What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have that framed and hanged in your bedroom, right?

Quite a few of those wont happen, ofcourse.

For next year totally not interested in Ant-man, since they dont seem to be making it as a comedy and Fantastic Four.

It's difficult to say who is stronger without putting them in a battle to the death, and death is never absolute in comics because subsequent writers will retcon events. The video games aren't fair tests because anybody can probably beat anybody else and the engines aren't geared towards that level of simulated realism.

Captain America is extremely strong because of his genetic engineering, and he did survive deep freeze in the Arctic, but he's still mortal.

Thor is an immortal god on Earth, but in Asgard, he and his kind have limits,and his powers can be removed, making him mortal.

Iron Man is just a mortal in a very powerful metal suit. He's fragile.

Black Widow and Hawkeye are mortals with advanced martial arts and marksmanship training. They'd be hard to hit but aren't invincible.

The Hulk is the closest thing to an invulnerable unstoppable force the Avengers as shown have available. I don't know if he's immortal, but I also don't think anything can kill or hurt him.

Thor and the Hulk are the two Avengers who would probably stand the greatest chance against any of the X-Men or Brotherhood mutants in a battle of sheer strength and brute force. It's arguable whether Mjolnir, being made of a metal not of Earth and being magically linked to Thor, could be affected by Magneto. He might be able to deflect it but not control it, but that would be enough to disarm Thor. And if someone like Charles, Jean, or another psychic mutant could revert the Hulk back to Bruce Banner and keep him there, they could wait for him to die of old age, while any attack on Bruce would likely trigger the change into the Hulk.

Watched a good couple of films and TV episodes recently, so I'll be posting about them in the upcoming days.

Let's start with one of my most anticipated of the year.

Birdman-5.jpg

Birdman
Now this is a film where everything just works. I mean really, everyone involved in this film was clearly at their A-game. Fantastic cinematography (the long-take approach never seemed gimmicky), witty intelligent writing and really great performances all around. Not a single weak cast member. Even Zach Galifianakis was killing it! You'd think with all these "philosophical" ideas, dark comedy gags, characters and subplots that it'd be a mess, but it never is. Though the film never really sits still, every character has something important to add to this colourful collage that in the end, really does have something to say that the audience can connect to (whether it be its commentary on the current state of pop culture or simply the true virtue of ignorance in all our lives). And I honestly think Michael Keaton has a shot for the gold. Score was very good too.
I had high hopes for this film, and I was not disappointed. Not one bit.

Oh I just noticed it's out in my local cinema. It so happens I'm off tomorrow. :)

(If not tomorrow, then definitely within the next week)

EDIT: Seeing it on Sunday evening with some mates.

Karol

Has anybody besides King Mark seen Exodus: Gods and Kings?

Seems like this movie was a complete non-event. No buzz and no word of mouth, no nothing

Saw Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon this week. I had never seen these. They were new to me.

I liked The Maltese Falcon, didn't get Casablanca, I had to struggle to finish it. Maybe I'll try it again some day

Saw Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon this week. I had never seen these. They were new to me.

Sorry, that's not a rule. They are old movies.

I can't believe Jason bought Joey's logic.

Alex

I didn't.

I just enjoy talking about movies more than talking about methods of talking about movies

JFC there are whole decades of films worth watching and all you and Jay watch is the new stuff. It would be an insult to call you guys film buffs.

;)

JFC there are whole decades of films worth watching and all you and Jay watch is the new stuff. It would be an insult to call you guys film buffs.

;)

sorry I cant see them all but unlike you I make an effort. Of course Alex caught me in my lie. I have seen both before. I did have the advantage of tv showing old films when I was younger unlike today with transporter 2 showing 6 times in a row on tbs. Start watching movies from the 30's and 40's. Jason too.

boyhood-poster.jpg

Boyhood

Fascinating look at a child's life from age 6 to age 18, filmed in pieces once a year for 12 years. Mason and Samantha are brother and sister living with their single mother, played by Patricia Arquette. They occasionally get visits from their fun loving and somewhat immature dad, played by Ethan Hawke. Their mom relocates them to Houston so she can go back to school and get a better job to provide a better life for them, which is the first of many struggles the kids will go through. As time goes on their mom tries to date other men with varying results, and their dad changes as well. There's no reason to breakdown the plot because of the joys of the film is watching it all unfold organically.

