What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Maleficent. Oh dear, now this is a really bad film. Feels more like a 90-minute montage than a story - and very choppy at that. Some shoddy effects. And Jolie doesn't quite pull it off to the extent I was hoping.

Watched it on a flight and it wasn't that bad. Apart from some expected contrivances it kind of breezed by. The JNH enchanted me only really during the flight sequences.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maleficent. Oh dear, now this is a really bad film. Feels more like a 90-minute montage than a story - and very choppy at that. Some shoddy effects. And Jolie doesn't quite pull it off to the extent I was hoping.

I tried to warn you, but you wouldn't listen!

Isn't this an old movie?

It's a new old film, so I guess it's OK. Or not. At the end of the day, only KM can tell us where we should talk about this film. Maybe we should ask him everytime before talking about a film.

Interesting . . . I don't think I'd consciously realized it until reading the earlier comments, but I haven't read any critics reviews in quite a while. And I used to. A lot. Especially back when Ebert was around. Even then, however, I don't think I ever read a review ahead of a movie in order to make a decision on whether to see it or not. I would either read reviews for films I didn't plan to see, just to get a feel for the buzz around it, or after I'd seen the movie, either to nod or groan in agreement (kinda like a cinema junkie support group). I can usually tell ahead of time whether I'm going to be interested in a movie, and I've disagreed with too many critics—even Ebert, on occasion—to let them influence my moviegoing decisions.

Any films this decade are new.

See its when you get OCD micro managers that shit like this happens. For most of this sites existence last film you watched wasn't predicated by the age of the film .

But... the score is really good, even better than I expected from soundtrack album. And quite well mixed, too. Would like to have it complete and chronological. Makes more sense this way (themes especially) than its puzzling and confusing album listening experience.

Karol

I liked the film more than you did, but we agree about the music. Seeing the film made me appreciate the score even more, and I was glad I saw it for that reason alone.

BTW, if you want to listen to the Maleficent OST in chronological order, I posted the order here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5544&page=29#entry1012176

I do generally like album presentations. But this one doesn't make much sense. And it's not about the narrative but introductions of themes, flow. Doesn't work. When watching the film last night I had this "ah, I get it now" moment.

Karol

OCD rears it's ugly head.. Rarely do I worry about a chronological order for music, with a few exceptions here and there.

What is wonderful is the total and complete opposite thoughts films can evoke in people. Karol being a polar opposite of so many others.

It's not really about OCD. Some film music just doesn't work out of order. Especially the ones that's based on smaller themes, as opposed to one big tune. With Maleficent soundtrack album, I don't really get a sense what's what and where is this going. And it definitely lacks Maleficent's introduction, with her innocent theme at the beginning of the film. It kind of jumps straight into the fairies dance, if you ignore the suite (that doesn't really present any melody as the principal one).

Karol

Sounds exactly like ocd. But I guess when a big portion of your life you listened to albums and had no real choice to alter the order unless your were compelled to stand by the turntable and play it track by track.

OCD rears it's ugly head.. Rarely do I worry about a chronological order for music, with a few exceptions here and there.

What's OCD about having music in an order that provides a musical narrative? Would you call it OCD too if I told you that I preferred to hear themes the way they were composed instead of scrambled into a random order of notes?

Yea, Karol's right here. I certainly don't think that film music only works in chronological order, and there are many score albums I enjoy that aren't in chronological order at all, like the album's for Star Trek 2 TWOK, Aliens, Stargate, Waterworld, etc. But it has to be judged on a case by case basis.

The Malificent score album is weird. It's not only wildly out of order, but JNH chose a lot of non essential cues over some highlights, like the opening main title music and some other introductory stuff. I dunno why, his albums are usually well put together from what I'm familiar with.

I can't speak specifically about it because I didn't purchase it. I remember thinking it worked well in the film.

I saw the movie and it opened with WELCOME TO THE MOORS and then went into MALEFICENT FLIES. What elaborate introduction was missing on the album?

No, there is a opening cue in which Howard introduces his Maleficent theme gently on a solo horn before seguing into a folksy-like fiddle snippet for opening narration. The chorus enters. After that, there's a scene with little Maleficent on a tree, in which Howard quotes her theme again on a gentle piano. That lovely little piece then leads into the Moors cue (it starts when she jumps off a tree). Somehow, I miss it on album.

And yes, Joey. The score as heard in film is very good.

Karol

If it wasn't so much work, people should edit movies to be in the same order as their wildly out of order soundtrack albums. Then you'd see why it's so important to some people who can see the movie/story in their head as the music plays.

I'm not sure I quite understand when composers say they order the tracks to provide the best listening experience. If the music tells the same story as the movie for which it was written, then how is the natural order not the best listening experience every time?

I'm not sure I quite understand when composers say they order the tracks to provide the best listening experience. If the music tells the same story as the movie for which it was written, then how is the natural order not the best listening experience every time?

Oh please. Have you listened to the original albums of Wrath of Khan, Star Wars, Total Recall, Aliens, Temple of Doom, Waterworld? They flow perfectly fine.

Of course, their complete and chronological presentations are great too. But the composer did not fail at making a perfectly acceptable listening experience the first time around.

The music on CD first and foremost doesn't tell a story but exists as absolute music, so narrative film rules don't necessarily apply.