What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

You watch so much shite, i don't see your point in avoiding this.

Maybe that's because I already know what to expect and I don't really want it?

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I remember No Country For Old Men was a truly nailbiting thriller that kind of petered out.

Yep. Suddenly people start to stare and philosophise. I watched it twice to see if I could love the last part too but it was to no avail. I know lots of people think it's the most interesting part of the movie.  

They probably wanted to avoid the cliché final showdown. The used the same method for Fargo S2.  (But S1 is really good and S2 was good until the finale ;))

Doubt they were involved at all, aside from an executive producer credit. But Hawley and team absolutely nailed the Coens' tone, style and language. It oozes Coens, better than they do these days!

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I just think they didn't quite figure out how to end it.

Well, they tore up the rule book at the time didn't they when the main protagonist was suddenly taken out of the equation and with plenty of time still left in the storyline. Standard viewers found it jarring and were left wondering how to feel about it. They didn't appreciate that. Some though thought it was pretty daring and honest. It actually delivered on the premise for a change. 

The terrific momentum certainly does die down there, it's true. Which is were the old men monologues become the focus. Wasn't that the point though? I suppose you either accept it you don't. 

Not really. They used almost everything from the book yes, but a lot of it was drawn out, repositioned or changed in some way. Plus those movies have a lot of stuff invented by the writers.

It is in NO way a faithful adaptation of the book.

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Not really. They used almost everything from the book yes, but a lot of it was drawn out, repositioned or changed in some way. Plus those movies have a lot of stuff invented by the writers.

It is in NO way a faithful adaptation of the book.

Heh heh

15 hours ago, publicist said:

I was only surprised how good the notices for films like 'A Serious Man' or this Oscar-Isaac movie were - films that i really didn't like in the least.

15 hours ago, Quintus said:

A Serious Man was disappointing shite, I remember it well. 

You're both ill, that movie was brilliant.

At the time I remember having a two page argument with Alexcremers about it and how he was telling me it was likely myself at fault for simply not "getting it" (his old favorite) and that it probably had nothing to do with the Coens or the movie itself being the problem since it'd reviewed strongly (probably amongst Jewish critics) and he thought it looked very good so it surely was (he hadn't seen it). It was a really pointless hypothetical exercise actually, it's the way it used to be and I don't miss that crap. Anyway, he eventually made a point of seeing it and he didn't enjoy the movie. 

It's was that brand of grease though which used to make the cogs of JWFan and GD go around. Thankfully we have Star Wars and Indiana Jones to keep things ticking over again. 

What? That's standard practice. 

I just tried to dig it up, but of course the absolutely wank search engine here reckons there's no such movie in existence. It's almost as if it laughs at you when you attempt to use it. 

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I wonder if it's a film Jews or at least people who know a lot about the Jewish culture get to enjoy more than others. It seems like there are a lot of "in-jokes" (so to speak), and if you don't get them, well, there's not much to latch onto.

That could be it. I couldn't relate to anything. A movie about Jewish in-jokes ... say, how brilliant!

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The search engine doesn't work. It never has.

I finally works for me.

I don't understand the "it's because it's Jewish" complaint; A Serious Man just isn't a very funny film. Jewish in-jokes were never an issue for me. Woody Allen has demonstrated it aptly in many movies and Curb Your Enthusiasm may as well be called The Jewish Curse: The Series.  It's frequently hilarious, and Jewish. 

Nah, it's no excuse. A Serious Man was just boring. 

It appears to be a real divisive film. I've heard a lot of people call it dull and tedious, yet a few others told me that i MUST watch it. That it is special in a way that it spoke to them profoundly.

None of them Jewish iirc.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (spoiler free review)

Nowhere near as bad as the critics have been leveling it. The film does address the criticism leveled at Man of Steel in a clever way, by having Batman angry at the chaos and destruction caused in Metropolis to Wayne Tower and the loss of employees and friends. Ben Affleck is a terrific Batman, hell, the guy is even scarier than Bale's at times. Henry Cavill gives in another reliable performance as Superman, and Gal Gadot makes for an alluring and beautiful Wonder Woman (in the several scenes she had in the film). Jesse Eisenberg is both great and irritating as Lex Luthor, and the bouncy Sherlock-esque piano theme is bombastic and irritating. Amy Adams and Diane Lane don't have much to do except spout dialogue and be captured by the bad guys.

The production values are impeccable and I was really enjoying the first hour of the film. In the last half, the amount of action and CGI puts Avengers: Age of Ultron to shame (not a good thing); if anything, Snyder and Chris Terrio should've held back instead of trying to do several things at once. The Justice League foreshadowing is a bit clumsy, especially with the Flash. On the other hand I admire the scope Snyder is aiming for, even if he doesn't succeed all the time.

Zimmer and Junkie XL's score plays far better in the film. With the improved sound quality, Junkie XL's Batman theme is actually not that bad -- a tad more memorable than Zimmer's, but still not impressed with the electric cello motif for Wonder Woman. (And as I mentioned earlier, Lex's theme is annoyingly bombastic.) Zimmer pulls off some beautiful music near the end, which is a nice touch. Just wish they had done more

That beautiful music near the end... gah, Zimmer didn't pull that off!  Look at me, of all people, against all odds, wishing credit on a Zimmer score would be given where it's due!  :lol:

42 minutes ago, Drax said:

As opposed to the scenes she wasn't in the film?

Well, I enjoyed most of the scenes without her, but she was the cherry on top. She caught my eye the first scene in BvS, and she conveys Diana / Wonder Woman well just through her expressions and body language.

I guess it's better wanting more of Wonder Woman rather than too much... she's got a solo film for that.

High-Rise - if you've ever thought that apartment blocks are microcosms of societal structure ready to tip over into utter anarchy if a few things started to go wrong, Ben Wheatley's adaptation of JG Ballard's novel will confirm that thought. 

A hypnotically bonkers flick. 

18 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I guess you kinda did need to see Man of Steel to understand exactly wtf was happening, but I have even less desire to do so now.

Not really. You don't have to see Man of Steel to get the full story.

If you want to see the movie, go ahead! The movie is faring much better with audiences than the critics, so you might enjoy it.

10 Cloverfield Lane - I enjoyed this a helluva lot. A sort-of sequel that's 2 parts claustrophobic suspense thriller and 1 part sci-fi, with excellent performances by John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.  

Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Well, that was pleasantly surprising. Hardly perfect and pretty rough in places, but a much-needed improvement over its predecessor. I don't understand how this fared so badly with the critics...

Heck, maybe I'll go and see it in theatres anyway. Wait, I can't see it in theatres, I hate their new projection system. Damnit! They really need to offer these new movies simultaneously for home streaming and for the same price as a ticket.