What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

30 minutes ago, Hurmm said:

Off the top of my head, [REC] comes to mind, especially the last 10 minutes which are possibly the most scared I've ever been at a movie. 

Is that a "found footage" movie?  I won't watch those.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hurmm said:

The Witch is conspicuously missing from this list. 

I'm surprised that I've seen quite a number from here, though I would count half of what's here as horror.

I don't often see people recommending The House of the Devil, which is a deliciously spooky slow burn.  

Off the top of my head, [REC] comes to mind, especially the last 10 minutes which are possibly the most scared I've ever been at a movie. 

I left "The Witch" off because, I didn't really care for it. I understood what it was trying to do, and the creep factor was there..... but it just didn't win me over. 

They are all, except for the obvious documentary and horror/comedy, in the horror category. Even 10 Cloverfield Lane is considered horror, when it is more thriller/sci fi. 

I loved The House of the Devil. He nailed the 1980 look and feel of a slasher film, which made me very nostalgic. And I would agree with you about [REC] but the request was for recent horror films.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Is that a "found footage" movie?  I won't watch those.

It can be considered found footage, but out of the ones we have gotten lately, it was very well done and exceptionaly creepy in parts.

51 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

(Y)

The Invitation was one of my favorite films last year! 

58 minutes ago, Johnnyecks said:

I left "The Witch" off because, I didn't really care for it.

Me either. I just couldn't wait for it to end. I bought it on blu-ray based on all the hype and praise and lamented that I'd wasted my money.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

REC the foreign language original or the remake? I saw one of them, but I forget which. It was pretty good.

I've saved a copy of your list to my phone, it's useful to have 👍

I didn't see the remake, so my opinion is based off of the orig.

I'll update this list as I see em. Maybe make my own thread.

1 hour ago, Sally Spectra said:

Me either. I just couldn't wait for it to end. I bought it on blu-ray based on all the hype and praise and lamented that I'd wasted my money.

Yup. I did exactally the same thing. I missed it in the theater and pre-ordered it on iTunes. So there it sits, mocking me, for eternity, Or until we lose the electric grid, then it'll be gone for eternity.

Annabelle: Creation

It's very atmospheric and plenty of jump scares, and a phenomenally better film than the hideous predecessor. The child actors were pretty good, although the film wastes Miranda Otto to being a bedside plot device. And for a $15 million film, it looks like it cost more.

Not a film I would revisit though.

16 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

At the moment, it's not very much upcoming, is it?

According to IMDb, it's scheduled to be released sometime between 2018-2020.

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What if I'm into any movie that takes place in colonial America (far fewer than you'd think!).  Is The Witch good as a period representation of colonial life?

Oh man, if that's what you're interested in then you'll have to see it, the whole thing feels incredibly authentic. The writer/director is actually a production designer and serious colonial America junkie, it's a big part of the reason he made it because he was so interested in that period, their lifestyle and belief systems and that's what the film centers around thematically. He went to great lengths in his research and it shows.

You'd probably enjoy his commentary even more which is very informative, and he even honestly points out and explains/corrects the minor compromises due to budget and location logistics and things. One of the more critical commentaries I've ever heard actually, sometimes he comes across a bit anal but it paid off!

Plus it's just a damn good movie. I'm not much for horror either but it really struck me as more of a disturbing psychological mood piece. Very effective slow burn, the creepiest bits emphasize dark surreal imagery over gore or jump scares (in fact often obscuring things in evocative lighting), and character-centered with economic writing and stark, often subtle performances. Aesthetically kinda felt to me like he was going for Bergman by way of David Lynch and it's not a bad try at all. Obviously those are lofty comparisons, but it definitely takes itself seriously so your mileage may vary on how successful that is.

19 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

According to IMDb, it's scheduled to be released sometime between 2018-2020.

IMDB is like a Wikipedia for films. Virtually anyone can edit it, so I wouldn't trust it.

Plus, you can already rule out 2018 and 2019 as release dates: development on a sequel hasn't even started yet, and even if they were to start soon, I would assume it would take more than 2 years to complete a 3D animation film such as this one.

Sully

movieposter.jpg

A competently made film that has good acting by its two leads and a functional script.  That about sums up what is a great story but not necessarily a great movie.  Good, certainly, just not enough there to elevate it.

I love that movie.  The movie's vibe is very reflective of its protagonist.  Eastwood does his job very well, calmly with no frills and the highest degree of professionalism.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I love that movie. 

