What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've accidentally slipped into watching Twilight Breaking Dawn part 1.

This film is almost 60 minutes old, there's only 50 minutes to go, and I have seen nothing but a wedding, Robert Pattinson fucking Kristen Stewart too hard, Kristen Stewart begging Robert Pattinson to continue fucking her hard, now they're playing chess. 

Is there a point to this film? 

54 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

That's like me accidentally slipping a hypodermic needle into my veins.

I watched Narcos beforehand, and I wanted to check out what was next. 

I've never seen a Twilight film in my life. 

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

A Hidden Life

Malick is one of my favourite directors too.

Haven't seen this yet, but I'm planning to.

But most of all I'm so looking forward to his next movie about the life or something of Christ.

Imagine that Malick movie with a John Williams score! I think it would be something sublime!

48 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Malick is one of my favourite directors too.

Haven't seen this yet, but I'm planning to.

But most of all I'm so looking forward to his next movie about the life or something of Christ.

Imagine that Malick movie with a John Williams score! I think it would be something sublime!

A Malick movie scored by JW would be a dream come true. But since Williams is not exactly known for religious scores, maybe Malick would turn to Ennio Morricone to score it? I mean, considering Morricone is willing to take a job like this.

A Malick movie scored by Williams would be as much waste of potential as a late Spielberg movie scored by Williams... wait a minute... oh fuck.

There won't be any new game-changing collaboration in John Williams career. The last really innovative one was in 2004 or 2005.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

A Malick movie scored by Williams would be as much waste of potential as a late Spielberg movie scored by Williams... wait a minute... oh fuck.

There won't be any new game-changing collaboration in John Williams career. The last really innovative one was in 2004 or 2005.

Nah. Malick is probably one of the few directors who would still have the balls to push Williams outside of his comfort zone. Whether it would all make it to the film or not is a different matter, but the music would probably be some of the most meaningful work of his late career.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

A Malick movie scored by JW would be a dream come true. But since Williams is not exactly known for religious scores, maybe Malick would turn to Ennio Morricone to score it? I mean, considering Morricone is willing to take a job like this.

Neither are probably at a stage in their careers where they're willing to put up with Malick's process anymore. It's why he sticks to the younger guys.

I would love to hear Williams take on a Malick film though. It's basically carte blanche for a composer, without being beholden to cumbersome blockbuster technicalities.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Cinematography is not exactly iconic like Lubezski's contributions for the director, but newcomer Joerg Wiedmann still makes the movie wonderful to watch. Every frame of it could be on the favorite shots thread.

I'd argue that Lubezski's modern style is actually more informed by Malick than the other way around, though it's clearly a symbiotic relationship. A Hidden Life is still gorgeous to look at, as all Malick films are. But I really liked the way the film played with light and darkness, and the return of more classical framing (as much as you'd expect in a Malick film). Felt like it stood apart from the Lubezki-shot films.

Yeah, a Malick movie scored by JW would be a dream come true. Even if not all of the music would make to the cut, we still would have the OST to appreciate. And yeah, Malick could push Williams to unexpected directions on his late career.

The question is would Williams be interested on going through this challenge? It's a director famed for having complicated relationships with his composers (JNH was smart enough and I'd say lucky enough on his turn). 

• 2 weeks later...

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

IMG_20200416_232754_089.jpg

Set in late 18th century France, a young painter lady is commissioned to paint the portrait of another lady to send to her distant unknown husband-to-be. The initial hook is that she doesn't take to the idea of this marriage and refuses to pose, therefore the painter has to act as her walking companion and do the portrait from memory, then from there a lovely, subtle and minimal love story develops. Those with no attention span, keep scrolling, this ain't the most edge-of-your-seat film with much happening. I loved how it looks, the impeccable acting, how characters open up and relationships change (like how the initial social hierarchy of the house breaks down from matriarch-lady-painter-maid to more of an equal sisterhood) and how it uses art, not only painting but literature (there are direct references to Orpheus's story and the dangers of looking back) and music (in a way that can be relatable to many of us I'm sure). The final shot and the whole thing overall will stick with me for a while. If this sounds like a borefest, it probably will be, but if that premise and hook sound interesting, I recommend it, just know it starts slowly.

Oh and it's French but if you got this far I assume you are able to read

Parasite

's good. Went a bit off the rails by the end, I may have preferred it to stick to the comedy with some thriller elements instead of out of nowhere murderous rampages and forcing empathy.

Also expected the... message? Meaning? to be more... rounded or I dunno. "here's a problem" OK, nice interesting problem, what to do about it? "be criminals then fail, it's a problem" OK, how do we solve the problem? "no it's a problem" Yes, it's a problem, don't you have even the slightest clue or hint or idea to show me about how it can be made better? "look here: this is a problem."

