What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Parasite kinda reminded me of those folk theater bedroom farces where the secret lover always ends up hiding in the closet of the bedroom. It's not really my kind of humor. And just like Snowpiercer, somewhere along the line, it becomes a different movie. In Snowpiercer, it changed from drama to burlesque. In Parasite, it changed from being burlesque to drama. 

To be fair though, Snowpiercer had a pretty strong undercurrent of droll humor from the beginning.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snowpiercer was awful. 

Dave and I saw Jumanji. Its enjoyable fluff.  Weird only  the 3rd movie I have seen since September. 

I will see Star Wars Thursday and Sunday

I will have seen 8 of the 9 real Star Wars films opening day. ROTS is the exception.  What a dreadful film that was. 

Ftr real Star Wars films have JW as the composer. 

Rogue 1 like ROTS was dreadful. Solo was not. 

The 2017 Jumanji movie is pretty funny, and refreshingly small scale. Even though it was PG-13, it had a PG "spirit".

Like Forbes' Scott Mendelson once said, the huge success of movies like Harry Potter, Spider-Man, Pirates of the Caribbean and The Lord of the Rings on the turn of the millenium essentially "killed" the PG live action movie, as big Hollywood studios saw they could get more money for larger-than-life fantasy movies, with lots of special effects, that were funny to everyone, from kids, teens and adults. Hence the later success of the MCU, which appeals to the broadest public as possible (and I like Marvel).

Since then, there were no more one of those PG adventure movies that used to be popular with (and starred by) kids on the 80s and 90s, such as The Goonies, Back to the Future, Home Alone, the first Jumanji, etc. Welcome to the Jungle was a refreshing change to this smaller scale of adventure, funny and with no epic stakes (nothing like "half of the universe will be erased from existence", "the Wizarding World will be ruled by an immortal fascist witch dictator" or "Sauron will annihilate the free people of Middle Earth"). 

It managed to be nostalgic, while also being its own thing, without essentially remaking the 1995 James Horner-scored movie. 

The only thing that could've been better is the Henry Jackman score, which was mostly forgettable and had a pretty bad main theme. I remember reading JNH was supposed to score the movie (Jake Kasdan, director of WTTJ, is the son of Lawrence Kasdan, who had collaborated with JNH on several movies), dunno why this didn't happened. 

Marriage story.

I really liked it at first and was mostly surprised that it took me two Star Wars movies and this one to realise that Adam Driver sounds a bit weird, but God, did I feel for him, he was so good. Scarlett Johansson isn’t bad, but certainly not great, and I just don’t understand what the lesson is: that divorce lawyers are cruel and too expensive to bother with, that kids can be a bind or that marriage will eventually come down to what their marriage was like? And why did Driver sing that song? Weird.

The score is very nice and surprisingly light-hearted.

Knives Out (2019)

Man, what a great film. Perhaps I haven't seen enough media, but it really felt particularly distinct in its presentation. From the central character to how the mystery ultimately unfolds. I got great satisfaction once it came to the final frame of the movie. I don't hate TLJ, but I will admit that it definitely didn't do Johnson any favors in terms of how he usually presents himself. It'd be really hard if you didn't find at least aspects of it to be very likable.

2 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Knives Out (2019)

Man, what a great film. Perhaps I haven't seen enough media, but it really felt particularly distinct in its presentation. From the central character to how the mystery ultimately unfolds. I got great satisfaction once it came to the final frame of the movie. I don't hate TLJ, but I will admit that it definitely didn't do Johnson any favors in terms of how he usually presents himself. It'd be really hard if you didn't find at least aspects of it to be very likable.

I think I'll watch this movie next, after Star Wars I feel like I need something deliberate and intimate.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Ah, the power of The Last Jedi. Soon every JWFaner will have seen Knives Out.

Actually no. This film seems to be successful mainly based to excellent word to mouth.

People who did not care for TLJ at all recommend Knives Out to me.

You won't like it Alex. Its too well liked by both critics and the public for you to enjoy it.

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

This film seems to be successful mainly based to excellent word to mouth.

Which is normally not a reason for you to see a movie. 

It’s got its redeeming qualities, to be sure: the actors do fine in their roles, the effects are well-rendered and it’s decently photographed, intermittently funny and the action is well choreographed.

Everything else in it ranges from the subpar to the morally bankrupt.

25 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Is this the first Disney Star Wars that you don't love, Steef?

Does that mean it's a movie for me?

I did not care for Rogue One, Solo was nothing great.

I haven't been reading this thread so I don't know what's been said, but I saw Knives Out a few nights ago and I loved it.  It was really well acted and written.

On 12/29/2019 at 3:37 AM, Þekþiþm said:

Anyone else seen Cats?

