King Mark

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer films)

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Critics thought Uncut Gemswa s  near masterpiece.

Audiences didn't. Even Thor hated it! 😆

Piece of crap that I stopped watching halfway thru.

31 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Which is why it's officially a Netflix Original because there would be no Uncut Gems outside the US without distribution. 

Rightm

It's so awful it couldn't get theatrical distribution

14 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Audiences didn't.

Audience: Adam Sandler doesn't have superpowers? Boring!

14 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It's so awful it couldn't get theatrical distribution

It was released theatrically in the US (limited release). Outside the US, teens are only interested in superpowers, Bond, Nolan, and lightsabers.

40 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Which is why it's officially a Netflix Original because there would be no Uncut Gems outside the US without distribution. 

I believe that for a movie or TV show to be called a Netflix Original, it needs to be produced BY Netflix. In Uncut Gems' case, it wasn't produced by Netflix, they didn't invest any money in the making of the movie. They just distributed it.

But that's just semantics, I think, we can argue about this for hours without reaching a consent :lol:

59 minutes ago, AC1 said:

What do you mean "after the fact"? After they made the movie?

Yes

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I believe that for a movie or TV show to be called a Netflix Original, it needs to be produced BY Netflix. In Uncut Gems' case, it wasn't produced by Netflix, they didn't invest any money in the making of the movie. They just distributed it.

But that's just semantics, I think, we can argue about this for hours without reaching a consent :lol:

I know, but what  if I told you they were only able to make this movie thanks to Netflix? A theatrical release in the US is risky (and very expensive) but a Netflix international distribution deal makes all the difference. No distribution, no movie. That's how it has always been. Yes, officially Netflix didn't act as producer but who do you think paid the biggest check? They (the Safdies) already won before they made the movie. And that gives Netflix the right to call it a Netflix Original (outside the US).

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Maybe, but they had a rough year and Tenet was their last hope to turn the tide. And from what I hear, AMC theatres are in financial trouble. 

As a rule I avoid AMC

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes

They had a deal with Netflix months before they started shooting.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

As a rule I avoid AMC

What's good?

We use Regal and Cinemark almost exclusively.  Cinemark has the best theatres. All elect. Reclining leather seats. The best prices on concessions and modern screens. My understanding is they are gearing up for a upgrade because they expect 2022 to feature a glass-less 3D presentation of Avatar. Regal is closer to my house but it hasn't been upgraded in 6 years. Were getting new drive-in theatres too.

The Devil All the Time - or that movie in which Batman, Spider-Man, the Winter Soldier, Alice in Wonderland and Pennywise are all hillbillies in this movie produced by Mysterio.

With this name, I was expecting a pretty dark horror movie, but this is more of a drama with some thriller aspects. The cast is pretty good and the plot is interesting and even touching sometimes. The direction and cinematography are great, but what surprised me the most was that I really liked the score. Danny Bensi and Saunder Juriaans' work here has some hints of Thomas Newman, maybe some Alexandre Desplat, and fits the movie very well. I loved the hypnotic pianos that played throughout most of the film.

Enola Holmes

I went with very low expectations towards this "Sherlock Holmes... but with feminism!" new Netflix movie, but I was surprised. It's a fun family friendly flick, with an endearing performance by Millie Bobby Brown. The movie unfortunately is longer than it needs to be, and some CGI backgrounds are pretty bad, but still it's a decent movie to watch with your kids.

ONCE UPON A TIME..HOLLYWOOD

I was disappointed.

It started off great. But, once we got to that awful scene with the girl on set....:(

Pitt was great. Wish the film was centered on him.

DiCaprio character just wasn't that compelling.

Lots of enjoyable bits but didn't add up to a satisfying whole.

Way too long . Too much seems aimed for film geeks.

Check out BAD TIMES.AT THE EL ROYALE

A terrific film with similar theme and setting!

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's one of his best but it's not for kids.

Nah.

HATEFUL 8 was a masterpiece.

No comparison.

DJANGO was very good. JACKIE BROWN very good.

