What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotten Tomatoes scores are NOT a rating!

93% simply means that 93% of critics "liked" the movie. They could have all given it a 6/10, and it would still be 93%!

It's not an average of the score they gave the film, just purely which side of the "like" or "did not like" coin they were on.

Yeah, but they need to decide when a review is positive or negative. Not that obvious. Plus, they call it a rating.

Karol

9/10 movie.

I don't like ratings like that. Both Sicario and The Martian are 93% movies on RT.

But hey, at least Spectre just dropped to 77% and it's only 44 reviews.

Not that it matters. Ratings mean nothing.

Karol

How should I rate a movie, oh crocs? And what has my style of rating to do with any of this?!

9/10 movie.

I don't like ratings like that. Both Sicario and The Martian are 93% movies on RT.

Karol

How should I rate a movie, oh crocs? And what has my style of rating to do with any of this?!

You shouldn't rate them. You should be able to form some sort of coherent sequence of thoughts and observations that actually means something. See different sides of it. Ratings make people lazy.

Besides, I doubt that Prisoners would be a 9/10 film if you compare it to the actual great films. See? It already doesn't make sense if you can even have one system for everything. But then, most films probably wouldn't go above 5/10.

And no, it has nothing to do with your style. Just my personal opinion on it.

Karol

9/10 movie.

Karol

You shouldn't rate them. You should be able to form some sort of coherent sequence of thoughts and observations that actually means something. See different sides of it. Ratings make people lazy.

Besides, I doubt that Prisoners would be a 9/10 film if you compare it to the actual great films. See? It already doesn't make sense if you can even have one system for everything. But then, most films probably wouldn't go above 5/10.

Karol

A 9/10 doesn't tell you anything about my feelings for a movie? You expect that we insert a long review of every movie we talked about during these last few posts?

9/10 movie.

Karol

Karol

A 9/10 doesn't tell you anything about my feelings for a movie? You expect a long review about every movie we talked about during these last few posts?

No, it doesn't tell me anything. What does it mean? That it's nearly a masterpiece destined to be an immortal classic? Because that's what it looks like.

I know why studios might need ratings. It's their business and box office gross and stuff. But why would I post a rating on a message board. I read what you type. Why offend me with a number at the end, as if I didn't read and/or understand what you meant? Pointless.

And yeah, I would appreciate you actually writing something about the film. If you are already bothering to post anything about it on a DISCUSSION forum. Why the hell wouldn't I expect that?

And, again, this is my own opinion.

Karol

I need a rating at the end of a review to quantify it and supploa context.

Thats why your Film On Wax scribblings are useless to me. USELESS!

Filmtracks must be a rating heaven for you then! ;)

Karol

Nobody expects elaborate reviews during these type of conversations, crocs. I could have said "I haven't seen Sicario but I thought Prisoners was really great." What's the difference? "Great" is just another way of rating something. '9/10' is my way of expressing that I thought a movie was great. BTW, I did say more than just a rating.

Nobody expects elaborate reviews during these type of conversations, crocs. I could have said "I haven't seen Sicario but I thought Prisoners was really great." What's the difference? "Great" is just another way of rating something. '9/10' is my way of expressing that I thought a movie was great.

Yeah, for me it's twenty six candy canes. Great conversation, this.

Karol

Nobody expects elaborate reviews during these type of conversations, crocs. I could have said "I haven't seen Sicario but I thought Prisoners was really great." What's the difference? "Great" is just another way of rating something. '9/10' is my way of expressing that I thought a movie was great.

Karol

?

You sound a bit like a fruitcake, crocs.

Karol

?

Exactly.

Karol

No, not without knowing the maximum number of candy canes.

No, you see. That would have been the same system that you're using then.

I just watch a film and think to myself: "Does it feel like x amount of candy canes?"

What is 10 in your system? What does it relate to? Best film you've ever seen? Your "feels"?

Karol

It's good that you realize it.

Why are your numbers good and my candy canes not? Don't they tell you how I feel?

In terms of ratings, numbers are a 10/10, candy canes are a 5/10.

What are rating's ratings?

Karol

What is 10 in your system? What does it relate to? Best film you've ever seen? Your "feels"?

It relates to my overall satisfaction, my personal enjoyment. If a B-movie entertains me, I'm inclined to rate it highly, even though it might be a bad movie.

It relates to my overall satisfaction, my personal enjoyment. If a B-movie entertains me, I'm inclined to rate it highly, even though it might be a bad movie.

OK, fair enough. Thank you for explaining this. I myself cannot relate to it, though.

Karol

Just like how Roger Ebert and I rate movies!

It's why I can rate a technically sound A-movie like Interstellar with a really low rating. It doesn't mean it's worse than the most terrible movie ever made.

Some people say it doesn't make sense because the acting or the FXs alone are fantastic. They don't realize I don't measure acting or FX.

It's why I can rate a technically sound A-movie like Interstellar with a really low rating. It doesn't mean it's worse than the most terrible movie ever made.

Some people say it doesn't make sense because the acting or the FXs alone are fantastic. They don't realize I don't measure acting or FX.

I can completely understand that. All I'm saying is that it would make more sense if you just said those things in your posts.

Karol

True. I like to be brief and to the point. You know, very generally cut down why a movie worked for me or not. I can't go on about summarizing the story, mentioning plot holes, acting, the quality of the effects, ...

By the way, I just read Jean-Michel Jarre saying he liked that one! Maybe he should score Blade Runner 2?

On 10/30/2015 at 6:22 AM, crocodile said:

You managed to redeem yourself, BloodBoal! Well done!

Karol

Bah! BloodBoal, you disappoint me. You've changed....you've become Stiff 2.0...

On 10/30/2015 at 6:55 AM, crocodile said:

Why is this guy so highly rated?

KK, can you speak for your countryman?

Karol

He has unnerving style. Prisoners showcases this in a less subtle way than Sicario did. But there's currently a wave of Quebecois directors growing that has a knack for getting to the psyche, and Villeneuve does this brilliantly. I think he's a master at building tension and drawing the audience in to the kind of world he builds, which he seems to do both visually and through characters.

His career is still young, but I think we can expect a lot from him. Let's hope Hollywood doesn't break him.

Oh, and everyone keeps talking about Blade Runner 2, but Villeneuve's next film is actually another "sci-fi" project, with Amy Adams I believe.

He's very different from Nolan. A lot more personal. He cites Michael Haneke as one of his influences, though I don't know if that turns you off or not Alex.