What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, KK said:

Good scenes. Lame movie.

Right.

It's a few good scenes plus nostalgia.

Dalton was a really uniinteresting character to center a film around. A former star of a TV Western? Really, QT

Oh well. QT has always alternated good and not so good films.

Occasionally, he makes a great one (H8)

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I liked the finale of Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood.

Well, the thing with the pit bull was cool....😅

The flamethrower was funny also

20 hours ago, AC1 said:

The Hateful Eight is too much of a Tarantino stage play for me. Silly of him to waste 70mm stock on it. 

From SERGIO LÉONE WEBSITE a-fistful-of-leone.com
"I don't think it is a stroke of genius, but also not a strange idea."
QT was not the first to use a wide format for an intimate film."

BRUCE MARSHALL replied:

"People seem to think widescreen means outdoor panoramic vistas.
Shooting in Ultra Panavision would probably been indiscernible . In fact, most theatres probably had to letterbox H8 to fit the 2:40 screen
Anamorphic is actually well suited to indoor films with many characters.
It allows.the director to keep a large cast in frame - like a theatre play- without having to pan and cut constantly."

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Dalton was a really uniinteresting character to center a film around. A former star of a TV Western? Really, QT

I guess you hated Sunset Boulevard as well. I understand it's un-American to have sympathy for "a former star" because Americans only love a winner, but I thoroughly enjoyed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood from start to finish, which I can't always say about the ones you guys seem to prefer. Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight, Death Proof, ... They might contain good scenes but as a whole they failed to warm my heart. 

37 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

But, you didn't like CHERYNOBL....

Fake news! (I liked it but that's it)

37 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

You have no taste, Alex.😜

Says the guy movies were bad until the search for the ultimate blockbuster began. ;)

I think I really loved Hateful Eight precisely because of how stage play-e it was. I had no idea what to expect from the film at all actually, so it was quite surprising. I never expected to ever see such a thing as a Tarantino farce. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I think I really loved Hateful Eight precisely because of how stage play-e it was. I had no idea what to expect from the film at all actually, so it was quite surprising. I never expected to ever see such a thing as a Tarantino farce. 

It's a wonderful exercise in mounting tension in a restricted setting. Like the strongest scenes of Inglourious Basterds are. And the 70mm format fits it perfectly, including some wonderful split diopter shots.

I missed Hollywood in theatres and am still waiting for a good deal on the Blu. Amazon has it for €4 and advertises "free shipping", but when I actually try to order it, it says shipping to Austria is €30.

27 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's what documentaries are for.

What a strange thing to say. As if film can't be about a certain time period, its people, their lives, its social climate and the zeitgeist of that time. 

MV5BMTk3MDY3NDc2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODcw

No explosions, no monster, no villain, no superpowers. I guess this too is a documentary. Sigh ...

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

As if film can't be about a certain time period, its people, their lives, its social climate and the zeitgeist of that time. 

It can, but only as a setting for the story and its characters. There's nothing wrong with putting a lot of energy into creating a believable setting, and there's nothing wrong taking some time to really immerse the audience in it, to let them "drink in" some of your visuals.

But once you start to meander, fawning around your own evocation of a time and a place, and letting the story lag behind, you've failed as a storyteller.

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

It had something to say, also.

QT is one of the few, maybe the only director who confronts America's racist history straight on.

I love that about him!

21 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It can, but only as a setting for the story and the characters. Once you start to meander, fawning around your own evocation of a time and place, and letting the story lag for it, you've failed as a storyteller.

I love meandering, evocation and mood. All part of building a world where the characters live. Fail to create a world and you have failed as a storyteller. In the end, the world and its characters will be a part of my memory, not the story. 

Again, if I want to know more about 1960s LA I'd watch a documentary, not a feature film that's supposed to be about these two guys but only sorta and not really, because look! the 1960s!

If you know a good docu about the dreams and disillusions of people, where you really feel the spirit of the era, and that is able to transport me into that world, then I wouldn't mind watching it. 

If you want to know LA in the 50s- before the freeways and housing tracts ruined it- check out tv sbow HIGHWAY PATROL. It's a camp classic!

16 minutes ago, AC1 said:

If you know a good docu about the dreams and disillusions of people, where you really feel the spirit of the era, and that is able to transport me into that world, then I wouldn't mind watching it. 

