What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

JUST checked some user reviews and a surprising number quit the movie at the one hour mark also!

OTOH, I did notice that many people were deeply impressed with Sandler's atypical performance and how they loved the film's energetic, ruthless pace. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

OTOH, I did notice many people were deeply impressed with Sandler's atypical performance and they loved the film's energetic, ruthless pace. 

The " ruthless pace" caused severe anxiety in many of us.

The screaming dialog compounded the problem.

Just guessing how it ends...

Sandler turns down 250 k for the opal because he thinks he will make " millions" at auction. The big ' twist' ending is the stone turns out to be worthless.

Am I right?

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

The " ruthless pace" caused severe anxiety in many of us.

The screaming dialog compounded the problem.

Just guessing how it ends...

Sandler turns down 250 k for the opal because he thinks he will make " millions" at auction. The big ' twist' ending is the stone turns out to be worthless.

Am I right?

Thor loved it.

Of course😔😉

Just now, bruce marshall said:

I'm just trying to get you to open your ears to a larger universe😊

If you don't think I'm open minded then you really haven't been paying attention. ;)

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

Loving TRON LEGACY doesn't qualify as " open minded"😁

Please stop.  You're becoming rather insulting. This isn't fun.

35 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Please stop.  You're becoming rather insulting. This isn't fun.

I was just teasing, like I always do.

If I didn't respect your opinions, I wouldn't listen to your show.

Peace brother☺☺

On 7/16/2020 at 5:42 PM, bruce marshall said:

Loving TRON LEGACY doesn't qualify as " open minded"😁

TRON LEGACY score was the best score of 2010, and make no mistake.

On the other hand, TRON LEGACY was the best film of 2010, and make no mistake.

27 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

TRON LEGACY score was the best score of 2010, and make no mistake.

On the other hand, TRON LEGACY was the best film of 2010, and make no mistake.

I liked it.

I liked it. Fun score.

But, it wasn't some groundbreaking merging of synth and orchestra.

It wasn't innovative by any measure.

The film was awful.

Enjoyed it quite a lot at the cinema for what it was. Then again I literally couldn't give a shit about the original, so I had no vested interest in a sequel, I wasn't gearing up to be disappointed.

Viewers need to stop trying to elevate standard popcorn fare into something more - purely to then enable them to pick apart and criticise at their leisure. Some movies are just okay pastimes, and that's absolutely fine. There are far far worse movies in the cinema than Tron 2. Same goes for Avatar.

Saw some of Terminator Dark Fate. The actor playing the Rev 9 must be the most unconvincing Terminator of all time. Might as well have gone with Adam Sandler. 

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite Potter film.

I would have edited the film a bit differently, but not another film in the series encapsulates the themes more than the climax of this one. One feels it in one's soul.

Superb.

I am not a huge fan of the Potter franchise... I don’t know how long it’s been since I last saw any of the movies, but I’d say a minimum of 5 years, but from what I remember Phoenix is an entertaining film, one of the best of the lot.

Who knows, maybe I’d feel differently now, but I doubt it. I’d probably forgive any lack of plot for the pure entertainment it brings.

Also, it’s a Potter movie... any complaint about plot in these movies, my brain just goes “it’s made for kids, how much’d ya expect?” On that scale it’s absolutely fine.

I know fans are rabid about these movies, but I’d wager it has more to do with nostalgia, the sheer amount of wealth of material (that makes it fun to “dig in to”), and the fact that they all have a rather high standard of quality along side each other (not counting The Fantastic Beasts movies that are horridly dreadful), rather than any hidden depths.

10 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Order Of The Phoenix

My favorite book, but as a movie, there's nothing resembling a real plot until an hour into the film. Total fluff. 

I love the book as well, but the movie is pretty bad. It plays like a low budget made-for-TV film.

26 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Also, it’s a Potter movie... any complaint about plot in these movies, my brain just goes “it’s made for kids, how much’d ya expect?” On that scale it’s absolutely fine.