It's that Tom Hanks effect! You can't help it!

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

A competently made film that has good acting by its two leads and a functional script.  That about sums up what is a great story but not necessarily a great movie.  Good, certainly, just not enough there to elevate it.

I agree.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's that Tom Hanks effect! You can't help it!

I agree.

Tell that to Larry Crowne.  God that movie sucked.  I also hate all the Dan Brown movies.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Any love for Charlie Wilson's War?

Pretty good movie with some very well scripted scenes, which is not surprising with Sorkin.  Great acting, loved Hoffman in it.

American Made - the (allegedly) true story of Barry Seal, a commercial pilot recruited by the CIA in the late 70s to take surveillance pics of the Commie insurgents in South America who also gets recruited by Escobar's cartel to smuggle coke back to the US. And then things get even madder ... 

Very entertaining flick. Good to see Cruise still doing 'character' parts in amongst the action-man stuff. 

Logan Lucky - heist caper with Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Katie Holmes, Seth Macfarlane and Daniel Craig (having more fun than he's ever been allowed to have as Bond).

A bit overlong 'n' leisurely, but still quite amusing.   

On 26.8.2017 at 0:47 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

American Made - the (allegedly) true story of Barry Seal, a commercial pilot recruited by the CIA in the late 70s to take surveillance pics of the Commie insurgents in South America who also gets recruited by Escobar's cartel to smuggle coke back to the US. And then things get even madder ... 

Very entertaining flick. Good to see Cruise still doing 'character' parts in amongst the action-man stuff. 

Trailer looked beyond awful. A Bruckheimer version of 'Narcos'.

Wind River

4/5

Part artful police procedural/thriller, part drama about dealing with grief and trauma, part social consciousness film about the plight of poverty/drug-stricken Native American reservations.  I really liked it.  Some of the scenes play out a little cliched, but the actors sell it and the atmosphere of desolate, wintry Wyoming is magnetic.  Renner and Olsen are both pretty good, I really liked the old fat guy who played the Reservation sheriff.  The actor who plays Jacqueline's dad in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has a heartbreaking role that he plays...heartbreakingly?  It gets very intense towards the end.

From the writer of Sicario and Hell or High Water, which are both also excellent, Taylor Sheridan is really on a roll here.

It's the kind of movie most here would say is fit best for TV, but I think is exactly the kind I best seen on the big screen.  Cinema adds power and scope to even smaller stories.

Interstellar - 8.5 / 10

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Fan, I think you'll find that that's LOGAN LUCKY :)

Yes I know, I wrote a review for a site, and I kept getting the names mixed-up, guess that just happens when you use a title that "rolls" on the tongue. 

28 minutes ago, Orgasm[+]Donor. said:

51HS3OfRkkL._SY445_.jpg 

A fine movie, very well done, a bit pale though in terms of colors but Cruise is really good in it. John Williams didnt came up with his best score...

It's one of my favorite Williams scores, certainly of this century.  Great kinetic, percussive action, somber emotional melodies, interesting orchestrations.  It's a rich, fascinating work.

Wind River is my #1 most anticipated movie of the year! Supposedly Taylor Sheridan wrote it, Sicario, and Hell or High Water in the span of 6 months! 

22 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

By an CSI - NCIS actor.

And?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Wind River is my #1 most anticipated movie of the year! Supposedly Taylor Sheridan wrote it, Sicario, and Hell or High Water in the span of 6 months! 

Wind River is not as good as either of those, and I don't think it will meet your expectations.  But it is very good.

Sounds like traditional Cave and Ellis. The Proposition and Far From Men both utilize vocals in a really unique way. Technically a lot of their scores probably feature original "songs," but their placement within the musical narrative and how integral the vocals are to the melodies themselves make them an exception for me. The Mars title is awesome  

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

And?

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

It might explain why I wasn't taken with Sicario ...

Alex

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

8/10

Solid film. Great acting, especially on Garfield and Weaving's part. Really the only issue I had with it was the over-the-top violence at times; some scenes felt extremely out of place, like they belonged in a horror flick, rather than a faith-based war movie. Overall, I liked it. Not a highly rewatchable film, but a good one-time movie experience, and perhaps Mr. Gibson's cinematic redemption.

Get Out - Finally got around to this after all the huge hype. It's actually fairly straight-forward as far as horror films go, with only little bits of comedy sprinkled throughout. The last act I definitely didn't see coming. Great film. 8.5 / 10