What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Endgame does work much better, until that last hour, and than it goes downhill like no movie I recall from recent memory. The setting's bland, the setpice too overstuffed, the action too long (with no reprieve), some of the characters really devolve in terms of motivations and goals (especially Thanos) and their forces are inconsistent. Some lines and development undercut the sense of stakes. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I wanted it to be good...but it just wasn't.

The final part plays very much like the final part of Ready Player One, in that's it's pure geek wish fulfilment. But Spielberg gave it more flair and style.

The Russo brothers are very effective blockbuster film makers though.

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I wasn't talking about an actual enforceable rule though, which wouldn't only be a bit daft, but is also quite different to the term I used above. The phrase rule of thumb refers to a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation. It refers to an easily learned and easily applied procedure or standard, based on practical experience rather than theory.

Of course, but you were talking about the fact that the Avengers series (apparently) fails to adhere to this rule of thumb as a failure on the part of its creators. It doesn't appear to be a creative or financial failure, as the film seems to be going down very well with a huge audience, and it would only be a failure of responsibility if they were trying to sell it as a stand-alone film under false pretenses.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

But Spielberg gave it more flair and style.

Spielberg knows how to do action. He knows that one of the oldest rules in the book is that any action sequence needs to be staged in such a way that it can't take place anywhere but where it did. For that end, the action needs to explore, impact, interact with and use the environment in which its set.

In The Avengers, setting the final battle in New York meant that Hawkeye could fire from atop buildings, that Cap had to save civilians, that cars were being used, etcetra. Ditto the use of Sokovia in Age of Ultron, and even the bland airport in Avengers 2.5. Even Titan in Infinity War, which was akin to the final stage here in that it was all rubble, allowed Thanos to throw a moon at Tony.

But this? Nothing.

And it accelerates much too rapidly. The film is substantially longer than any previous film in the series, and is surprisingly light on action. And than, in the final fifty minutes, delivers a 30-minute onslaught with absolutely no reprieve.

I think I only enjoyed two MCU movies: the first Iron Man and the first Guadians of the Galaxy. I tried watching some of the other ones, but after a while I just gave up

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its very character based.

Yeah, on the character of Thanos being devolved into your usual Marvel villain...

It does. But still.

And the MCU didn't earn the right to steal Edward Longshanks' tactics (you know the one). Made all the more stupid because none of the heroes were harmed by it. Lord knows you can't let that happen in a Marvel movie!

Spoiler

Thanos, pinned down by Scarlet Witch, orders a bombardment on the battlefield, killing his own troops in the process. Plus, Doctor Strange (I think) shields all the returning characters so none of the heroes are actually hurt in this. Go figure.

Dear movie, when you rip off Braveheart, you're making it personal!

That, plus the relish that the character suddenly exhibits (both in claiming enjoyment in wreaking havoc and in some of the lines "you won't be alive to tell them") really undermine his characterisation from the previous film.

18 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

the producers knew exactly what they were doing. 

Of course they did, that's a given. But do you realise you just wheeled out the oldest internet strawman in the book? It's like me sayin', "well the latest X-Factor winners song is about to go to number one in the charts and the ratings for the show are great, so Simon Cowell knew exactly what he was doing."

Yeah these entertainments make a shit ton of cash, but it basically speaks fuck all about the quality of the content.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Of course they did, that's a given. But do you realise you just wheeled out the oldest internet strawman in the book? It's like me sayin, "well the latest X-Factor winners song is about to go to number one in the charts and the ratings for the show are great, so Simon Cowell knew exactly what he was doing."

Yeah these entertainments make a shit ton of cash, but it basically speaks fuck all about the quality of the content.

Quality doesn’t matter. Making $$$ does. Honestly it sounds like you’re bummed because you’re missing out on a big pop culture phenomenon. 

13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Quality doesn’t matter. Making $$$ does. Honestly it sounds like you’re bummed because you’re missing out on a big pop culture phenomenon. 

Missing out? I'm sure he'll be allowed to buy a ticket if he should hit his head and then feel like seeing the film.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Anvengers, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America: Civil War: Guardians Of The Galaxy.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Essential:

Iron Man

The Avengers

Thor 2

Avengers: Infinity War

You can also add Captain America 1 and 2, if you really feel like it.

I've actually seen four of these, ending with Guardians of the Galaxy. So this is not as bad as I was expecting it to be. Assuming I don't need to see the other Guardians movies too, that is.

I'd squeeze Ragnarok in, because I fancied it at the time but never got around to it.

So basically, all of the movies above, including the Avengers sequels. Where would I insert each Avengers sequel into the sequence?

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

Between that and Avengers 2, these prerequisites aren't helpful in motivating me to find out what all the fuss is about with this latest one.

I've only watched a handful of the Marvel flicks (certainly not even close to 20), and I definitely did not watch Thor 2 and I managed fine.

1 hour ago, KK said:

I've only watched a handful of the Marvel flicks (certainly not even close to 20), and I definitely did not watch Thor 2 and I managed fine.

Psst, I had a feeling about the sorts of responses I'd be getting earlier on the subject anyway, if you know what I mean...

We're talking about trailer analyst extraordinaires here, geeky hobbyists and the like. I knew the info I was asking to be fed would be heavily slanted towards completionism in the replies ;)

I bet any fucker could watch these Avengers movies and know whether they're good or not. 

"B-but the MCU is a ring cycle made up of several movements within a greater operatic narrative!" You can't just hope to understand its many complexities if you come at it from the wrong phase first!"

Hehehe, it's frickin' wise cracks, spaceship pew pew, spandex muscles and merchandise, from where I'm sitting mate. 

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

All they want is for Joe to like them.

And Joe did. He isnt some phoney suck up that shoots a wad over shit like Roma. 

And Chen's take on the last hour is just  ramblings of someone who took film lecture too serious and does not have the necessary tools(yet) to just relax and enjoy a film emotionally. 

I guess being jaded is something everyone has to be at some point

52 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Hehehe, it's frickin' wise cracks, spaceship pew pew, spandex muscles and merchandise, from where I'm sitting mate. 

Haha. In-freaking-deed.

And don't let them fool you, this ain't no operatic end-of-era master work nor culture-shifting magnum opus.  It's about 30min too long, but it's a fun ride. Designed to work for all the masses I think, fanboys and casual viewers alike.

12 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I don't recall Age of Ultron being too meaningfuly referenced in this film. Watching it is hardly a prerequisite.

It is referred to in that last part of the film you disliked.

I think I've seen all MCU movies except Captain Marvel. 

1. Avengers Infinity War

2. Guardians of the Galaxy

3. Thor: Ragnarok

4. Captain America: the First Avenger

The first Cap America had a cool retro-futurisric sheen that is quite pleasing to me. Gives it some character that most others lack. For that and for its earnest title character I included in my list of MCU movies I'm willing to watch more than once. The rest... Nah. Once is enough. 

I'll get around to watching Endgame a second time some day to see how it ages. But I just rewatched Infinity War yesterday and it is just a more satisfying movie than Endgame. 

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

It is referred to in that last part of the film you disliked.

Yeah, I know.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

And Chen's take on the last hour is just  ramblings of someone who took film lecture too serious and does not have the necessary tools (yet) to just relax and enjoy a film emotionally. 

I assure you I do. I really liked what I was seeing for the first two hours. It didn't want to dislike the last hour: I sad that I don't like it.

I like liking movies.

Avengers : Endgame - not terrible or anything, but overlong (read a couple of things that said it doesn't feel like 3 hours, but that's bullshit ... as Chen G has pointed out, it's kinda light on action which doesn't help) and I think I preferred Assemble and Infinity War.