While a basic plot outline might have been conceived before shooting began, as time went on they ended up writing each mini segment shortly before filming them, incorporating elements of they actor's real lives into the stories. It was interesting to look up after that Ethan Hawke was younger than I am now at the start of the movie, or that Patricia Arquette had an entire marriage begin and between the start of filming and the end.

The 3 main leads are all really strong, with the weakest link being Mason's sister, played by Linklater's own daughter. I think she was miscast because she not only doesn't look anything like Hawke and Arquette whatsoever, it seems she got less interested in being in her dad's movie as time went on, causing her character to get somewhat pushed aside. Just as well, as she tended to act the same way in every scene.

What I thought was interesting was that there was some kind of unspoken air of dread running throughout almost the whole picture. Every car driving scene felt like there was going to be a crash, every moment with drinking seemed like there was going to be an accident, etc. I don't know if this was an intention of Linklater or not, or if it was simply something within me giving the scenes that feel, but Marcy also had to close her eyes during some of the car driving scenes because she too thought a car accident was imminent (no worries; There are no car crashes in this movie). Anybody else have that experience?

I loved the way Linklater brought us through the years. It would have been a really bad idea to have some kind of fade out / fade in between each year, or to have any subtitles on the screen telling you what was going on. It was much more effective the way he did it, which was to basically not tell the viewer anything and keep you on your toes, keep you interested in the movie. Typically one scene would end and it would cut to something else, and it wouldn't be until a few shots in that you realized we are now in a different year (usually once you see Mason). This doesn't mean that it was ever jarring and annoying, because it wasn't, it was all handled really well.

It also never feels like a bunch of loosely connection short films; What happens in each year has permutations in the following year.

Music is used very effectively in film. In the opening scenes I felt like we were almost hit over the head with "the greatest alt rock hits of 2002!" to establish the setting, but then the music became more well integrated after that. I gotta look up the track list for that Black Album :)

I loved how and when it ended, with the "you don't seize the moment, moments seize you" talk. Good talk and good way to end the film.

If there was anything in the film that didn't work too well for me, was the final scene with Patricia Arquette.

Just seemed odd to be that she'd break down in front of her kid like that, and I felt like there was one or two missing pieces that might have set up her emotional state of mind better

I can see why this film is 100% on rotten tomatoes. It'd be really hard for anyone to give it a bad rating. It's not the most exciting story ever, but the methods used to make it and the final product are extremely interesting to watch. Though I do wonder how well it will play to non-Americans.

I don't know where you get the impression that I don't watch old movies Joey. I've seen the likes of The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Metropolis, It's A Wonderful Life, etc etc... And I continue to watch more films from that age when I get the chance.

I wasn't attacking you so much as showing you how naive it is to pick on someone because they didn't happen to see a particular film from an era they might already enjoy, as you did with Jay and I (with The Towering Inferno of all films too).

Well good then. I know Jason can't say the same. But still what you call B movies deserve viewing however Towering Inferno is an A list movie. You guys do collectively shy away from melodramatic films which is a shame.

I'll check it out then Joe. I wasn't avoiding it really, just never had the chance to check it out yet. It's on my list though.

1920s - dunno if I've seen any

1930s - dunno if I've seen any

1940s - The Maltese Falcon

1950s - War of the Worlds

1960s - The Pink Panther

1970s - Star Wars

quote from Jason.

I am so sorry that I don't have a perfect memory that can quickly recall every movie I've ever seen, Joey.

Can you PLEASE forgive me for this GRAVE INJUSTICE? Clearly, my movie viewing habits have a GREAT IMPACT on your daily life, and I hope I can do something to improve your life for you!!!

LOL jason, you're not that important. Sorry I remember most things I read here and I caught you in your lie.

Yes, I am so sorry that when I made that post I couldn't remember the 1920s and 1930s movies I had seen, and today I do. SO Sorry. It clearly hurt your feelings deeply, and I hope someday I can possibly make up this huge injustice I've done to your psyche. Please, please forgive me Joey, I can see how clearly important this all is to you.

don't worry about my feelings Jason, I personally don't care what you do I just have fun messing with you.

deciding what to see this afternoon. Unbroken or Into the Woods, might see Exodus tomorrow.

I really want to see The Imitation Game and Big Eyes

Was hoping to get movie theater gift cert for Christms, but I didn't