What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10433758_531278700309671_260787737410349

The Imitation Game

Flawed, but worthwhile film about the life of Alan Turing, mostly focusing on his time spent working with a team of codebreakers in Britain during World War 2 trying to crack the Nazi Engima code. The cast is great; The directing, cinematography, and music are all fine; It's the script that again is the difference between "fine but ultimately unimportant" and anything better.

The bulk of the film luckily takes up the majority of the screen time, as we follow Alan Turing from his interview with Commander Denniston (a fantastic Charles Dance) at Brittain's Bletchley Park through the forming of his crytography team, and their trials and tribulations as they crack the Enigma code by, essentially, inventing the computer. This is all great stuff. Unfortunately, as soon as Enigma is cracked, the film almost immediately comes off the rails, and barely rights itself before the credits are rolling.

The film purports that after cracking Enigma, rather than leaving it up to military minds to determine what coded messages to act on and which not to (in order to not let on that Enigma had been cracked), it was Turing's team that made all those decisions, which is absurdly ludicrous. And then there's another task they take on which also makes no sense. I have no problems with movies changing facts to make a better movie, but at least have them be plausible!

There is also a random subplot about a potential Soviet spy in their ranks that is over almost as soon as it's introduced, so why bother with it? The film also shows flashbacks to Turing's youth, which was well done and helped define the adult he became. Finally there's a framing device that attempts to explain what his life was like after the war. These scenes are easily the worst parts of the film. This part of his life is actually extremely interesting, yet the film glosses over it and includes it as almost an afterthought. Shame.

Only thing left to mention again is the cast, which was indeed great. I already mentioned Charles Dance, who while not straying too far from his stern Tywin Lannister character, still was a pleasure to watch. Benedict Cumberbatch was very good in the lead, as was all the members of his team - Matthew Goode, Keira Knightley, Allen Leech (from Downton Abbey) and Matthew Beard . Mark Strong is also in this as an MI6 agent.

So maybe about a 6/10 here. Worth seeing for the interesting story, but you'll probably end up reading more interesting details than you'll see on screen. As a cinematic journey it's alright, but could have been much better.

Yea I could maybe give it a 7/10. The plot is engaging, as you say, you really want these characters to crack the code, and know that Turing's computer is the way to do it. But trying to say that had a military strategy role after doing so was just ridic. And yes, the text at the end was annoying... especially since

There is debate on whether his death by cyanide was a suicide, or accidental

Really the text almost felt like something a studio mandated, it didn't feel organically tied to the rest of the movie at all

So maybe about a 6/10 here. Worth seeing for the interesting story, but you'll probably end up reading more interesting details than you'll see on screen. As a cinematic journey it's alright, but could have been much better.

I liked it, but as I said before, the script was too exaggerated in a standard Hollywood fashion. I was surprised at how many things about Turing I was unaware of, but nearly all of them seem to have been fabricated. And the film didn't even need it.

Nice, but utterly undeserving of its screenplay Oscar. The Theory of Everything was much better.

Yea, that's the whole point - why make up a bunch of stuff about Turing that never happened, when there was so much stuff he DID do that would have made for compelling cinema? It's like the idea of making a good film about Turing and the cracking of Enigma got lost along the way when some studio head saw the cast that was being drawn to the story and tried to make it more of an Oscar movie, and in doing so he made it less of a movie than it would have been. Pity.

The Theory Of Everything also had its fair share of inaccuracies! Apparently, Hawking was kind of a douche to his wife, while in the film, he's portrayed in a much better light.

It still seemed more "genuine" to me. Certainly dramatised and "filtered", but not in a way that made it seem fake to me. Except for the over-enthusiastic last few minutes perhaps.

But with a duller cast (with the exception of Redmayne), ugly look, and general blandness.

Ragnarok, in english subtitles,

not particularly engaging but I will stick it out.

The 15 first minutes of Birdman (2014).

Absolutely not my kind of movie... and the main reason why today I prefer TV series over movies.

But, The Theory of Everything: :up: :up:

Boyhood...

I only have one advice to Richard Linklater, the director of this movie: Next time you make a movie that take 12 years to do... write a scenario BEFORE. :sarcasm:

But with a duller cast (with the exception of Redmayne), ugly look, and general blandness.

Ugly? I loved some of the widescreen cinematography in ToE.

I found both movies to be on the same level (they're basically made from the same mold). In what way do you find The Theory Of Everything to be more genuine?

