What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Didn't we agree that awards are only about politics?

In that case, 1917 with its predominantly white male cast (none of whom seem to be playing homosexuals/gender-confused characters) fighting a war probably doesn't stand a chance :lol: .  

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

In that case, 1917 with its predominantly white male cast (none of whom seem to be playing homosexuals/gender-confused characters) fighting a war probably doesn't stand a chance :lol: .  

Also, the main characters were probably born in Europe in the 1890s, so they probably still have the misconceptions about gender, sexual orientation and toxic masculinity that later, more enlighted generations like us Millenials don't have, thanks to social media, Twitter hashtags and cancel culture.

So yeah, 0 Oscars for 1917 ;)

13 minutes ago, KK said:

Best Picture is between 1917 and Once Upon a Time. With Parasite being a possible upset.

I think if Once Upon a Time had a chance it would have run away with the SAG Ensemble award. The fact Parasite won that makes me think it’s actually in 2nd.

12 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

You are talking about political correctness, I'm talking about politics. 

64D63A75-ADC3-4974-B5D7-6815CD91EBEA.jpeg

An utterly captivating war film that packs an emotional wallop I didn’t see coming. Great performances from the leads, a solid score from Thomas Newman, and superb direction from Mendes. Deakins knocks it out of the park once again; the cinematography doesn’t feel gimmicky but actually adds to the immersion of the film, making you feel like you’re really there with these characters. It’s a gorgeous looking film. 

Couldn’t recommend this enough, I really loved it. 

Completely agree - I loved it.

Coincidentally I just watched Dunkirk on Netflix and I haven't been so bored watching such an acclaimed film in some time. Zimmer's/Balfe's score just drones on in the background, ugh. I usually like Nolan's films, but this is a load of rubbish I'm afraid.

Also, Zimmer's 'modernisation' of Nimrod at the end is really out of place. 

Regarding best picture, I'd have thought Joker was the front-runner there, as critics seem to be falling over themselves to praise most elements of it.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Completely agree - I loved it.

Coincidentally I just watched Dunkirk on Netflix and I haven't been so bored watching such an acclaimed film in some time. Zimmer's/Balfe's score just drones on in the background, ugh. I usually like Nolan's films, but this is a load of rubbish I'm afraid.

Also, Zimmer's 'modernisation' of Nimrod at the end is really out of place. 

Regarding best picture, I'd have thought Joker was the front-runner there, as critics seem to be falling over themselves to praise most elements of it.

Someone else who doesn't enjoy Dunkirk all that much, thank god. I really liked 1917 though. 

Joker has had a lot of pushback - most critics that I've seen are hoping it doesn't win. 

Things I watched in the past month:

Jojo Rabbit

The Gentleman

Spies in Disguise

Bombshell

Just Mercy

Richard Jewell

The Private Lie of David Copperfield

Bad Boys For Life

Queen & Slim

Weathering With You

The Rhythm Section

The Lighthouse

One of these is very good (The Lighthouse), five are good (Jojo, Bombshell, 1917, Richard Jewell, Weathering With You), six are okay (The Gentleman, Spies in Disguise, Just Mercy, Bad Boys For Life, The Private Life of David Copperfield, Queen & Slim) and one of them was pretty bad (The Rhythm Section).

And tonight watching A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

Karol

Richard Jewell - typically solid Clint Eastwood movie about the titular security guard who discovered a bomb planted at a celebatory '96 Olympics event in Atlanta and was initially hailed as a hero, but then he came under intense scrutiny as the chief suspect. With Paul Walter Hauser, Kathy Bates, Sam Rockwell, Jon Hamm and Olivia Wilde.

Went on a Prime binge over the weekend and watched:

Early Man - kind of fun, but not Nick Park's best. Disappointingly HGW's score made little impressiion outside of a few scenes.

The Dyatlov Incident - starts out well, but has one of the worst endings I've ever seen for a found footage-type film.

The Snow Walker - a Dances With Wolves-esque drama from the late 00s. The two leads are really good and the photography is nice. Mychael Danna's score actually got a tad distracting for me at times - I'm not sure the full-blooded orchestral approach was right for the whole movie.

Plus a load of found footage movies that ranged from good to downright awful (I love this genre, and accept that some are terrible to find the good ones).

Oh I almost forgot. Watched The Lighthouse last week. It was really good but not as involving as The Witch (or The VVitch, as @Koray Savas prefers it ;)). It's not a terribly complicated film and feels almost as if Bergman directed The Shining. Bit dry but very beautifully made.

