What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Doctor Sleep. I almost fell asleep watching it yesterday. They should have stayed away from Kubrick references altogether. It only makes this incredibly dull movie even more embarrassing.

MV5BYmY3NGJlYTItYmQ4OS00ZTEwLWIzODItMjMz

Karol

Was there anything you liked about the film? Were the performances good?

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

The score is shite, that much i can tell.

In the film it's mostly heartbeat with occasional callbacks to the music from Kubrick's film. I wonder whether they paid Penderecki.

Karol

I really wonder why none of these modern director, save for Paul Thomas Andersen, has an affinity for music that actually helps telling their movie. I recently saw the rather dreadful 'Phantom Thread' and the Greenwood score was one of the few things i dug about it.

49 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Sad, I was interested on the movie, and I really like the director, he created one of the best series I watched last year (Haunting on the Hill House).

Maybe crocs thinks that was bad too. Don't give up just yet!

2 hours ago, John said:

Probably but there are so many movies with good performances. Don't you want something more?

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

MV5BOGZhMWFhMTAtNGM3Ni00MTdhLTg3NmMtMDVi

I expected this to be a 7/10 movie at least, but it ended up being a 6/10. It looks good, all the ingredients are there, and yet it's not that involving or fascinating. You know a movie has issues when costumes and battle scenes are the best part. 

the-king-final-trailer-timothee-chalamet

It's a dull chore to sit through. Only Edgerton and Pattinson bring some life into it. It's all one monotonous history lesson.

I did enjoy The King quite a bit. It's not exactly gripping, but the performances were great and the Battle of Angincourt was shot in a way I quite hadn't seen before.

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Probably but there are so many movies with good performances. Don't you want something more?

Yes but I’m asking about this movie in particular. 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:34 PM, John said:

Oh sorry I never answered that. The performances are mostly fine although Rebecca Ferguson's character felt bit laughable to me. She was great in the M:I films but she makes for a really corny villain (both here and that kid King Arthur film from earlier this year). There are some good ideas in there (small things like single images or scenes) but the thing as a whole just didn't work for me. The world that King creates in his books (none of which I like) is very "literal" and down to earth whereas The Shining by Stanley Kubrick is a highly stylised and surreal film that expresses its ideas purely by visuals and sound design. When you put the latter into the former it just doesn't feel quite right. If you have that highly visceral nightmarish ghosts from the 1980 described as "creatures that are this and this and are after so and so" it just makes it really jarring and robs them of any power. You don't need elaborate mythology of the world and explanatory exposition to make it frightening. In fact that sort of makes it all really flat and sort of like a fan flick. I loved the ambiguity in films and Doctor Sleep absolutely kills any sign of that.

Another thing is that I'm not really a horror person. I'm quite anxious in real life and don't particularly enjoy watching people die in horrible ways on screen. Having said that, I have found myself falling asleep watching this. I might have actually missed some of it, can't be too sure. I wasn't tired going in, it was mid-day as well. But there simply was no tension to keep me interested. And it all looks like a cheap Netflix film too with very dull colour palette. And there are some really awful TV-like CG visual effects in this. And it is also mercilessly long.

As I said above, I never enjoyed anything from Stephen King much (with very few exceptions). But it seems his books are popular for some reason and they speak to a lot of people. So I bet a lot of people will disagree with me. And that's ok. But with this film is getting such a strong response and The Lion King remake earning $1.7 billion dollars I don't think there is much hope for mainstream cinema. Low-budget films like Midsommar are probably as good as popular films get, from the filmmaking perspective.

Was it the most horrible thing I've ever seen? No, of course not. It was just desperately average and unremarkable.

Karol

The Lighthouse

It's such a fascinating and hypnotic film. You're really drawn into the deteriorating mindsets of Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe's characters... and you're not sure whether part of the movie is real or not. Director Robert Eggers really creates a starkly beautiful and ominous 1890s New England, highlighted by the sumptuous lensing by Jarin Blaschke. The mental breakdowns feel more palpable and realistic compared to something like Joker.

This has to be seen on the big screen... it won't have that same impact if you wait till streaming or Blu-ray.

The Good Liar - nicely twisty drama/thriller, headlined by those class acts Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren. When lifelong con-man Roy meets wealthy widow Lily online, he fully intends to 'fleece' her. But things aren't quite that simple ...

Well you're a better man than I then, because I the only way I would've known that -

Spoiler

Mirren's actions were motivated by revenge for his rape of her and betrayal of her family when they were both teenagers in Germany during the war   

- would've been if I'd read the book beforehand. 