Well, I've spent my whole saturday afternoon helping my brother find his cat, which had ran away on the previous night. And there was a lot of cats on the neighbourhood - and I mean A LOT. Lots of dogs as well. Thankfully, none of them were terrifying like the characters on this movie, and my brother's cat eventually showed up by 2 a.m.

Also, I've watched The Two Popes on Shitflix this weekend. Great performances by Hopkins and Pryce and an interesting script that sells the ideological and theological debate by Benedict XVI and Francis, while also giving these two powerful man some humanity and charisma. 

That said, it pains me to say, but the weakest part of the movie was the direction, by my fellow Brazilian Fernando Meirelles. His very energic camera movements draw to much attention for themselves, and I think the story deserved a more quiet, intimist look.

Anyway, it's a good movie, but I'm not sure it would be that interesting for people who aren't Catholics, or interested on the inner works of the Catholic Church.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

His very energic camera movements draw to much attention for themselves ...

Probably to compensate for the two old men. When the drummer is also the singer, the other band members have to be more energetic as well.

Bombshell. Pretty good. Charlize Theron was almost unrecognizable in a beautiful way.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Probably to compensate for the two old men. When the drummer is also the singer, the other band members have to be more energetic as well.

It didn't worked that well on the movie, unfortunately.

The film is a pretty intimate look on the two Popes, the men behind the job of being the head of the Church, the heir to Saint Peter and leading the Christianity to the XXI century. And instead, there is some weird camera angles and movements that draw too much attention for itself. 

On the plus side, I liked how Meirelles managed to extract some humour for the contrasts between Ratzinger and Bergoglio. And there's a Malick-like sequence on the middle that's beautifully shot.

@Edmilson I'm going to see The Two Popes tonight at a privately-owned small town theatre, which has thankfully been leading the way in my city for Indie films and Netflix screenings. Looking forward as it looks well done as far as I can tell. I'll let you know what I think. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

If someone edits all the CGI fuck-ups together into a blooper reel, I'll watch that. 

From what I understand you might just end up watching the whole movie! :lol:

Bombshell

It's good but just scratches the surface of the Fox News Ailes scandal. Charlize Theron is unrecognizable as Megyn Kelly, which is unsettling, but she gives the character nuance and depth. John Lithgow is a wonderfully creepy Roger Ailes. Nicole Kidman is less prominent as Gretchen Carlson, but she does well here. I do think people overlook Margot Robbie's strong turn as composite character Kayla (she looks like Tomi Lahren here). Director Jay Roach and writer Charles Randolph definitely did their research into the Fox News world and even though some things are dramatized, FN is not a pleasant channel to work for (let alone leave).

The thing is, the people who really should see this (conservatives) will dismiss this as a "liberal Hollywood hit piece". It's pretty nuanced. Megyn is not villified or turned into a good guy, but a woman hardened by her experiences and willingness to push forward. Nor does it say that everything's wrapped up and the Me Too movement has wound down. 

Image result for the two popes

The Two Popes

Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce are an absolute joy to watch together as Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis, delivering very fine and balanced performances while playing off of each other effectively. With a witty, mostly fictionalized screenplay by Anthony McCarten (whom I recall from Darkest Hour), The Two Popes is surprisingly very entertaining, although not infallible. Yes, at times the flair of the photography can be in poor taste, and when Hopkins and Pryce do not grace the screen the interest wanes. One might've wished that McCarten would've delved deeper into some of the headlining issues surrounding the Church, but he rightly keeps the focus on the development of the relationship between the two papal figures instead of trailing off into darker waters. That being said, the film doesn't avoid these topics altogether, and is very careful in that respect. The depictions of Popes Benedict and Francis are not necessarily shallow, but they do lean towards the basic illustrations we receive from the general media of the two. I will be returning to Bryce Dessner's score, which sparked enough interest as I heard it in the film to warrant a future listen. 

4 / 5

Image result for marriage story noah baumbach

Marriage Story

Scarlett Johansson is phenomenal and Adam Driver is at a career high. Driver in particular left me speechless at several points; he's definitely this year's best actor. Director Noah Baumbach hits everything so right, it isn't even necessary to have much knowledge of the divorce process and the immense pain it causes for all parties to be so very deeply moved. In hindsight it was an absolute firing squad of emotion lifted by unreal performances coming from all directions. Johansson is so good, it seems so natural and effortless in the best of ways. And another item of note is Laura Dern, who kills it as a tenacious attorney. Driver, of course, delivers such a fine performance (the two scenes that really hit me were quite obvious- the climactic argument and his performance of Sondheim's Being Alive at the restaurant). Randy Newman's score is lovely, and the film is very well shot and edited. With a cast this good and a story this impactful, Marriage Story is simply one of the best films of the year.

5 / 5

10 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

From what I understand you might just end up watching the whole movie! :lol:

Loving that shot where Judi Dench's not-disguised-in-any-way hand is clearly visible.