Karol

The Witch is the more disciplined psychological drama. But The Lighthouse is more of a phantasmagoria of "playtime" for Eggers, Dafoe and Pattinson. It's a real treat for the senses.

14 hours ago, crocodile said:

Oh I almost forgot. Watched The Lighthouse last week. It was really good but not as involving as The Witch (or The VVitch, as @Koray Savas prefers it ;)). It's not a terribly complicated film and feels almost as if Bergman directed The Shining. Bit dry but very beautifully made.

Karol

The VVitch( agree with Koray on spelling) is pure shit. Such a waste of money and talent not to mention the audience time. I suppose it appeals to the same crowd that Blair Witch does. 

The Lighthouse has a bit of a draw for me. I have 4 days off after tomorrow. I may redbox binge

It Follows > Midsommar > Us = A Quiet Place > The VVitch > Hereditazzzzzz 

But neither of them hold a candle to The Babadook, probably the most terrifying and disturbing horror movie I've ever watched.

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Midsommar = The VVitch > Hereditary > It Follows > A Quiet Place >>>>>>> Us

Fixed!

I've been meaning to watch The Babadook, but a friend told me it's overrated and even kind of silly.

15 minutes ago, KK said:

I've been meaning to watch The Babadook, but a friend told me it's overrated and even kind of silly.

I guess some of the impact may be lost these days, since the title monster is now a meme and a gay icon (?!), but I found it pretty terrifying when I watched it, with one of my all time favorite horror scenes (SPOILERS):

Spoiler

I thought Heredidull was in the same vein of disturbing family horror but, although the movie is creepy, I just found it a bit boring and overlong. By the climax, I was trying not to fall asleep.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Hereditary > It Follows/Bird Box > The VVitch > A Quiet Place > Midsommar > Us/Babadook

Bird Box is that good? All I've heard is that the movie is mostly trash, and not one of those "elevated horror" (another "hip and cool" expression that I hate almost as much as "peak TV"), like the Ari Aster flicks, The Lighthouse, Get Out, etc?

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Bird Box is that good? 

Yes, even though A Quiet Place is more intense as a horror flick, Bird Box is the better movie. 

https://www.ranker.com/list/bird-box-vs-a-quiet-place/christopher-shultz

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

All I've heard is that the movie is mostly trash, and not one of those "elevated horror" (another "hip and cool" expression that I hate almost as much as "peak TV"), like the Ari Aster flicks, The Lighthouse, Get Out, etc?

The same people probably hated Darabont's The Mist too.

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The same people probably hated Darabont's The Mist too.

I like The Mist. It has one of the most amazing and terrifying creature designs that I've seen for the otherworldly monsters. I would love a movie based on the Lovecraft mythos using this sorts of design for the monsters, like this bad boy here:

Resultado de imagem para the mist behemoth

On the other hand, people will hate me, but I found the ending dumb as hell. And very forced too, like Darabont was screaming into your face "ARE YOU SHOCKED AND DEPRESSED YET"?  with that annoying score.

15 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

A Quiet Place is better than any of them. VVItch and Hereditary are awful 

A Quiet Place at least is a fun horror flick, without the pretensions of talking about mental illness on the Aster movies or racial/social problems on the Peele ones (that I like, but still, it's good to watch just a monster movie with a cool concept once in a while).

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

On the other hand, people will hate me, but I found the ending dumb as hell. And very forced too, like Darabont was screaming into your face "ARE YOU SHOCKED AND DEPRESSED YET"?  with that annoying score.

I hated it too but when I rewatched the movie I realized it was a befitting ending for the B movie that Darabont aspired to make.

I guess I would've liked the ending more if it wasn't for the horrible new age score, one of the worst examples of the "wailing woman" subgenre (and this one is already pretty bad). Maybe if he'd let the scenes unfold with no music, or just minimum music, it would've been more effective, instead of Lisa Gerrard whining on the ears of the audience.

Going to see Fantasy Island. I know its a typical February film (not like Silence). It will probably be a waste of time but it pits me near Red Lobster so the purpose is served.

10 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

The \    /    \     /    itch = The Lighthouse > The Babadook > Under the Shadow > It Comes at Night = Midsommar = The Wailing > Hereditary = A Quiet Place > It Follows = Us = Get Out

What...

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Hereditary > It Follows/Bird Box > The VVitch > A Quiet Place > Midsommar > Us/Babadook

...the...

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Midsommar > Hereditary > Get Out > A Quiet Place > Bird Box > It Follows

...hell?!

What is it that everyone thinks Midsommar is a good movie. It is

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

boring as hell,

complacent and craving for pertinence.