6 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Well you're a better man than I then, because I the only way I would've known that -

Hide contents

Mirren's actions were motivated by revenge for his rape of her and betrayal of her family when they were both teenagers in Germany during the war   

- would've been if I'd read the book beforehand. 

Spoiler

I didn't predict that actually. That part of the script felt really overwrought. But the basic twist I saw from a mile. The title betrays it. Plus you don't Mirren and have her play a victim. That won't play.

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Karol

She's definitely a victim, in THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY.

Le Mans '66 - a touch overlong, but still an entertaining (the race sequences pack real punch) account of the real-life rivalry between Ford and Ferrari as they prepare to compete in the famous titular 24 hour endurance race. With Christian Bale, Matt Damon and Josh Lucas.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Le Mans '66 - a touch overlong, but still an entertaining (the race sequences pack real punch) account of the real-life rivalry between Ford and Ferrari as they prepare to compete in the famous titular 24 hour endurance race. With Christian Bale, Matt Damon and Josh Lucas.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

It's only called that in the US, I think. I'm about to watch it in an hour actually.

Karol

Let us know how it ends...this time, tomorrow :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary

A very entertaining and thorough coverage of the development, filming, post-production, release and the film's cult status over the past 20 years. Everyone involved with Galaxy Quest gets interviewed, as well as a few ST actors and filmmakers (like Damon Lindeof and Greg Berlanti) gushing about the movie. Some very funny and touching remembrances of the late Alan Rickman too. There's a definite Trekkies vibe throughout the film too.

A must for fans of the movie. Even if you're not a fan of the movie, you'll likely see it in a different light after this.

The Irishman, at the theatre. It took me quite a while to get into it, mainly because I'm mostly blank on its real life backstory, and sitting in a semi-comfortable cinema chair for 3.5 hours after a longish day at work and with already hurting legs didn't help. But once it finally got going it was engaging enough. Some terrific editing in the first half especially.

De Niro was De Niro, but that's not a bad thing, and his phone conversation late in the film was excellent. Pacino wonderously switched between typical Pacinoism and (at least for me) non-typical acting, often mid-sentence. Pesci however was sublime, and I'd be glad to see him getting a string of awards for his reluctant un-retirement.

Also, am I the only one who got a strong 2001 - A Space Odyssey vibe near the end? The shot of De Niro knocking over the pill bottle, followed by a cut to a view through the door seemed straight out of that I thought.

54 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Pesci however was sublime, and I'd be glad to see him getting a string of awards for his reluctant un-retirement.

That performance was so... not typical for a collaboration of Scorsese and Pesci, right?:)

5da5cbf9cc4a0a30be653cc7?width=1100&form

The Irishman

Saw this in the cinema last night. Scorsese's sunset years portrait to the mobster genre is poignant stuff. It's a slow burn in its first act, but the 3.5 hours mostly flies by. Amidst three great performances , Pesci is the real gem here, who delivers an uncharacteristically un-Pesci performance. The final act was also a real highlight, with Scorsese exploring mortality and regret in ways his past mobster classics haven't afforded him. There's a reason this guy's still a pro.

4 hours ago, KK said:

Scorsese's sunset years portrait to the mobster genre is poignant stuff. [...]Scorsese exploring mortality and regret in ways his past mobster classics haven't afforded him.

I wonder if it this film will kill off the crime drama genre for good.

Caught a late night showing of Knives Out last night and it was brilliant. The cast and acting are all top-knotch, with engaging performances from start to finish. Johnson's eye for detail is on full display in this film, just like with The Last Jedi, everything's framed and staged in a way which enhances the story and looks good while doing it.

My only complaint is that I wanted more! I wanted it to go on for another three hours! 

I can't praise this film enough!

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why would you think that?

Because its a sort of elegy for the genre as a whole.

I mean, look at what Unforgiven did to the Western.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I mean, look at what Unforgiven did to the Western.

We had this discussion already. It did nothing to the Western. It didn't kill it, it didn't revive it, it didn't change it.

12 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I wonder if it this film will kill off the crime drama genre for good.

All genres are in danger. The movie only got made thanks to Netflix. 

On 11/29/2019 at 5:18 PM, Alexcremers said:

Is it only for people who love a whodunit?

I guess it wouldn't hurt for non-initiates, you know, but it does have some of the familiar elements of the genre which aren't new to those who are familiar with them.

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

Knives Out. Silly but really entertaining.

Karol

What was silly about it? It's definitely more jovial and lighthearted, but I took that as being more charming than silly.