What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Star Wars : The Force Awakens - phew, it's not shit! Banishing memories of the shoddy prequels with a nice mix of nostalgia and the new, this is pretty much exactly what you'd want from a continuation of the SW saga.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How cool was

the Council Of Elrond bit?

The funny thing is that this is actually in the book, apparently, so it's not even a joke they came up with just because they had

Sean Bean

in the film.

It was in the book, but they added the Glorfindel bit.

And actually, the only other thing I didn't like was at the end

the rescue of him in space, and him needing to do his Iron man trick

Everything else was so grounded in reality, seemed so plausible.... then that part was just total science fiction. Well, just a minor quibble.

That bit was invented for the film, because they took out two major exciting sequences from the book's finale. Didn't make sense to me and really cheapened the ending.

Stars.

I'm just feeling slightly smug that my media blackout paid off in spades.

I didn't have a media blackout and I still went into TFA completely spoiler free. 4/5 sounds about right. There were plenty of things that annoyed me, especially during the middle part. But when it was good, it was really damn good.

Now I hope Amazon quickly ships my CD.

Jason, I just saw that last night actually!! Powerful stuff, with stellar performances from Brie Larson and David Tremblay (the kid). I think it's one of my favourites of the year.

Star Wars : The Force Awakens - phew, it's not shit! Banishing memories of the shoddy prequels with a nice mix of nostalgia and the new, this is pretty much exactly what you'd want from a continuation of the SW saga.

Not really, but OK.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Standard version

So after a 2 month self-imposed ban on watching further trailers, TV spots, etc, I finally got my chance to see it. Haven't seen a single thing movie-wise since the poster. No trailer since the 2nd teaser in May. 7pm first showing on day 1.

I'll probably write a more in-depth review later, but I just wanted to get this out really quick.

I can spend time writing about how it wasn't perfect, or they should have done this differently, or that, but the fact of the matter is that I had a blast. It was a really fun movie and I had a great time with it. The characters were engaging, the direction was solid, the music was fantastic, and it was fun!. It was so fun that I don't feel the need to nitpick.

I want to see it again in IMAX 3D now!

The score works in film in full effect. But that doesn't really change the faults of the score in the end, does it?

The friends I went with really respect John Williams and they were surprised by how there was nothing to take home from the music, which is something all the films in the past had.

Honestly, the score was all over the place. Seemed to just randomly quote old themes, sometimes old arrangements of themes, at times with little logic or consistency. Some old themes get repurposed definitions I didn't like at all.

Other than Rey's theme, nothing completely new is impressive or stands out in the film.

But I'll save that discussion for the proper threads.

In this general movie thread, I'll say most young kids will likely enjoy this alot, and its better made than a lot of other modern blockbusters. And its certainly better than the prequel films in every way. And the actors all did completely fine jobs, and the film was well cast with good set design and practical effects. There's also some great dialogue and comedy. But so much about the plot and pacing was really terrible. This is easily JJ Abrams' worst movie.

The saddest part? For me, there's now more bad Star Wars movies than good ones in the world. The original trilogy was great! The prequels all sucked. This was the tie breaker.

It lost.

But so much about the plot and pacing was really terrible. This is easily JJ Abrams' worst movie.

The saddest part? For me, there's now more bad Star Wars movies than good ones in the world. The original trilogy was great! The prequels all sucked. This was the tie breaker.

It lost.

this is pretty negative

The Force Awakens

The experience of watching it in a packed theatre with die-hard fans was unforgettable. However, the movie wasn't what I expected, partly for the good and the detriment of the film. Most of the new characters were great, especially Rey and Finn's repartee with each other. Kylo Ren was intimidating until the mask came off. The returning characters were a welcome sight (too much Han), but J.J. Abrams and co-writer Lawrence Kasdan lean too heavily on the original trilogy for inspiration.

Had Abrams taken more risks, a la Colin Trevorrow did with Jurassic World, this would've been better. Instead, he plays it too safe and recycle tropes from the OT. That said, I really enjoy large sections of it and it's a damn sight better than the PT IMO. Williams' score does the job, but doesn't really have the beautiful melodic kick the previous scores had.

