What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villeneuve has the most promising sense of direction and style for a Blade Runner film. The problem will be in the screenplay.

I doubt Alex really has any faith that a sequel to Blade Runner could in any way get close to the original. Regarding of who's directing, or filming.

Villeneuve, Deakins etc will take on that project with the best of intentions, give their all and fall short of their target anyway....

Yup. I don't expect much from that film, especially with Ridley's involvement.

His next project sounds more interesting.

So am I the only one on this board who's seen THE WALK?

I saw this tonight and I agree with your review! Sure, it's a little corny and doesn't go very far beyond its "follow your dreams" message...I think where the documentary really succeeded was in illustrating Petit's worldview and giving a much more nuanced sense of the man, where this only lightly touches on it, mostly in comic ways and the occasional accusations of "madness" from his accomplices.

So I wouldn't call it a great character study, but as a viewing experience, it's incredibly entertaining. Yes, the walk itself is indeed a great sequence and a perfect example of a movie living up to its own hype, but as you say this is a comic heist film at heart and despite a fairly predictable and often surface level approach to character and drama, it's a testament to Zemeckis' abilities, the appealing performances, and the often very funny dialogue how engaging it is from beginning to end. The editing and what seemed like nearly wall-to-wall score/soundtrack gave it real zip as well. I'd say it's easily Zemeckis's best since Cast Away, probably not a top fiver but surely one of his ten best movies. I'm actually pretty disappointed it wasn't a hit.

Also I found the film's treatment of the World Trade Center to be surprisingly moving throughout. For me this was the most successful part of the film on an emotional level...it's very much a post 9/11 movie without ever feeling exploitative or heavy-handed. It simply reveals its self-awareness through how Petit is so drawn toward these new, awe-inspiring buildings and in a strange way, that all carries real weight. Only in the coda does it play more obviously as a tribute, but the towers play such a poignant role in the narrative itself -- the way Petit views them as his partners in crime and art -- that I think the movie earns it.

I went because it actually did look like an interesting film to me. And parts of it are really outstanding. But its instantly forgettable once the lights go on.

Perhaps you should actually watch the film yourself before bashing my opinion of it?

I went because it actually did look like an interesting film to me. And parts of it are really outstanding. But its instantly forgettable once the lights go on.

I disagree. I think it lingers on you, that darkness that underlines every tense scene in the film. But maybe that's just me.

Yes, parts of it are really tense. Especially the brilliant convoy scene.

But by the time the film was drawing to a close that tension had already dissapated.

The "one night stand from hell" scene might have been the cause. Totally artificial in its setup and execution. It made me realize Sicario is just another thriller going for implausible thrills.

Huh? Bashing your opinion? What?!

With your suggestions that The Martian (another film you haven't seen) might be more for me.

That has nothing to do with bashing your opinion. You're seeing things!

The Martian is sci-fi and it might be better suited for a Trekker. Just picture Damon as a member of Starfleet and you have yourself a Star Trek movie.

It's not rubbish. The Martian wouldn't look so out of place in your movie collection. We of JWfan Pro can't say the same about Sicario.

You havent seen The Martian, Sicario or my movie collection.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about!

It's not rubbish. The Martian wouldn't look so out of place in your movie collection. We of JWfan Pro can't say the same about Sicario.

You havent seen The Martian, Sicario or my movie collection.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about!

I've seen your collection. If you don't believe me, take a pic so we can have another look. I dare you!

Alex - amused by the thought that people think you need to have seen the movie before you know what you are talking about

thumb_DeepSeaChallenge3D_ExclusiveClip_V

JAMES CAMERON'S DEEPSEA CHALLENGE 3D

I've been wanting to watch this ever since it was announced my favorite director would descend to the deepest point in the earth's ocean, the Mariana Trench, with a custom made sub. The film starts with an introduction of who JC is and what smalltime direct to video movies he has made, a bit later we learn about his passion for the ocean, his expedition phase, and what he gets out of those experiences (more than what Hollywood gives him, in his own words). We also meet his family and JC's passion seems to get the approval of his spouse / Titanic actress.

