What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

I dunno, this whole thing here of criticising other people's tastes to make some sort of jokey point is a bore to me. I haven't seen Birdman, and I couldn't care less if anyone here thinks it's shit or the best thing since sliced bread. Either way, the snide pigeon holing thing that goes on you can shove it up your arse.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, this whole thing here of criticising other people's tastes to make some sort of jokey point is a bore to me.

Agreed.

No, this is a movie for the publicists of the world. It's high-octane, very talkative (actors verbally fighting all the time) and it comments (it satires) on the state of the movie industry.

Yeah, seems like a wise business move to make movies for people who have almost a zero postcount in JWFan's 'What is the last film you watched' thread...

What? It's 10 years old and you have 5x as much!

Nah, that thread was started in August 2011

Stefan (and Joey) like to beat jokes to the ground even if they didn't work the first time

OMG! Senility isn't a strong enough word any more!

I don't know how i can spell it more clearly: i hardly watch movies, i hardly post about them here (at least in relation to you and others), whatever you may think you have seen that suggests otherwise is just wrong - Jay's silly statistics aside, they only prove i sometimes interact here without necessarily talking about the movie. It's a FILM MUSIC messageboard, old man!

I dunno, this whole thing here of criticising other people's tastes to make some sort of jokey point is a bore to me. I haven't seen Birdman, and I couldn't care less if anyone here thinks it's shit or the best thing since sliced bread. Either way, the snide pigeon holing thing that goes on you can shove it up your arse.

I don't enjoy films much. But people's opinions on them I just find fascinating. Now, that gives me an idea for a website. ;)

Karol

OMG! Senility isn't a strong enough word any more!

I don't know how i can spell it more clearly: i hardly watch movies, i hardly post about them here (at least in relation to you and others), whatever you may think you have seen that suggests otherwise is just wrong - Jay's silly statistics aside, they only prove i sometimes interact here without necessarily talking about the movie. It's a FILM MUSIC messageboard, old man!

Okay, but you were wrong about your so-called zero post count. I hope you were just lying because senility isn't a laughing matter.

Strange, I think I only know you from the film threads.

That's because those are really the only ones you visit.

Perhaps Jay must straighten you out as well?

It's a FILM MUSIC messageboard, old man!

Actually, it's a forum about John Williams.

Okay, but you were wrong about your so-called zero post count. I hope you were just lying because senility isn't a laughing matter.

I was wrongly informed.

Has King Mark seen this yet?

Jupiter Ascending...I saw it today. I was expecting to like it better than the critics but it was terrible . The special effects were uninteresting and I could barely hear half the dialogue lines properly (everyone seemed to whisper or have some weird accent)

Also something was wrong with the mixing of the score..it seemed mixed at very low volume. Anyways Gia made zero impression

Wow I had the opposite experience in my theater

I could hear everything - dialogue and music - just fine, in fact the music was mixed very loudly in some key spots.

You're right though, the main bad guy, and even Jupiter to some degree, delivered their lines in a weird, whispering way too often

I think the theater was shit and not well calibrated sound wise

I had the impression the music was from the front only

Must have been an issue with the cinema setup. I thought the sound was mixed fine and music could be heard very well.

Karol - who watched/heard it in Atmos

Also something was wrong with the mixing of the score..it seemed mixed at very low volume. Anyways Gia made zero impression

Strange. I think there must have been a problem with your cinema. Giacchino's music had one of the most prominent mixes in years for me (aside from Zimmer's Interstellar). The choir had a real presence, far more than it did on album.

KM did you at least stay through the end credits to listen to Gia's score there?

yes, the credits weren't loud enough. Definitely something with the theater now that I think about it. The whole sound mix seemed off

I still like Mila Kunis. I hopes she lands in better movies

It draws in veterans of the recent Bush wars who haven't been able to talk to their families about their experiences and ordeal. This doctored story is for them. If it more accurately told the story without the inventions and hand holding, I would have seen it too. But I live far from a theater and I'm not going to advocate a war movie as a hot date night. Rental.

Whiplash

Pretty good flick. It's fairly over-the-top, but it's a movie and it adds a great dramatic air to everything. The editing could have been really solid, especially for a film wholly about music, and even more especially about rhythmic music. It only makes sense to cut in time with the drums, but there were times where the visuals and audio didn't sync and it took me out of the building suspense. I also thought its message was a bit mixed, bringing up the ethics of pushing someone beyond obsession and all rational thought. At first I thought it was going to swing back and side with friends and family and happiness over being the absolute best, but then it didn't. The climax was fantastic, but the lack of a denouement was another thing that took me out of it a bit.

I liked that it ended as it did. I think it's nicely balanced out by the refreshingly unconventional resolution to the girl subplot. He fucks up his chances, and that's it. There's no happy reunion where all is forgiven. You can get great in this way, but there's a price.