What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guardians of the Galaxy.

A very funny film that helped me remember why the original Star Wars is so great. It was appropriately self-conscious without being obnoxious about it. While the framework of the script was obviously formulaic, the wacky style of the production kept me from complaining. Chew this up while it lasts!

EDIT: I wrote this for the old film thread! It's been out for weeks!!

It's funny, I said something similar after I saw it - that it was more like a Star Wars movie than a superhero movie. Just kind of being completely set in space on various planets with nothing to do with Earth at all, and the general fun adventurous atmosphere, etc.

I wonder if Disney will hire James Gunn to do a Star Wars spinoff film after he does GOTG2

Guardians of the Galaxy.

A very funny film that helped me remember why the original Star Wars is so great. It was appropriately self-conscious without being obnoxious about it. While the framework of the script was obviously formulaic, the wacky style of the production kept me from complaining. Chew this up while it lasts!

EDIT: I wrote this for the old film thread! It's been out for weeks!!

You were great in it.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Middle of the road movie for me . Watchable but nothing too memorable.

It did renew my interest in Giacchino's score though. Is the album more or less complete or lots of unreleased stuff?

Maybe the samples were too short to judge. I haven't got to listening to the whole OST yet

I did notice a lot of nice cues in the film

Guardians of the Galaxy

Hugely overrated. I don't mind the self-aware tone James Gunn takes with this, casting is top-notch (Chris Pratt especially), but the story... we've seen it done before and to better effect -- a la Joss Whedon's "Firefly", Star Wars... I could go on. And personally, Marvel Studios should stop doing the post-credit stinger, they weren't the first to 'invent' it and for the most part... not worth sitting through 7 minutes of end credit scroll. Guardians' is a throwaway 'humorous' scene that just elicits a sigh of resignation than excitement.

Give me Avengers: Age of Ultron already.

No, James Gunn didn't invent it but there was plenty of it and it was done with flair. I had a 7/10 time with it.

Also, Guardians Of The Galaxy is a Gordon-esque fantasy galaxy filled with burlesque monsters and creatures while Whedon's universe is the American Old West with Star Wars technology (a concept he 'borrowed' from Star Wars and which he enlarged). Nothing is new.

For it to be an 8/10 experience, it lacks a bit a gravitas. Like Star Wars, it could have done with a wider range of emotions. You never feel real danger, threat, sadness or victory. It's all flash and fluffy ... but sure, is was fun ...

Alex

But everything else is there ...

People have been comparing Firefly to Star Wars ever since the dawn of Whedon so it's only natural that they recognize it in Guardians too.

Mmm ... I've watched Serenity (more than once) but haven't yet gotten around to watching the Firefly box-set I bought quite some time ago. I think I followed what was going on in Serenity just fine.

You can follow everything fine, but all the character relationships and idiosyncrasies make more sense having watched the show.

Yes ...

I liked it much more once I watched the TV series. Before that I was like "Who are these people and why should I care?" I really think Whedon made the movie for the original fans to give them some kind of closure.

Alex

Serenity is odd in that it's actually a really good film finale to a TV show. Bought the blu.

Lee - increasingly likes the idea of an epic huge budget filmic finale to Game of Thrones.

As I was just saying in the other thread, I'm on Season 2. How many times have you gone through it before?

I think I rewatched the first half halfway through the original run and either the second half or the whole thing before the final season came out.

This is my first viewing since after the original run. I actually still have to get the final season on Blu.

I'm thinking of rewatching BSG (the Ron Moore one) after I'm done... and hoping for a good Amazon Christmas deal on Twin Peaks (which I've never seen) after that.

As I was just saying in the other thread, I'm on Season 2. How many times have you gone through it before?

I think I rewatched the first half halfway through the original run and either the second half or the whole thing before the final season came out.

This is my first viewing since after the original run. I actually still have to get the final season on Blu.

I'm thinking of rewatching BSG (the Ron Moore one) after I'm done... and hoping for a good Amazon Christmas deal on Twin Peaks (which I've never seen) after that.

Twin Peaks is on my radar too. The blu set is only $90 at the moment, which is not bad, but having never seen it I'm hesitant. Breaking Bad at $100 is also tempting.

In other words, this is your first time going through the series after seeing the finale? There's an ubiquitous amount of little details and tidbits that only make sense after seeing everything, I love it.

Does one need to have watched Firefly to understand the movie?

I saw Serenity when it first came out on video without seeing a single frame of the TV show (still haven't) and I didn't feel like left out of the loop or anything. I was able to follow it from start to finish without issue, though I have no doubt the emotional impact of certain scenes were lessened by my lack of the knowledge/history of the show.

That's an indicator of how well crafted Serenity was, that it could be watched and enjoyed without any prior knowledge of events in the show. But yes, it's definitely a better idea to see the show before the movie. There's the in-jokes, for one.

And then there's Fire Walk With Me, which is utterly pointless without Twin Peaks before it. Some might argue it's still pointless with it, like I would.

And then there's Fire Walk With Me, which is utterly pointless without Twin Peaks before it. Some might argue it's still pointless with it, like I would.

And it's the only thing from Twin Peaks I've actually seen.

In other words, this is your first time going through the series after seeing the finale? There's an ubiquitous amount of little details and tidbits that only make sense after seeing everything, I love it.

Yup. I'm picking up bits and pieces, but probably not nearly as much as I should/would have if I'd started a rewatch soon after the finale.

Yup. I'm picking up bits and pieces, but probably not nearly as much as I should/would have if I'd started a rewatch soon after the finale.

I think I went through it again about 3 months after the show ended, and I found that if you start the show at Season 6 and loop around it makes it quite a different and interesting experience. "The Incident" might just be my favorite episode. The show could have ended there and I would have been satisfied.

I want to rewatch the show from the start too, but I always keep pushing it back. I'm also interested in watching Chronologically LOST, but I think that'd be too overwhelming.

Does the show in chronological order exist? Because if it does I'm definitely watching that.