What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Thanks everyone. Just remember your loved ones this time of year, those with you and those who are not.

He was 51. Iknew him for 25 of those. He was my movie buddy for everything but horror movies he drew the line there.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We decided to honor our friend by going to the picture show and eating at Red Lobster.

Neither of us wanted to watch Aquaman without John. Will catch it later. Instead went to see the new Bumblebee. We had a blast at Bumblebee.  Finally a Transformer film I not only tolerate but actually enjoyed. We may go tomorrow and see Mary Poppins..

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Robert Zemeckis' new movie Welcome To Marwen seems to be one of the biggest flops at the 2018 BO. Needless to say, we all feel for Disco Stu.

marwen1.jpg

4.2 mil on its opening w/e, against a 50mil budget? Cost-to-take, it's probably the biggest flop of the year.

Hardly the biggest flop

Robin Hood and that shit looking film Mortal Engines cost far more.

As much as I liked Spiderverse, I'm getting pretty burned out on movies where everyone's telling the main character "You're special, you're meant to do great things, you have something I've never seen before".

3 hours ago, Obi said:

The Predator, very funny, 2000 ideas (not all good), Olivia Munn and a lot of gore.

Love it.

tumblr_pjehlf2Lkc1tdkro1o3_400.gif

You gotta  be joking. Its a train wreck.

Aquaman is okay. Thats a compliment for DC whose management team is overly ambitious. 

The film is overproduced. It is too much. It needed Less so it could be more. 

Its best when Kidman is on screen. The actor who played Jango Fett was not bad.

Also watched Bird Box. It is what The Happening should have been.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:22 PM, Fancyarcher said:

Saw Aquaman and Mary Poppins Returns over the holiday season. Enjoyed both, though Poppins was more delightful. My reviews.

https://dailyuv.com/972351

https://dailyuv.com/972441

I agree with you.

On 12/30/2018 at 4:16 AM, JoeinAR said:

The film is overproduced. It is too much. It needed Less so it could be more. 

And this from a TOD apostle!

43 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And this from a TOD apostle!

There is no comparison. TOD never approches the excess in Aquaman. Aquaman is cgi overload. TOD uses none.

TOD had some marvelously innovative special effects. Aquaman did not.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

There is no comparison. TOD never approches the excess in Aquaman. Aquaman is cgi overload. TOD uses none.

Not that I disagree with your final conclusion, but is the quality of a film determined by such superficial elements as which one uses CG and which one doesn’t? Or is the quality of film determined by the quality of its narrative, themes, characters and the directing of all those elements?

Just now, Chen G. said:

Not that I disagree with your final conclusion, but is the quality of a film determined by such superficial elements as which one uses CG and which one doesn’t? Or is the quality of film determined by the quality of its narrative, themes, characters and the directing of all those elements?

Either way one is a classic and the other is the current box office it. There is genius behind TOD. There is well thought out Marketing behind Aquaman. And there is nothing wrong with Aquaman not being as good as TOD, it stands on its own.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Not that I disagree with your final conclusion, but is the quality of a film determined by such superficial elements as which one uses CG and which one doesn’t? 

Yes, if the CG is superficial.  

TOD is better acted, better directed, clearly better scored and the stakes are high but not another save the Goddamn planet story.

And TOD wins hands down just for the great Busby Berkeley style opening.

11 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Either way one is a classic and the other is the current box office it

I assure you, Temple of Doom was very much the "current box office it" of its time, and by design.

That isn't to say that I, for a moment, claim that its in any way shape or form, comparable to Aquaman; and this is coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of Temple of Doom.

11 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It's definitely not as good as The Last Crus--wait a minute....

Don't make me slap slap slap you silly. 

TOD is the only Indy film where you do not fully see the title.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

TOD had some marvelously innovative special effects. Aquaman did not.

Strange comparison. CGI wasn't a thing when TOD was being made. 

Temple of Doom is certainly excessive. Just look at its production design, especially in the temple scenes. Brilliantly crafted and a wonder to look at, but excessive nonetheless. I would say it is one of the film’s strengths, though.