Jump to content

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)


King Mark
 Share

Recommended Posts

It succumbs to a couple of the usual superhero tropes, but it does everything else so well and so differently that I’m really not bothered by it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched the new Suspiria remake not long ago. It is a surprisingly good movie with a personality of its own. It doesn't just retell the same story but also takes a completely different approach. It's not perfect by any means but might be a new favourite of mine. Good stuff.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot about that one. I thought it was pretty bad. Stopped watching. Same for Call Me By Your Name, which I almost watched in its entirety yesterday. It felt like I was watching a movie about a paedophile. The two didn't have any kind of chemistry together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't remember much except for bad acting, nothing appealing, ... I expected a strange visual trip but it felt normal and rather boring. Watched it with the kid and he was happy that I suggested to watch something else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So it's bad because you were expecting something else? I liked it precisely because it avoided fancy visuals. It's more interesting and original. There's nothing more unsettling than horrific stuff happening in the seemingly mundane world.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed. It's much more subtle and relies more on ambiance than you might expect. But it's strange in many different ways. And pretty horrifying by the time you get to the end.

 

It is rough around the edges though, and too long. Still, good film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So it's bad because you were expecting something else?

 

 

Don't forget bad acting, normal (common, ordinary) execution, and boring!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Climax

 

It's not overly bloody, but it's disturbing and watching it I felt like I had taken LSD myself. I couldn't sit through all of it, it just alienated me. If Gaspar Noe set off to make a movie about the dangers of LSD, then he got it in the most nihilistic and disturbing way possible.

 

Bleh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shazam!

 

Caught the early preview tonight and it plays out like a slightly darker Marvel Studios film. The stakes are real and it gets quite scary in places, but it's also quite funny and pokes fun at superhero tropes. Zachary Levi is hilarious in the titular role, and is ably supported by a great supporting cast-- including Asher Angel as his teen counterpart. Mark Strong does a typically solid job as the antagonist, but he's played the bad guy so much he could do it in his sleep. There's a Spielbergian vibe running throughout the film that sets it apart from other superhero films, like the foster home setting during Christmastime. And it's a rare film where the best scenes are in the actual film and not spoiled in countless trailers.

 

I honestly want to see this again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Matt C said:

Shazam!

 

Caught the early preview tonight and it plays out like a slightly darker Marvel Studios film. The stakes are real and it gets quite scary in places, but it's also quite funny and pokes fun at superhero tropes. Zachary Levi is hilarious in the titular role, and is ably supported by a great supporting cast-- including Asher Angel as his teen counterpart. Mark Strong does a typically solid job as the antagonist, but he's played the bad guy so much he could do it in his sleep. There's a Spielbergian vibe running throughout the film that sets it apart from other superhero films, like the foster home setting during Christmastime. And it's a rare film where the best scenes are in the actual film and not spoiled in countless trailers.

 

I honestly want to see this again. 

 

What?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2019 at 2:07 AM, Stefancos said:

 

What?

 

Fandango had an exclusive advance screening promotion for Shazam! here in North America, just on Saturday March 23 two weeks before it came out. 

 

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/shazam-is-coming-to-theaters-two-weeks-early-753643

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

What other two entries?

It is the third part of the "American Frontier Trilogy":

  1. Sicario (2015)
  2. Hell or High Water (2016)
  3. Wind River (2018)

I just bought it and hope that it's as good as the other two.:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this an actual thing or just something the internet threw together? I haven’t seen Hell Or High Water but Wind River is excellent. Brutal and unflinching thriller. Sheridan is my favorite writer working today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Is this an actual thing or just something the internet threw together? I haven’t seen Hell Or High Water but Wind River is excellent. Brutal and unflinching thriller. Sheridan is my favorite writer working today. 

It is generally seen as a thematic trilogy, less like Spielberg's Fugitive Trilogy and more like von Trier's Depression Trilogy. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Wind River and still I doubt that it will exceed Sicario, which is hardly possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wind River wasn't bad. Another of those bleak wilderness movies, they're generally worth watching. I've mostly forgotten the details though, since it didn't stand out in any way when all is said and done.

 

Hell or High Water was another Jeff Daniels' aged drawl vehicle (he relishes any opportunity to showcase his authentic accent these days). The usual crime drama with a western style that takes absolutely fucking ages to tell its banal story.

 

As for Sicario, can I swap it out for Bone Tomahawk insead? I've seen that one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Simple Favor (6/10)

 

For the most part, it's solid.

