What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Continuing my Disney foray:

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

And Man and the Wasp

Cinderella

Maleficent was reasonably entertaining, nothing special. I liked the first movie, hence watched this one. Zanelli's music had its moments, but sections either re-recorded or tracked from the first score stole the show several times.

The latter two were great, and Doyle's score for Cinderella was beautiful - I ordered the CD halfway through the film. Disappointed that Lily James singing Lavender's Blue wasn't included, and the soundtrack contains some crappy pop songs instead.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/14/2020 at 11:43 PM, Matt C said:

The Walk

For all the positive buzz it got, it never clicked for me. As good as Joseph Gordon-Levitt is, I never really buy him as Phillippe Petit. Dariusz Wolski's digital photography is rather drab and while the climax is uplifting, it's a slog getting there. I expected better from Robert Zemeckis.

Can anyone explain why Zemeckis continues failing upwards? He keeps losing money for studios and yet they still want him for big budget films. There's only so much goodwill Forrest Gump and the Back to the Future movies can get you.

The Walk was greenlit, because it was following in the footsteps of Flight, which was a very successful low-budgeted drama starring Denzel Washington, and considered a reasonable return for Zemeckis to live-action, after his aborted attempt of a mo-cap trilogy. Plus he's also generally good at keeping budgets down, and in on time. Both The Walk, and Welcome to Marwen only cost around 40m, and while Allied was pricier then both, that was probably due to star salaries and shooting locations, not to mention it's overall a bit more ambitious in terms of scope. 

Until recently Zemeckis movies were at least hugely profitable or reasonable attended. Even something like A Christmas Carol made over 300m worldwide in 2009, it just lost a lot of money because the Mo-Cap technology was so expensive, and not really there yet. However his last three films though have all been massive money losers, and nobody's going to see them, so I'm not sure how much longer he has before he's forced to turn to streaming. It's very possible his remake of The Witches gets dumped on HBO MAX for example, especially given the current Coronavirus situation. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mission Impossible: Fallout came on Netflix today. It's overlong, and the plot occasionally tries to put too many twists in (and I saw the 'real' identity of Lark coming a mile off... there were enough clues), but overall it was entertaining. The chase sequences are well executed, and I like how the screen is enlarged for the chopper sequence.

I was a critic of Balfe's score when I heard bits of it on album, and that largely hasn't changed in the film. The majority of the score sounds like it's performed entirely on synths (I felt a number of times early on in the film that it sounded too cheap for a film like this), with droning brass and string ostinatos until the cows come home. In the film, most of it is completely lost in the background, but two bits jumped out at me: the foot chase in London, and the chopper sequence, which has a brass motif I rather like. I really feel that sequence would've worked with a more orchestral approach though. McQuarrie was definitely after a Nolan-style Zimmer score. The Paris chase was also interesting when Balfe used the M:I theme.

I'm likely to buy the Blu-ray cheaply because there are a few sequences I'd like to watch with isolated music. It's not a bad score - it works absolutely competently in the film and very ocasionally on album - but I think it could've been so much better if Balfe ditched those endless ostinatos and wrote some more orchestral material. And his quieter, emotional material (definitely sounded synth) really doesn't go anywhere.

Interesting - I found the opposite. The emotional material was just 'there', except perhaps for the bit where Cruise meets up with Ferguson. Whereas when Balfe seemed to use actual instruments more prominently in the action material, I rather liked it.

Ironically, the main bits that I liked from the film, where Cruise leaps onto the rope, and where the choppers are going over the waterfall, I don't think are on the album, but the less interesting surrounding bits are. I'm surprised to be saying this for this film, but thank god for the isolated score. Where are Zimmer's 15 minute tracks when you need them?

I've got the BD arriving tomorrow, and am interested in watching a few sequences sans effects. I could barely hear what was going on musically during the skydive sequence. Although I also just love owning isolated scores if the movie is good, and at least some of the music is listenable.

Screen-Shot-2020-07-05-at-1-58-33-AM.png

Into the Wild

Look too closely, you could probably pull its messiah figure apart. But it delivers a deeply affecting experience, so its message resonates. A strong story delivered thoughtfully. Also, I can't be the only who kept getting major DiCaprio vibes with Emile Hirsch?

An actual brilliant and affecting film. I only saw it once, years ago. At the time it made an impact I wasn't expecting.

One of those films with a rare and quite moving final shot, too. About Schmidt also had one, in a vaguely similar vein (at least in the emotions it elicited in me). Cathartic bittersweet sadness, and just good old "that was a really satisfying watch".

I had a terrible experience watching that film in theaters that tarnished my opinion of it. Don’t think I could ever give it a fair shake again, but I do remember some of the cinematography to be striking. 

8 hours ago, KK said:

Into the Wild

Look too closely, you could probably pull its messiah figure apart. 

Strangers were taken by CM but does that make him JC?

