension around him isn't written as convincingly as I would have liked, though, but it's still a film definitely worth seeing, especially if you're a Wilson/Beach Boys fan.

The Visit

Shyamalan has lost it -- the fact that he had complete control over this shows that he's a one-trick pony. I don't know where to begin -- the predictable twist and the two self-absorbed kids are a big factor. I'd rank this above The Last Airbender in terms of sheer awfulness and unintentional hilarity, and only Katherine Hahn escapes with her dignity intact.

One of the worst movies of 2015 to be sure.

The Visit

Shyamalan has lost it -- the fact that he had complete control over this shows that he's a one-trick pony. I don't know where to begin -- the predictable twist and the two self-absorbed kids are a big factor. I'd rank this above The Last Airbender in terms of sheer awfulness and unintentional hilarity, and only Katherine Hahn escapes with her dignity intact.

...isn't the hilarity intentional, though? Wasn't that the whole point, it was being advertised as a comedy-horror or whatever?

The Visit

...isn't the hilarity intentional, though? Wasn't that the whole point, it was being advertised as a comedy-horror or whatever?

It is intentional for most of the running time, but when the twist happens, the movie plummets. The 'scary' parts are laugh-out-loud funny and one scene had my jaw drop in disbelief -- not a good thing.

There's this nagging plot hole in the film that plays into the twist too. It completely undoes the whole film and makes Hahn's character a fucking idiot.

Excellent!

I worked at a movie theater from the summer of 1999 up until ~March of 2002. I saw just about every movie that came out during that time, it was great!

Of course you are!

I bet you even loved his Will Smith movie.

Haven't seen it, but I thought The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, and portions of The Village and Lady In The Water were all compelling. JNH helping significantly with those last two. Sure, The Happening and The Last Airbender are awful, but I feel like it's just an in-thing to talk shit about him. People love watching his movies just to trash them.

Sicario, Denis Villeneuve's latest. Very good film, with a moody and intimidating air to it that lends a certain menace to almost every frame, like something terrbly wrong is about to unfold at any given second. As we have come to expect from Villeneue. The film carries this through almost to this end, where it falters a bit.

It starts off sprawling in scope, and with each passing scene this scope narrows until the end where it converges into, in my opinion, a rather disappointing covert revenge plot.

There is a lot of suspense and intensity in this picture, and a standout setpiece is one where a US convoy ventures into enemy Mexican border, in broad daylight.

Hard to be a God

I'd be lying if I said I grasped everything that was going on, but nevertheless it is simply stunning and quite unlike anything I've ever seen. Beautifully shot and conceived, and mad as a box of frogs, with a mesmerizing performance from the lead. You just have to immerse yourself in the experience. Also, I can't remember the last time I saw so much bodily fluids and shit in one film.

Sicario, Denis Villeneuve's latest. Very good film, with a moody and intimidating air to it that lends a certain menace to almost every frame, like something terrbly wrong is about to unfold at any given second. As we have come to expect from Villeneue. The film carries this through almost to this end, where it falters a bit.

It starts off sprawling in scope, and with each passing scene this scope narrows until the end where it converges into, in my opinion, a rather disappointing covert revenge plot.

There is a lot of suspense and intensity in this picture, and a standout setpiece is one where a US convoy ventures into enemy Mexican border, in broad daylight.

Is it his best film yet?

I think that's still Prisoners. I'd rank

1. Prisoners

2. Sicario

3. Incendies

4. Enemy

DIdn't really like Enemy. That's all I've seen from him. I saw Incendies a few years ago though, so Incendies and Sicario could swap places.

From what I heard about it, I think you will love Sicario, Jason.

Avengers: Age Of Ultron:

Wow, I thought it was quite bad. Poor Joss Whedon, he really made a movie thinking only about a certain kind of audience, namely, the "more, more, MORE!" audience (At least, Hollywood seem to think there is such an audience). Everything had to be so big (like flying cities, blah, blah), that as a result, the movie crumbled under its own weight. It wasn't even funny, literally. I mean, almost every joke felt forced. What else ... Ensemble chemistry was completely non-existing, the flying monkey scenes are so old and tired ... The Age Of Ultron is almost as bad as The Incredible Hulk. During the movie I kept thinking how James Gunn made a much better Whedon-esque movie with Guardians that Whedon himself.

file_606866_elizabeth-olsen-scarlet-witc

The witch was kinda attractive though. (Scarlett was not, I'm sorry, Jay)

4/10

Alex

Excellent!

I worked at a movie theater from the summer of 1999 up until ~March of 2002. I saw just about every movie that came out during that time, it was great!

I've grown to loathe the theater I've been working at for 6 years. My co-workers were mostly great, some of the regular customers were nice... but the company tends to run theaters into the ground (unless it's projection or bathroom-related problems, it took forever for things to get fixed). Lousy management and corporate doesn't give raises. They're always looking to cut payroll even when it's busy to maximize profits. It got so annoying that unless there was a movie I had to see, I usually opted to wait for Redbox or TV airings. Some of the terrible movies I would catch during my breaks.

Next week, I will be working at an upscale movie theater that emphasizes customer experience. I'll be guaranteed a certain number of hours and better pay. The management is nicer and has their act together to boot.

I watched CInderella 2015 live action Kenneth Branagh version with the CGI waistline reduction. Uhh...in a word: soulless.

At least it's not inundated with CGI, just ten minutes of it. And it's beautifully rendered on 35mm.

I watched CInderella 2015 live action Kenneth Branagh version with the CGI waistline reduction. Uhh...in a word: soulless.

At least it's not inundated with CGI, just ten minutes of it. And it's beautifully rendered on 35mm.

The CGI is absolutely atrocious.