On 3/16/2020 at 4:33 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

WITNESS? 2010? I don't call them "garbage".

Generally doesn't mean all but the majority are garbage. I do not waiver on this belief.

• 2 weeks later...

Planet of the Humans

I don't watch docos much but this Michael Moore-produced flick is under threat from being pulled from YouTube, so get it while you can. It's a real eye-opener on the fraudulent push for renewable energy technology like wind and solar that doesn't work without any significant fossil fuel support, as well as shredding the covert use of biomas tech, that ravages the environment with far more devastating consequences than the traditional fossil fuels these crooks were condemning in the first place. Unfortunately it doesn't present any tangible solutions other than depopulation – instead we witness the cruelty of Indonesian deforestation and the grim fate of the region's natural inhabitants – and all that when they could have gone nuclear instead?

• 3 weeks later...

Screen-Shot-2020-05-20-at-2-35-23-AM.png

Youth

One of the most gorgeously shot films in recent memory, with some wonderful little surrealistic flourishes. Which makes it all the more frustrating when the film falls short of its ambitions. It's asking all the right questions, it's playing with some great visual and sonic ideas and yet doesn't really know what it wants to say. There are one too many half-baked characters acting as cardboard stand-ins for half-baked ideas aiming at Antonioni-esque existential angst. What makes it all watchable, aside from the visuals, is Michael Caine's affecting subtlety, which grounds the whole affair. But for every pretty naval-gazing shot of Caine's sad face, there is some cringe-worthy on-the-nose hallucination of Kietal's former actresses to drive a point home. In the end, I can't help but feel like this screenplay just needed a couple more drafts to really discover itself, because all the ingredients for a great film are there. And if it had nailed everything that came before, that finale with the Lang piece could have been truly transcendent. But as is, Sorrentino's film is sadly more style over substance. Or worse, style pretending to be substance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Captain Marvel is the worst MCU movie of Phase 3, and one of the worst on the entire franchise alongside Thor: The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk.

It's unfortunate that they chose a tedious film like this to be their first female-centric movie. Black Widow should've been the first years ago.

I started the film about 3 1/2 hours ago - I kept stopping it and getting distracted by some other stuff. That doesn't happen if the film is interesting and engaging.

Now they seem to have entered the final battle, where things are banging and crashing, so I just turned it off. What a terrible film.

9 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm 30 mins from the end of Captain Marvel.

I've never been so bored watching a Marvel film. This is a load of rubbish.

Misogynist alert!

I'm bemused by people who are apparently so bored in pseudo lockdown that they'll proactively watch shit movies. I can think of a ton of other things to do instead.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'm bemused by people who are apparently so bored in pseudo lockdown that they'll proactively watch shit movies. I can think of a ton of other things to do instead.

It's not like I started watching it knowing it was shit...

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Let's just say there was a strong possibility one could have been aware of. 

I'm not 'into' the Marvel universe, and I'm watching these films solely because I signed up for Disney+ to watch some other stuff. I had no reason at all to know it was a terrible film.

I like bad movies.

You know, obviously not bad-bad movies, but good-bad movies.

It’s a fine balance.

I’d also say that all Marvel movies are either good or bad, not much nuance there.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

It's a very anemic film. Not really "bad" as such, but devoid of any personality or original idea of its own.

Karol

The Walk

For all the positive buzz it got, it never clicked for me. As good as Joseph Gordon-Levitt is, I never really buy him as Phillippe Petit. Dariusz Wolski's digital photography is rather drab and while the climax is uplifting, it's a slog getting there. I expected better from Robert Zemeckis.

Can anyone explain why Zemeckis continues failing upwards? He keeps losing money for studios and yet they still want him for big budget films. There's only so much goodwill Forrest Gump and the Back to the Future movies can get you.

On 6/14/2020 at 9:30 AM, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

It's the only Marvel movie I haven't seen yet since Disney seems stingy about allowing its movies to air on cable now.

Rogue One aired here in the UK on a non-subscription channel last night, I did wonder how that was allowed in these Disney+ times. 

6 hours ago, Matt C said:

The Walk

For all the positive buzz it got, it never clicked for me. As good as Joseph Gordon-Levitt is, I never really buy him as Phillippe Petit. Dariusz Wolski's digital photography is rather drab and while the climax is uplifting, it's a slog getting there. I expected better from Robert Zemeckis.

Can anyone explain why Zemeckis continues failing upwards? He keeps losing money for studios and yet they still want him for big budget films. There's only so much goodwill Forrest Gump and the Back to the Future movies can get you.

It was never going to be as good as Man On Wire. I don't know why they bothered.