I didn't find the romance particularly sappy, and I didn't find it unnecessary. To me, it was primarily about the progression of Hawking's disease, and how he and his family dealt with it. How his wife struggled to balance her own life in the face of all this didn't, to me, seem like the glorified Hollywood kitsch love story it's generally said to be. And there wasn't any more of it than the story demanded.

The ending was a bit much with its spectacular optimism, but as far as I remember it was made up of authentic Hawking quotes, so I can't dismiss it as dishonest or inappropriate.

Ugly? I loved some of the widescreen cinematography in ToE.

That soft, fuzzy soap opera-ish look is what I'm referring to. And some of the scenes are excessively colour graded.

I understand he may have been going for a dreamy look, but it neither achieves that goal with success or conviction.

Absolutely not my kind of movie... and the main reason why today I prefer TV series over movies.

Ugh.

Agreed! I didn't like it either, but I watched the whole thing. I can't imagine why I'd start a movie and then not finish it.

Boyhood...

I only have one advice to Richard Linklater, the director of this movie: Next time you make a movie that take 12 years to do... write a scenario BEFORE. :sarcasm:

Disagreed! Aw man, you totally missed the point.

The Theory of Everything: :up: :up:

Aha! I haven't seen this one, but might tomorrow night. The tie breaker!

Boyhood...

Wow, it's been an expensive day, ey?

carolla04.jpg

Road Hard

One of those movies that has potential but ultimately falls completely flat. It's the story of a comedian (Adam Carolla playing a version of himself) who was popular in the 90's, but now hasn't had a show on TV in years and has returned to the road to do standup. He's divorced, living in the guest house of his former house where he ex-wife loves lives with her new boyfriend, and looking for a new tv gig to get relevant again.

The story had potential to be interesting, and being interspersed with standup bits throughout had potential to be funny, but it's missing any sense of magic to bring everything together. It's more of a series of scenes than a movie. Also, Carolla is not that good of an actor, and so surrounding himself with good ones (Diane Farr, Larry Miller, Jay Mohr, David Alan Grier, Illeana Douglas) only highlights that more rather than covering for it.

Many of the standup bits are indeed funny; However since I used to listen to his podcast for years I had heard ever one of them. There are a few other funny bits, though many suffer from poor staging and direction. Overall the film is not directed well - it's shot digitally and looks it, never feeling "cinematic" at all. Every shot looks like a youtube video or something.

Oh well.

Boyhood...

Most tedious awful film we have ever sat through. It's unanimously praised but I don't actually know a single person who liked it or cared.

Actual people I have physically met.

I need to see a movie at the theatre bad but nothing calls to me.

There's nothing playing right now.

Maybe Birdman, Whiplash, Theory of Everything, Imitation Game might still be playing near you? If you're in the mood for an Oscar type film

I highly recommend Kingsmen, that was great

Jupiter Ascending is goofy fun

American Sniper if you haven't seen it?

There's nothing playing right now.

Maybe Birdman, Whiplash, Theory of Everything, Imitation Game might still be playing near you? If you're in the mood for an Oscar type film

I highly recommend Kingsmen, that was great

Jupiter Ascending is goofy fun

American Sniper if you haven't seen it?

Loved the Imitation Game. Have no desire to see the film about the atheist with als, or birdman or whiplash. I will see Cinderella this coming week. F7 will be some escapist fun in a month or so.

If you have to ask you'll never understand.

Besides it violates jwfans rules to go into it.

Bullshit!

It was only a matter of time before you chimed in.

And yet you really add nothing. Tell us again about American Sniper being racist. Please explain in detail.

I never said that the film was racist. But the character the film was based on certainly seems to be.

Anyway, what is wrong about being an atheist?

in what way is he racist. You can't or wont answer the question. You and I have discussed atheism at places it's safe to do so.

The American Sniper would have been effective during WWII would you call him racist for shooting Nazis?

Lets just say I have little interest in a man who has called Arabs or Muslims "savages". Boasted that he killed people during Hurricane Katrina and has claimed to have killed over 200 people.

Just not the kind of person I have any interest in getting to know or understand. Even if it is via sanitized Hollywood movies.

My friend you are clueless. Ta da. I would call a someone a savage if they give a child a bomb to kill other people too.

I can't wait until all of Europe thinks like Steef and opens the rest of their borders with love and brotherhood and tolerance to the Muslim people.