 

A very good example for:

 

1) How the ending can ruin a film

2) What happens if style took over content

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Us. It is not really a horror film as much as it is a M. Night Shyamalan type of supernatural thriller. It is fairly well directed and I was enjoying a lot of it. However, the tonal shifts sometimes took me out of the movie -- at certain points it tries to be terrifying and then turns very tongue in cheek tongue in a matter of seconds where any logic goes out of the window. But then, I suppose it is a bit of a satire anyway so we're not supposed to be treating it too seriously. Shame, because it sort of deflates the scary elements and the film is also oddly devoid of any graphic violence. I think the cast was quite good and Lupita Nyong'o especially helps us buy even the most ridiculous material. I liked the distinctive score which manages avoids both the "slasher" and "sound design wallpaper" clichés that plague a lot of the horror films. Overall, it was sort of enjoyable... and sort of frustrating --- often at the same time. But I don't regret seeing it.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's being hailed as a masterpiece. But my friend, who was really looking forward to it says it was pretty disappointing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was everything I expected. Disturbingly good. The acting was really good. Clearly they had a blasf. Yes Karol is correct about the logic issues but also about the score. It clicked with me too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

 

It's not disturbing or frightening? 

It is a horror  film

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooo what's this, another new scary film to look out for that is potentially worth it? A rare beast! So many let downs in this genre, possibly the most reliably disappointing genre of them all.

 

Having said that, the last one I saw was Hereditary. That one actually delivered, by and large. An effective spooky drama with a wicked finale! I liked it a fair bit, even if the film's singularly most unnerving moment came and went in the opening fifteen minutes of the entire run. Probably the most disarmingly eerie shot of a spectral being I've ever seen in a movie! *shudder*

 

I will definitely be watching Us soon.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Ooo what's this, another new scary film to look out for that is potentially worth it? A rare beast! So many let downs in this genre, possibly the most reliably disappointing genre of them all.

 

Having said that, the last one I saw was Hereditary. That one actually delivered, by and large. An effective spooky drama with a wicked finale! I liked it a fair bit, even if the film's singularly most unnerving moment came and went in the opening fifteen minutes of the entire run. Probably the most disarmingly eerie shot of a spectral being I've ever seen in a movie! *shudder*

 

Spoiler

Which part was that?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Quintus said:
  Hide contents

Ghost Mum right near the beginning of the film.

 

Spoiler

The pivotal car accident (+ the aftermath shot) and the "Naked Guy Closet Scene" are what got to me the most from the movie. 

A lot more effective than most horror films I've seen

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:
  Hide contents

The pivotal car accident (+ the aftermath shot) and the "Naked Guy Closet Scene" are what got to me the most from the movie. 

A lot more effective than most horror films I've seen

 

 

Easily the most haunting scene in the film. The stuff of real nightmares.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was the wost thing a horror film can be Zzzzzzzzz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dumbo

 

It’s really just your bog standard Tim Burton film. Nothing particularly spectacular but a pleasant family viewing experience. Danny Elfman’s score stands out where it’s meant to. The main villain isn’t particularly great. With Danny DeVito and Michael Keaton in the cast, it may as well have been a sequel to Batman Returns!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bumblebee

 

It's actually refreshing to see a Transformers movie where we like the human leads -- and that's due to Hailee Steinfeld and a terrific supporting cast (especially John Cena and Pamela Adlon). Steinfeld, director Travis Knight and the VFX artists work to sell the improbable friendship between her character and the titular robot character. At times it doesn't feel like a big studio film, but a slice-of-life indie. And thanks to writer Christina Hodson, we're not forced-fed expositional dialogue like in the Bayformer movies, but shown in a smooth and organic fashion. Of course, being a Transformers movie, there is the obligatory robot-on-robot action but it's coherently staged and edited. And it serves the story, rather than the other way around.

 

I really enjoyed this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shazam! It was cheesy and old fashioned...but in a good way. Yet another "Captain Marvel" film that feels like something from the 1990's. It's all mostly predictable and a few beats too long... but really enjoyable overall. It had heart which is the most important thing.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So like Wonder Woman?

Not really, WW was dour and grim in comparison. This is a pure comedy. Enjoyable but probably about 20-30 minutes too long.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2019 at 6:01 AM, crocodile said:

Not really, WW was dour and grim in comparison. This is a pure comedy. Enjoyable but probably about 20-30 minutes too long.

 

Karol

 

It's interesting how John Glover gets cast in a lot of DC properties as a villain/villain's parents. First it was Batman & Robin as Dr. Jason Woodrue, then the voice of the Riddler in the "Superman/Batman" animated series, then Lex's father in "Smallville" and then Sivana's domineering father in Shazam! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2019 at 10:03 PM, crocodile said:

Shazam! It was cheesy and old fashioned...but in a good way. Yet another "Captain Marvel" film that feels like something from the 1990's. It's all mostly predictable and a few beats too long... but really enjoyable overall. It had heart which is the most important thing.

 

Karol

 

See this'll be one I take Bruce to see. Looks good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.