Not a bad film, but not one of his better efforts.

If you aren't a film and TV buff like me, you probably won't like it at all.

I did the love the conceit that Dicap made FOUR films in Italy- in SIX MONTHS!  😆

The Hateful Eight is too much of a Tarantino stage play for me. Silly of him to waste 70mm stock on it. 

It was also around that time when he said he wanted to stop making movies and write stage plays. Sigh ...

25 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The Hateful Eight is too much of a Tarantino stage play for me. Silly of him to waste 70mm stock on it. 

It was also around that time when he said he wanted to stop making movies and write stage plays. Sigh ...

You just don't get it, do you?

Well, do ya...PUNK!

2 hours ago, KK said:

Good scenes. Lame movie.

Right.

It's a few good scenes plus nostalgia.

Dalton was a really uniinteresting character to center a film around. A former star of a TV Western? Really, QT

Oh well. QT has always alternated good and not so good films.

Occasionally, he makes a great one (H8)

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I liked the finale of Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood.

Well, the thing with the pit bull was cool....😅

The flamethrower was funny also

20 hours ago, AC1 said:

From SERGIO LÉONE WEBSITE a-fistful-of-leone.com
"I don't think it is a stroke of genius, but also not a strange idea."
QT was not the first to use a wide format for an intimate film."

BRUCE MARSHALL replied:

"People seem to think widescreen means outdoor panoramic vistas.
Shooting in Ultra Panavision would probably been indiscernible . In fact, most theatres probably had to letterbox H8 to fit the 2:40 screen
Anamorphic is actually well suited to indoor films with many characters.
It allows.the director to keep a large cast in frame - like a theatre play- without having to pan and cut constantly."

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Dalton was a really uniinteresting character to center a film around. A former star of a TV Western? Really, QT

I guess you hated Sunset Boulevard as well. I understand it's un-American to have sympathy for "a former star" because Americans only love a winner, but I thoroughly enjoyed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood from start to finish, which I can't always say about the ones you guys seem to prefer. Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight, Death Proof, ... They might contain good scenes but as a whole they failed to warm my heart. 

37 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

But, you didn't like CHERYNOBL....

Fake news! (I liked it but that's it)

37 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

You have no taste, Alex.😜

Says the guy movies were bad until the search for the ultimate blockbuster began. ;)

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I wanted to live inside Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  Loved it.

Exactly! It's a portrait of an era. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I think I really loved Hateful Eight precisely because of how stage play-e it was. I had no idea what to expect from the film at all actually, so it was quite surprising. I never expected to ever see such a thing as a Tarantino farce. 

It's a wonderful exercise in mounting tension in a restricted setting. Like the strongest scenes of Inglourious Basterds are. And the 70mm format fits it perfectly, including some wonderful split diopter shots.

I missed Hollywood in theatres and am still waiting for a good deal on the Blu. Amazon has it for €4 and advertises "free shipping", but when I actually try to order it, it says shipping to Austria is €30.

27 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's what documentaries are for.

What a strange thing to say. As if film can't be about a certain time period, its people, their lives, its social climate and the zeitgeist of that time. 

MV5BMTk3MDY3NDc2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODcw

No explosions, no monster, no villain, no superpowers. I guess this too is a documentary. Sigh ...

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

As if film can't be about a certain time period, its people, their lives, its social climate and the zeitgeist of that time. 

It can, but only as a setting for the story and its characters. There's nothing wrong with putting a lot of energy into creating a believable setting, and there's nothing wrong taking some time to really immerse the audience in it, to let them "drink in" some of your visuals.

But once you start to meander, fawning around your own evocation of a time and a place, and letting the story lag behind, you've failed as a storyteller.

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

I think I really loved Hateful Eight precisely because of how stage play-e it was. I had no idea what to expect from the film at all actually, so it was quite surprising. I never expected to ever see such a thing as a Tarantino farce. 

It had something to say, also.

QT is one of the few, maybe the only director who confronts America's racist history straight on.

I love that about him!