What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, publicist said:

I saw that but beyond Oldman it didn't seem to possess much that lifted it above standard 'well-made' biopic fare, cf The Imitation Game.

I generally agree with this. It's a well made bio pic, but what elevates it is Oldman.

This is opposed to Churchill, which is not a well made film, and Cox's strong portrayal isn't enough to save it.

I feel no inclination to look it up but i hope it isn't nominated for an AA (not Oldman, the movie).

Also saw 'The Florida Project' (good, and i like Miami) and 'Detroit' (good, of course not nominated).

credit-20th_century_fox.jpg

The Post

At times, pretty watchable with a dash of Spielberg suave, at others, laughably on-the-nose. Williams score is barely noticeable until the end, when it starts roaring to the sounds of clicking typewriters and machinery. The score is fine enough, if unremarkable, until the epilogue, where both Spielberg and Williams toss out whatever subtlety they had going for them with a hilarious Nixon/Watergate tease, staged like a post-credits scene for a Marvel flick. Overall, the cast does most of the heavy-lifting. For those keeping count, Bridge of Spies is far superior.

On 24/01/2018 at 1:07 PM, Richard said:

#ianmcneiceforchurchill

K.B.O., Doctor. Keep buggering on!

Met him at a convention, asked him was he surprised that 'Keep Buggering On' and the cigar-smoking had made it into Doctor Who what with it being an early-evening family show. He said that no opposition to the inclusion of either had been encountered as far as he knew, and that it's impossible to have Churchill without the cigar-smoking anyway.   

Jason Bourne (2016)

image.png

Full disclosure.  I love Bourne movies.  Fucking love them.  I can watch them endlessly at any time or occasion.  I was worried when this newer film arrived and, after a near-decade gap, got mostly negative, poor, or otherwise tepid reviews.  I didn't want to see it, and as such, I left it on the figurative shelf over the last year or so.  Well, I can certainly see why it might be considered poor with respect to the initial trilogy, since each one was solid, and in my opinion, masterful, on their own, and enhanced when taken into context of the larger tapestry.  The main problem is that this entry doesn't add anything new; the Bourne/Webb story is cooked, but they make an effort to reinvest your attention by adding a sliver more, but it's barely a story.  It's a framework made to compensate space for tense chases and action scenes.  If you look at it honestly, it's largely a retread of past ideas and doesn't even try to reset the table and begin a new story arc.  It's a missed opportunity to jumpstart a new trilogy.

Even in the face of all of that, you know what, fuck it, it's fun.  It's still nice entertainment, and undeserving of the mediocre reaction it received.

10 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Jason Bourne (2016)

image.png

Full disclosure.  I love Bourne movies.  Fucking love them.  I can watch them endlessly at any time or occasion.  I was worried when this newer film arrived and, after a near-decade gap, got mostly negative, poor, or otherwise tepid reviews.  I didn't want to see it, and as such, I left it on the figurative shelf over the last year or so.  Well, I can certainly see why it might be considered poor with respect to the initial trilogy, since each one was solid, and in my opinion, masterful, on their own, and enhanced when taken into context of the larger tapestry.  The main problem is that this entry doesn't add anything new; the Bourne/Webb story is cooked, but they make an effort to reinvest your attention by adding a sliver more, but it's barely a story.  It's a framework made to compensate space for tense chases and action scenes.  If you look at it honestly, it's largely a retread of past ideas and doesn't even try to reset the table and begin a new story arc.  It's a missed opportunity to jumpstart a new trilogy.

Even in the face of all of that, you know what, fuck it, it's fun.  It's still nice entertainment, and undeserving of the mediocre reaction it received.

I liked how Greengrass etc talked about how they wanted to update Bourne for the modern post-Assange/Snowden world and all they do is basically namedrop Snowden once or twice. 

The early chase scene in Greece is well done though. Greengrass's deliberatly chaotic camerawork and editing actually helps convey the feeling of "Europe' on the brink of collapse.

Sadly by the time the movie came out the crisis in Greece was already over and Bourne's attempt to be a film about what's going on the the world RIGHT NOW felt a bit silly.

It's a rather silly film actually. Like in the other 2 Greengrass Bourne films, the lead character never smiles, has an absolutely minimal amount of dialogue and doesnt really interact with anybody, and if he does it's usually followed by killing that person in brutal, yet bloodless PG13 violence. Matt Damon actually seems rather miscast in this. Doesnt Greengrass know that Damon is actually quite a good, charismatic actor? I liked Bourne in the first film. What happened to him?

Technically it's all extremely competent, but it's feels like a film where no one really had anything at stake. even Powell's score is 100% autopilot.

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That would be great! Sorta like Harrison Ford and Sean Connery together in one movie!

16 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Or like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford in the same movie!

Whoa! Ford and Connery and Crawford and

Davis, in the same movie?!

I'd buy that, for a dollar! :)

THREE-BILLBOARDS-OUTSIDE-EBBING-MISSOURI

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

Sharp, witty and nicely shot to boot. Good stuff. I'm glad its getting the awards attention, because it stands above the more average entries this year. McDormand is fantastic, and I would not be upset if she took home the gold. The rest of the cast is quite good as well. I'd like to visit some of Martin McDonagh's other work.

Blade Runner 2049

MV5BMjE3MjY3MTkzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTE0

I don't know if it's because of the characters, the tone, the dialog, ... but I didn't really like all that much, even though a lot of images are still running through my head today. And why did they insist on using that blasting tuba sound during the city/spinner shots? 

On 1/24/2018 at 9:16 PM, publicist said:

It's the best movie of the year.

See, now I'm really curious, this coming from you! Could you elaborate? Thor gave a pretty thorough breakdown about why he liked the movie in another thread.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Blade Runner 2049

MV5BMjE3MjY3MTkzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTE0

I don't know if it's because of the characters, the tone, the dialog, ... but I didn't really like all that much, even though a lot of images are still running through my head today. And why did they insist on using that blasting tuba sound during the city/spinner shots? 

Were the characters not likeable enough, Alex?

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

See, now I'm really curious, this coming from you! Could you elaborate? Thor gave a pretty thorough breakdown about why he liked the movie in another thread.

It was a joke.

Well, someone had to fill Disco Stu's shoes. Where is the noble essay on the latest from America's standing man?

Split (2016)

image.png

The thing I truly missed about Shyamalan before he went off the deep end was his ability to create tension out of thin air and sustain it; his ability to hold your attention and make you uncomfortable though silence, pacing, or through subtle camera movements, he really was a gifted filmmaker who became a stupid storyteller.

Well, this is the first film of his that I've seen since The Last Airbender (and that was mostly because I was an extra).  Now, I have not seen The Visit, do not plan on seeing After Earth, and with an utterly perplexing salaam but sarcastic bow to the puzzling The Happening, I suppose I can declare this most recent movie a return to form.  It's a bit longer than it needs to be, but it's an effective thriller with a terrific performance by McAvoy that keeps you glued.