Half an hour into the film we get to see the construction of the sub, the meticulous preparation for such a dive and the vast team of experts and co-workers that want to make this expedition a complete success. We see the first problematic tests in very shallow dives, and the team having to re-adjust their expectations and deadline for the big drop. Soon after JC gets to entomb himself in his little technological coffin for increasingly deeper dives until the final one where he gently drops down to the ground just under 11 km from the surface. What we were hoping to encounter was a big no-show. No creatures whatsoever to be found, just flat dull ocean floor with zero interesting features. So in the end a bit of anti-climax but still, the film was interesting enough from a technological point of view, and the whole team effort is to be commended.

The film worked splendidly in 3D as well, shouldn't come as a surprise.

Bridge of Spies. It wasn't terrible, but overall it was uninteresting. It grabs your attention to a certain extent but never enough, and the plot has a distinct lack of curveballs thrown at the characters... everything gets accomplished with jarring ease. Before any tension is mounted and sustained, the task is already completed. This isn't one of those movies that will linger. At all.

Better than the Lincoln snoozefest though.

I loved a lot of the first half but thought it kinda lost its luster with the intro of the economics student. They failed to make much of that compelling. Some masterful staging and a couple knockout sequences as per usual with Spielberg. Disagree on the Lincoln comparison, I thought that was a much stronger film especially in regards to its screenplay.

Saw Steve Jobs yesterday which I thought was ridiculously entertaining, it's 2 hours but felt like it lasted about 45 minutes. Anybody who enjoys Aaron Sorkin dialogue will find themselves perfectly satisfied here. It's also a weirdly "tidy" and ultimately unsubstantial look at the man given all its structural ambition, mostly just a big ol' showcase for actors chewing up scenery and spitting out great and often hilarious one-liners ("God sent his only son on a suicide mission, but we like him anyway because he made trees!") with flashy Danny Boyle direction. Probably stay away if that's not your thing but for all its flaws I loved watching it.

Steve Jobs

It's a ridiculously entertaining film. Not a fan of Aaron Sorkin's writing, but the subject matter (a technological genius who's a complete prick) is a perfect fit. Danny Boyle's direction is solid, letting the actors take center stage. Michael Fassbender embodies the soul of Jobs, and Kate Winslet gives another stellar performance. I love how Boyle and Alwin Kuchler keep the film as cinematic as possible, especially the visual style. 16mm for the 1980s scenes, 35mm for the 1990s section, and crisp digital for the 2000s.

I just don't see this as an awards contender though. Entertaining, but I just don't see much awards attention.

Steve Jobs

It's a ridiculously entertaining film. Not a fan of Aaron Sorkin's writing, but the subject matter (a technological genius who's a complete prick) is a perfect fit. Danny Boyle's direction is solid, letting the actors take center stage. Michael Fassbender embodies the soul of Jobs, and Kate Winslet gives another stellar performance. I love how Boyle and Alwin Kuchler keep the film as cinematic as possible, especially the visual style. 16mm for the 1980s scenes, 35mm for the 1990s section, and crisp digital for the 2000s.

I just don't see this as an awards contender though. Entertaining, but I just don't see much awards attention.

Probably the kind of thing that gets nominations all over the place but never wins.

SPECTRE ... OK, so it's not Skyfall. To have expected that high-water mark again would've possibly been unrealistic, though.

I enjoyed it rather a lot regardless ... that early trailer was a red herring, because this is easily Craig's most 'traditional, Bond-least-personally-affected-by-the-narrative' 007 flick of his tenure. It's a bloody entertaining night at the movies, and is probably 2015's most entertaining action-adventure-thriller overall.

I waited to see 'James Bond Will Return' in the credits, and was still whistling the Bond theme on the way to get a taxi home. Which is fine (and enough) by me.

SPECTRE.... Now, that was disappointing. Fans of older films might rejoice that it references so many things from series' past... but it feels a bit too slapstick for the new Bond that was born in 2006. Almost like a parody. I can appreciate that Sam Mendes tried not to repeat himself. That's understandable. But the change of tone from previous three films is quite jarring. Especially if you're building a story that serves as a certain culmination. It just doesn't work. Daniel Craig is odd in the role of lighter, more humorous Bond. Overall, pretty straightforward formula-driven plot with few surprises and a lame villain. Quite boring, really, and way too long. The very opening was cool, though (well, the first shot). And I liked Thomas Newman's score for the most part. It feels, however, a bit over-spotted in certain sections and you can feel how it's trying to overcompensate for the lack of mood or tension on screen. The song itself is horrid.

I don't seem to be enjoying anything these days, am I? It worries me...

Karol