Thing is, that reasoning doesn't apply to the books, because they're a case of that fabulous kind of thing that's "made for kids" but also aims to still work for adults (at least to those who think growing up is overrated) and deliberately caters to them as well. The books have a fabulously intricate plot (and narrative) that is mostly missing from most of the films.

As far as I remember (it's been years), OotP the film was mostly fine, except they simple cut out most of the climax, which was the one part of the book that read as if it would work much better as a film than in written form.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Thing is, that reasoning doesn't apply to the books, because they're a case of that fabulous kind of thing that's "made for kids" but also aims to still work for adults

Fair enough, I’ve never read the books.

But I see a lot of people holding up these movies to standards they don’t really earn. But just because they’re not “deep” doesn’t make them bad.

To be fair, most of the “geek media” that we consume today is made for kids. Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Sonic... That doesn’t mean it can’t be entertaining - quite the opposite.

A “kids-movie” will be good and entertaining for all ages if it is well made, has some kind of plot to be resolved and clear internal logic. I don’t need it to be “high art”.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable. I watched Deep Blue Sea 3 and found it passable for chrissakes... ; )

15 minutes ago, rough cut said:

To be fair, most of “geek media” that we consume today is made for kids. Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Sonic... That doesn’t mean it can’t be entertaining - quite the opposite.

With other words, 99% of movies playing in theatres appeals to kids. 

... and I find them rarely entertaining.

26 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Fair enough, I’ve never read the books.

But I see a lot of people holding up these movies to standards they don’t really earn. But just because they’re not “deep” doesn’t make them bad.

Oh, certainly not. I like all of the films in their own way. The most frustrating overall was Goblet of Fire, but aside from all the things it did poorly, it handled the characters really well.

But nearly all of the films fall short of their book counterparts. That's to be expected, at least to some extent, and the number of films that fully live up to or even exceed their book origins is extremely small and excludes many adaptations that are very good in their own right, or perhaps even as good as they could possibly be. But with the Potter films it hurts, because the intricate plot is the heart of the books, and most of the film versions follow the books very (perhaps too) closely, except that they strongly streamline and dumb down the plot. Essentially, they essentially try to copy the books while at the same time deliberately taking out a central part of their artistry.

The main exception here is Prisoner of Azkaban, which is curious, because it's also the one that takes the most liberties with the story and leaves out essential chunks (although AFAIR without contradicting them, so as a reader of the books you may complain that they're missing, but it doesn't hurt the things they actually did put in the film). What makes it work is that PoA is well balanced as a film and manages to create tension by augmenting what it does take from the book with what it does as a film, whereas most of the other films never make up for the loss of tension they incur by (over)reducing the plot.

(But I haven't seen any of the films in 10+ years, so my reactions to when I watch them again might differ - not necessarily to the better; taking a long break didn't exactly work in favour of PJ's LOTR films for me)

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Essentially, they essentially try to copy the books while at the same time deliberately taking out a central part of their artistry.

Clearly, the use of "essentially" was essential here...

• 1 month later...

ONCE UPON A TIME..HOLLYWOOD

I was disappointed.

It started off great. But, once we got to that awful scene with the girl on set....:(

Pitt was great. Wish the film was centered on him.

DiCaprio character just wasn't that compelling.

Lots of enjoyable bits but didn't add up to a satisfying whole.

Way too long . Too much seems aimed for film geeks.

Check out BAD TIMES.AT THE EL ROYALE

A terrific film with similar theme and setting!

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's one of his best but it's not for kids.

Nah.

HATEFUL 8 was a masterpiece.

No comparison.

DJANGO was very good. JACKIE BROWN very good.

Not a bad film, but not one of his better efforts.

If you aren't a film and TV buff like me, you probably won't like it at all.

I did the love the conceit that Dicap made FOUR films in Italy- in SIX MONTHS!  😆

25 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The Hateful Eight is too much of a Tarantino stage play for me. Silly of him to waste 70mm stock on it. 

It was also around that time when he said he wanted to stop making movies and write stage plays. Sigh ...

You just don't get it, do you?

Well, do ya...PUNK!