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

just good old "that was a really satisfying watch".

Yes, it does this really well. Which can't be said for a lot of movies these days.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Strangers were taken by CM but does that make him JC?

I think he really did become a sort of messiah figure for a lot of wildlife travellers. And I know the film's more sensational treatment of the story directed many towards a similar journey, or line of thinking. In that sense, it does what the best kind of movies do, move people. Though on a more cynical day, some of that hippie logic probably won't hold up very well.

Speaking of which, apparently the infamous "magic bus" was officially removed from the site last month!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/alaska-into-the-wild-bus-removed-trnd/index.html

5eecaf162e46f.image.jpg

1 hour ago, KK said:

I think he really did become a sort of messiah figure for a lot of wildlife travellers. And I know the film's more sensational treatment of the story directed many towards a similar journey, or line of thinking. In that sense, it does what the best kind of movies do, move people. Though on a more cynical day, some of that hippie logic probably won't hold up very well.

Of course, he appeals to wildlife travellers, but it's also weird, since his journey was a road to death. That being said, I don't think the movie sketched him as a JC figure. People loved him more than he loved them. 

I found Into the Wild painfully pretentious and preachy. I kind of enjoyed it for what it was, but given the apparent criticism he received from the 'outdoor' community for being an idiot and going there with no prep or knowledge, I seem to remember the film ignoring that, and just treating him as some sort of role model, that we should all dump our possessions and live in a tent.

Wild with Reese Witherspoon is way better.

On 7/4/2020 at 11:39 PM, Edmilson said:

I liked Balfe's "Ethan's regret theme" on strings (?), but didn't care for the action music. Too much temp-track-y.

I'm listening to Balfe's commentary now (to his credit, it's a good commentary, despite my reservations about a lot of the score) and he said this film had no temp track.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I found Into the Wild painfully pretentious and preachy. I kind of enjoyed it for what it was, but given the apparent criticism he received from the 'outdoor' community for being an idiot and going there with no prep or knowledge, I seem to remember the film ignoring that, and just treating him as some sort of role model, that we should all dump our possessions and live in a tent.

Sounds more like you have a personal beef with society dropouts, because the movie neither ignored nor approved the consequences of the guy's actions. It just didn't comment much on them.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm listening to Balfe's commentary now (to his credit, it's a good commentary, despite my reservations about a lot of the score) and he said this film had no temp track.

That only make things worse for him, considering much of the music is so similar to other Zimmer's scores for Nolan, specifically The Dark Knight Rises.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

And die out of ignorance. You do remember that, right?

JOKER

second viewing raised my admiration from good to excellent.

Knowing what to expect allowed me to concentrate on the.direction and action.

Watching in the wake of George Floyd is eerie.

Great score that deserves its accolades.

2 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Alex has the same taste in movies as President Donald Trump.

You would have voted for Thomas Wayne for mayor.

You love having your face rubbed in it.

IYHYKIM

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Great score, you say?

Everyone with taste says.

Are you Erik Woods behind that screen name?

1 hour ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

It's shit

I bet you loved SUICIDE SQUAD.

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

When I first saw ID4, I didn't like it, but I've grown to like it, over time.

I haven't watched ID4:R.

Apparently, I'm not missing much.

It was actually pretty good until that stupid "computer virus" Deux ex machina

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Exactly the reaction one would expect from ADULTS who still care about SW and read superhero comics.

Screenshot_2020-07-06-21-06-35~2.png

1. You're on the same forum

2. You're adult 

3. You communicate in cartoons

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Avoid Resurgence like the plague. It competes with Suicide Squad for the title of "worst movie of 2016".

You're forgetting Female Ghostbusters. It was truly a year of Amber Turds.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, KK said:

Into the Wild

Look too closely, you could probably pull its messiah figure apart. But it delivers a deeply affecting experience, so its message resonates. A strong story delivered thoughtfully. Also, I can't be the only who kept getting major DiCaprio vibes with Emile Hirsch?

Loved the book. Never got around to film.

Is is streaming anywhere at the moment?x

The Color out of Space

I'm a Lovecraft fan, so I was hoping for this movie to be good. Unfortunately, it isn't. Poor special effects, a plot that moves very slowly and, worst offender, the lack of a dread atmosphere. The movie is just too silly, which is helped by Nic Cage doing NicCageisms on the main role.

I tried to watch UNCUT GEMS but quit one hour in.

Iirc this film was critically acclaimed and people were saying ADAM SANDLER (!?) deserved an Oscar nom...

Wtf? Horrible film about horrible people-

' Nuff said😠😡😵

32 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I tried to watch UNCUT GEMS but quit one hour in.

Iirc this film was critically acclaimed and people were saying ADAM SANDLER (!?) deserved an Oscar nom...

Wtf? Horrible film about horrible people-

' Nuff said😠😡😵

III

JUST checked some user reviews and a surprising number quit the movie at the one hour mark also!