Docs

THE WAY WEST

NEW YORK : A DOCUMENTARY FILM

Dramas"

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

THE GREAT GATSBY.( Fuhrman)

THE DOORS

Howards End or perennial JWFan favourite The Remains of the Day, though? I'd probably pip for the latter, but really I'll take any M&I I can get, depending on how rainy the afternoon is outside.

But if you really want to talk about windows into the past, Days of Heaven takes some beating. 

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Look, I like it when a movie takes its time, but there comes a point where it feels like the story and the characters are just there as an excuse to explore the world of the film.

I don't understand this view. 

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

It can, but only as a setting for the story and its characters. There's nothing wrong with putting a lot of energy into creating a believable setting, and there's nothing wrong taking some time to really immerse the audience in it, to let them "drink in" some of your visuals.

But once you start to meander, fawning around your own evocation of a time and a place, and letting the story lag behind, you've failed as a storyteller.

This is a well-beaten argument obviously, but I'd still point out that not all films have to be driven by story or characters. Sometimes films can be about manifesting a condition or a world, as long as it has something to say about it.

I don't think Once Upon a Time succeeds on either front.

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

QT is one of the few, maybe the only director who confronts America's racist history straight on.

And he goes nowhere with it in H8. Django, however, is another story that may even be the most relevant film about racism of the past decade.

52 minutes ago, KK said:

This is a well-beaten argument obviously, but I'd still point out that not all films have to be driven by story or characters. Sometimes films can be about manifesting a condition or a world, as long as it has something to say about it.

I don't think Once Upon a Time succeeds on either front.

Obviously if someone wants to make a “Cinéma Pur”-type film, more power to them. I mean, I won’t be watching it or anything, but to each his own.

But, as you say, Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood isn’t that: it is a film that is trying to tell a character story, but constantly gets bogged down in showing off its setting. I mean, you can blend the two, but for my money 99% of the time that fails rather than succeed.

I do still like the finale, though. I like the atmosphere of the wee hours of the night in this villa, and the showdown is hysterical.

7 hours ago, KK said:

...as long as it has something to say about it.

Art doesn't have to say anything. Although one could argue Once Upon A Time In Hollywood says a lot about Tarantino. After all, they say it's his most personal film. We're seeing his view on Hollywood, not the true Hollywood one might find in a documentary. 

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

OUTIH is literally a love or hate film.

I don't hate it ...

That means you love it. :lol:

32 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Art doesn't have to say anything. Although one could argue Once Upon A Time In Hollywood says a lot about Tarantino. After all, they say it's his most personal film.

That means you love it. :lol:

Well, I have a more nuanced take than the fan boys or the haters!

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

It can't have been that successful, if not for this message board I simply would have forgotten it by now.

It opened well, but was not a huge hit.

QT gets more press than box office He doesn't have the mass appeal of someone like Nolan

DU is his only real smash hit iirc.

H

But, he's cool!

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Great! The ones I always disagree with don't like it. There is order in the world after all!

I'm glad Publicist "forgot about it".

It spared us one of his pretentious, NEW YORKER length film reviews!. 😆

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Art doesn't have to say anything.

Not in the sense of necessarily saying something intellectual, no.

Its enough for the drama of the piece to have a fullfiling catharsis. As for Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood... I mean, I laughed at all the violence at the end, but that's the extent of its impact on me.

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Well, I have a more nuanced take than the fan boys or the haters!

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I'm glad Publicist "forgot about it".

It spared us one of his pretentious, NEW YORKER length film reviews!. 😆

I don't have anything against you, but still, as far as pretentiousness and fanboyism goes, you have much more of that than pub.

Actually, pub is one of this board's best writers. Although, members who struggle with their "comprehensive reading" might find his prose a bit unwieldy, I suppose. 

It's a message board.

Short and succinct comments 

Save the essays for IMDB.😊

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't have anything against you, but still, as far as pretentiousness and fanboyism goes, you have much more of that than pub.

SOURCE?

On 9/30/2020 at 10:07 AM, Disco Stu said:

I wanted to live inside Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  Loved it.

Fine words man. The fairy tale quality of the film Drew me in to an era I grew up in but was vastly different than what I remember. It's nice to think of a world where Sharon Tate lived. 

On a side note none of this film discussion belongs in this thread. 

Actually, pub is one of this board's best writers. Although, members who struggle with their "comprehensive reading" might find his prose a bit unwieldy, I suppose. 

Of course, YOU would say that. He's your role model. 😆 

I look forward to you posting his bibliography. 😎

22 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

On a side note none of this film discussion belongs in this thread. 

Yeah, because here on JWFan we never digress from the main topic of the conversation...