I'll rewatch it tomorrow and see if it grows on me.

But so much about the plot and pacing was really terrible. This is easily JJ Abrams' worst movie.

It lost.

this is pretty negative

It's a good film. It's not perfect. But you'll have a fun time watching it.

JW was meh. Watchable but meh.

TFA is actually a blast, if you're willing to look past the flaws. And I don't think its too hard to do that, just because you already care about all these characters and the universe as a whole.

This works as a good SW reboot. The key to keeping the franchise alive is if the Rian Johnson really takes it in a different direction.

It's possible I'll enjoy it more if I see it again, overlooking the things that were disappointing to me and just trying to enjoy it as a summer popcorn movie.

I have a problem doing that with these kind of movies, and yet with this movie I was fine with it. It was just easier to look past the flaws and have fun. J.J. did a good job with that.

Jurassic World was awful and sadistic. I'd rather watch any of the prequels over that.

Yeesh. Give me the I-Rex and Bryce Dallas Howard running in heels over Hayden Christansen's wooden line readings and Jar-Jar Binks any day of the week.

The Force Awakens
It was great! Incredibly witty, and with some extremely potent dramatic moments. The only element of the film that disappointed me was the score, which was lacked many long-lined themes and was far too flighty in some areas, particularly at the end. J.J's fast pacing is probably to blame.

Other than that major disappointment, I absolutely loved it. I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in several years. I'll be seeing this one again soon!

Ultimately, the fast pacing was I guess the biggest problem for me. So many elements and ideas and relationships are just BREEZED by and we're on to the next thing.

Yes, the film kept moving from place to place. Much like Desolation of Smaug actually, but not nearly as bad, and a lot more engaging. It's probably why the score has so little room to breathe.

Jurassic World was awful and sadistic. I'd rather watch any of the prequels over that.

Yeesh. Give me the I-Rex and Bryce Dallas Howard running in heels over Hayden Christansen's wooden line readings and Jar-Jar Binks any day of the week.

At least the prequels are well-intentioned. JW, despite some good moments, just had ill-will towards its characters and audience. I point to the scenes with the pterodactyls and the assistant. Just brutal and unpleasant, delighting in misery and suffering, catering to the worst and most base desires in the blockbuster audience, and then trying to be a family film on top of all of it. Disgusting.

It was OK. We got 5 trailers - oddly, no Star Trek Beyond trailer!!

X-Men: Apocalypse - It's funny how Mystique has become a main character because Jennifer Lawrence is so popular right now. Film looks like it might be all over the place

Independence Day; Resurgence - Looks like a waste of effort. Should have only done it with Will Smith and Mae Whitman!

Batman V Superman - Trailer gives too much away. The trailer should have only focused on Lex pitting Batman against Superman. Revealing that Bat and Supes will team up, with Wonder Woman, to fight Doomsday, was just dumb. Makes me think the Supes/Bat drama will be over by the 1 hour mark of the final film. Also: I still feel like I have no feel for how Affleck will be as Wayne or Bats.

Captain America: Civil War - Seems like a good idea for a movie, and I love that they are bringing Bucky back and referencing them together from the 40s, etc. But it really feels like Avengers 2.5 even more seeing so many Avengers in action in this trailer. I hope they pull it off and it doesn't feel overstuffed. They should let it be 2.5 hours if it needs to be.

Hmm, actually I guess it was just 4 trailers. Was hoping to see Star Trek Beyond and The BFG on the big screen. Oh well.

At least the prequels are well-intentioned. JW, despite some good moments, just had ill-will towards its characters and audience. I point to the scenes with the pterodactyls and the assistant. Just brutal and unpleasant, delighting in misery and suffering, catering to the worst and most base desires in the blockbuster audience, and then trying to be a family film on top of all of it. Disgusting.

Why is that moment so controversial? I loved it!

Anyone get the utterly hilarious Zootopia trailer? Never heard of it, but it's basically just a scene from the movie, and it had everyone in stitches.

Oh that trailer's old, we talked about it before when it came out, then again when it was announced Giacchino was scoring it

EDIT: Wait, unless there's a new trailer out now?